PSP Production Problem in Japan

Last response: in Video Games
December 10, 2004 4:25:22 AM

Once more Sony shows its inexperience in the video game industry...

- Mainichi reported that Sony seems to have a substantial problem with the
production of PSP, they can only deliver 200,000 units PSP at launch on
December 12; and ship an additional 100,000 units each week thereafter. Sony
will ship 500,000 units by the end of the year, and many dealers are still
unclear how many units they will receive. Sony is unable to increase the
supply at the moment.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 6:24:09 AM

Ice Wipe Inc. wrote:
> Once more Sony shows its inexperience in the video game industry...
>
> - Mainichi reported that Sony seems to have a substantial problem
> with the production of PSP, they can only deliver 200,000 units PSP
> at launch on December 12; and ship an additional 100,000 units each
> week thereafter. Sony will ship 500,000 units by the end of the year,
> and many dealers are still unclear how many units they will receive.
> Sony is unable to increase the supply at the moment.

Consider the fact that DS sales have already passed 700,000 in North America
alone, yeah... I'd say that's a problem for Sony.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 7:07:27 AM

If those figures turn out to be true, then that's just not acceptable in the
industry today. Nintendo already have a jumpstart, and though Sony has a
better title-lineup it doesn't matter if you don'thave any hardware to
sell...

"Toe Jam" <toejam@yourfoot.com> wrote in message
> Ice Wipe Inc. wrote:
> > Once more Sony shows its inexperience in the video game industry...
> >
> > - Mainichi reported that Sony seems to have a substantial problem
> > with the production of PSP, they can only deliver 200,000 units PSP
> > at launch on December 12; and ship an additional 100,000 units each
> > week thereafter. Sony will ship 500,000 units by the end of the year,
> > and many dealers are still unclear how many units they will receive.
> > Sony is unable to increase the supply at the moment.
>

> Consider the fact that DS sales have already passed 700,000 in North
America
> alone, yeah... I'd say that's a problem for Sony.

December 11, 2004 4:56:32 AM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 01:25:22 GMT, "Ice Wipe Inc."
<birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Once more Sony shows its inexperience in the video game industry...

Well, considering that its their third system, 'inexperience' really
isn't a valid excuse anymore...

Anyway, it seems to me that Sony's key problem is that they tend to
design a bit too close to the edge. Instead of picking a 'safe'
design well inside of realistic technological parameters, they design
completely unrealistic systems that push all the way to the
theoretical edge. That leads to low production yields, and that leads
to shortages. More than that, though, the systems that they do manage
to get out the door tend to have high failure rates...
December 11, 2004 1:10:59 PM

> More than that, though, the systems that they do manage
> to get out the door tend to have high failure rates...

Im a Nintendo Fanboy all the way, although I own a substantial number of
gamign devices:

1 x US and 1 x UK gamecube
1 x XBOX
1 x PS2
1 x N64
1 x Dreamcast
1 x PS1
1 x SNES
1 x Gameboy Advance
1 x Gameboy Advgance SP
1 x Nintendo DS

I probably have other kicking about, but you can tell I like my nintendo
kit...

However, you have said that the systems which Sony get out the door, tend to
have high failure rates? Which planet are you from? Whilst I wish it were
Nintendo who had such massive succsess, the Sony PS2 has sold an incanny
number of consoles!!!

Gary.
December 11, 2004 1:11:00 PM

"Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
> > More than that, though, the systems that they do manage
> > to get out the door tend to have high failure rates...
> >

> Im a Nintendo Fanboy all the way, although I own a substantial number of
> gamign devices:
>
> 1 x US and 1 x UK gamecube
> 1 x XBOX
> 1 x PS2
> 1 x N64
> 1 x Dreamcast
> 1 x PS1
> 1 x SNES
> 1 x Gameboy Advance
> 1 x Gameboy Advgance SP
> 1 x Nintendo DS
>

> I probably have other kicking about, but you can tell I like my nintendo
> kit...
>
> However, you have said that the systems which Sony get out the door, tend
> have high failure rates? Which planet are you from? Whilst I wish it
were
> Nintendo who had such massive succsess, the Sony PS2 has sold an incanny
> number of consoles!!!
>
> Gary.

I think he means that the machines breakdown, not that they don't sell.

drax
December 11, 2004 11:30:42 PM

> I think he means that the machines breakdown, not that they don't sell.
>
> drax

Oh...

<Shrugs and grins> :)
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:56:08 AM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:10:59 GMT, "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote:

>However, you have said that the systems which Sony get out the door, tend to
>have high failure rates? Which planet are you from? Whilst I wish it were
>Nintendo who had such massive succsess, the Sony PS2 has sold an incanny
>number of consoles!!!

