Sign in with
Your question

Is this motherboard good?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 16, 2012 12:05:39 AM

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H @ 200mhz is this motherboard good? and would you class it as a high end motherboard?

More about : motherboard good

a c 328 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 12:09:48 AM

UD3 is on the bottom from high end.

It depends what u need from the board?

U can pay $350+ for high-end and use only the basic features, its not worth.

June 16, 2012 2:06:20 AM

this is my current motherboard im going to upgrade my cpu,gpu,psu and ram and was wondering if this mobo would support this upgrade:

GPU: Radeon 7870 OC
CPU: Phenom II X4 965 Black edition @ 3.4ghz
RAM: corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600mhz
PSU: Corsair 600 or 650W (havent decided yet)

Related resources
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 2:29:34 AM

Its good, will work fine.

600W is just fine.
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 3:09:37 AM

Yes, it will.
a c 148 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 3:32:06 AM

If you're going to be spending all that money to replace your CPU, mobo, and RAM, I'd strongly suggest you go with an Intel build. Disclaimer: I've built a lot more AMD than Intel systems in the past few years. Recent articles and benchmarks have shown, however, that there is no longer a price point at which Intel does not outperform AMD, sometimes by a very large margin. Judging from the graphics card you intend to buy, an AMD CPU may not give you the performance you want, even with an overclock. Go to www.anandtech.com and look at their "Bench" section to compare the various CPUs in a range of different tasks. Consider also power usage; electricity is not getting any cheaper, so using less power to get better performance is another obvious win for Intel.
June 16, 2012 3:39:51 AM

motherboards can only support one brand amd or intel my mobo supports amd and thats why i have to go with an amd cpu and the cpu i chose wont bottleneck the 7870 and i didnt say ill be replacing my mobo i was asking whether the mobo would support all the parts ive chosen also if i was going to replace the mobo also id just build a whole new system
June 16, 2012 3:42:03 AM

nikorr said:
Yes, it will.

thanks
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 3:42:05 AM

U are going to OC the CPU, right?
June 16, 2012 3:42:35 AM

nikorr said:
U are going to OC the CPU, right?

maybe depends on whether ill be getting 60+fps on all games i play
a c 148 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 3:42:48 AM

Ah, I misread it then, thought you were thinking of buying that board as part of a new build.
What CPU do you have now?
Money spent on a graphics card or PSU is not wasted, because those parts can always be moved into a new build later. The same would be true of DDR3 RAM.
a c 148 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 3:48:07 AM

^On THAT choice I will strenuously disagree. In competent technical reviews of unrelated products, Crappermaster has been proven to be dishonest. A rational individual does not support dishonesty. Fortunately, there are many other 120mm tower-style coolers on the market, with similar performance, and similar prices. Please choose an alternate product, such as the Xigmatek Gaia, or Corsair CAFA50.

Edit: My 970BE @4.0GHz is at 33C right now under a Xigmatek Gaia.
June 16, 2012 3:49:32 AM

Onus said:
Ah, I misread it then, thought you were thinking of buying that board as part of a new build.
What CPU do you have now?
Money spent on a graphics card or PSU is not wasted, because those parts can always be moved into a new build later. The same would be true of DDR3 RAM.

my current cpu is an athlon II x4 645
June 16, 2012 3:51:25 AM

Onus said:
^On THAT choice I will strenuously disagree. In competent technical reviews of unrelated products, Crappermaster has been proven to be dishonest. A rational individual does not support dishonesty. Fortunately, there are many other 120mm tower-style coolers on the market, with similar performance, and similar prices. Please choose an alternate product, such as the Xigmatek Gaia, or Corsair CAFA50.

did you oc your cpu by bios or using a program?
a c 148 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 3:54:37 AM

hydroxi said:
my current cpu is an athlon II x4 645

According to the chart at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o... you would be making only a one-tier jump, likely two with a decent overclock. I would suggest holding off on buying the new CPU until you see how the HD7870 performs with the one you have now.
a c 148 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 3:56:35 AM

hydroxi said:
did you oc your cpu by bios or using a program?

I used the BIOS. I have a 990FX board, which has a lot of overclocking options.

What case do you have? There are some low-profile coolers available. www.frostytech.com has reviews, and "top-5" lists.
June 16, 2012 3:57:19 AM

Onus said:
According to the chart at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o... you would be making only a one-tier jump, likely two with a decent overclock. I would suggest holding off on buying the new CPU until you see how the HD7870 performs with the one you have now.

[edit] nvm
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 3:58:11 AM

Onus said:

Post link to the bad review.

I don't care much for that CPU cooler, but its not bad at all.

It is better than some $45 coolers.

And the guy said he is not going to OC anyway.

I have build at least 2 PC'