What Drax said: I'm talking about the number of machines that break.
For both the PS1 and PS2, the machines sold in the first year or so
had a ridiculously high failure rate, in that the machines broke VERY
quickly (assuming you got one that worked in the first place.)
Defective drives were a very common problem with both, and the PS1 had
a lot of heat problems.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 4:48:03 PM

Ice Wipe Inc. wrote:

> Once more Sony shows its inexperience in the video game industry...
>
> - Mainichi reported that Sony seems to have a substantial problem with the
> production of PSP, they can only deliver 200,000 units PSP at launch on
> December 12; and ship an additional 100,000 units each week thereafter. Sony
> will ship 500,000 units by the end of the year, and many dealers are still
> unclear how many units they will receive. Sony is unable to increase the
> supply at the moment.

Sounds like Sony are going for the "What you can't have, you crave"
approach.

Luckily that's what Nintendo's got too, and through no "fault" of their
own to boot.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 12:12:50 PM

"drax" <drax1313@spamsandwichhotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
> > > More than that, though, the systems that they do manage
> > > to get out the door tend to have high failure rates...
> > >

> > Im a Nintendo Fanboy all the way, although I own a substantial number of
> > gamign devices:
> >
> > 1 x US and 1 x UK gamecube
> > 1 x XBOX
> > 1 x PS2
> > 1 x N64
> > 1 x Dreamcast
> > 1 x PS1
> > 1 x SNES
> > 1 x Gameboy Advance
> > 1 x Gameboy Advgance SP
> > 1 x Nintendo DS
> >

> > I probably have other kicking about, but you can tell I like my nintendo
> > kit...
> >
> > However, you have said that the systems which Sony get out the door,
tend
> > have high failure rates? Which planet are you from? Whilst I wish it
> were
> > Nintendo who had such massive succsess, the Sony PS2 has sold an incanny
> > number of consoles!!!
> >
> > Gary.
> >

> I think he means that the machines breakdown, not that they don't sell.
>
> drax

I can go to my local pawn shop and browse numerous ps1's and 2's in a bin
for parts only. I can't seem to find an original nintendo,Super or Gamecube
non-working there yet. Nintendo makes quality products...in my opinion, Sony
put's anything out there as fast as they can to make more money. Case in
point: I bought a $350.00 Sony dru-500ax DVD writer about a year and a half
ago....it lasted about 2 months with minimal use, I replaced with a cheap
lite-on that was faster and I'm going on more than a year of use with not
one problem. I don't respect sony because of this, and their poor customer
support. I also never saw any games on the PS2 that looked much better than
a Dreamcast game on very minor steroids.
December 14, 2004 12:12:51 PM

"Ninder" <pg61386@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "drax" <drax1313@spamsandwichhotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Gary" <g@g.com> wrote in message
> > > >

> > > Im a Nintendo Fanboy all the way, although I own a substantial number
of
> > > gamign devices:
> > >
> > > 1 x US and 1 x UK gamecube
> > > 1 x XBOX
> > > 1 x PS2
> > > 1 x N64
> > > 1 x Dreamcast
> > > 1 x PS1
> > > 1 x SNES
> > > 1 x Gameboy Advance
> > > 1 x Gameboy Advgance SP
> > > 1 x Nintendo DS
> > >

> > > I probably have other kicking about, but you can tell I like my
nintendo
> > > kit...
> > >
> > > However, you have said that the systems which Sony get out the door,
> tend
> > > have high failure rates? Which planet are you from? Whilst I wish it
> > were
> > > Nintendo who had such massive succsess, the Sony PS2 has sold an
incanny
> > > number of consoles!!!
> > >
> > > Gary.
> > >

> > I think he means that the machines breakdown, not that they don't sell.
> >
> > drax
> >

> I can go to my local pawn shop and browse numerous ps1's and 2's in a bin
> for parts only. I can't seem to find an original nintendo,Super or
Gamecube
> non-working there yet. Nintendo makes quality products...in my opinion,
Sony
> put's anything out there as fast as they can to make more money. Case in
> point: I bought a $350.00 Sony dru-500ax DVD writer about a year and a
half
> ago....it lasted about 2 months with minimal use, I replaced with a cheap
> lite-on that was faster and I'm going on more than a year of use with not
> one problem. I don't respect sony because of this, and their poor customer
> support. I also never saw any games on the PS2 that looked much better
than
> a Dreamcast game on very minor steroids.

I agree, I have been pretty disappointed with Sony in the last few years.
In fact, I've sworn off them for a while. Oddly enough my original
playstation is still running (although I bought it late in it's lifecycle),
but a PSOne I got from somebody has already died.

drax
!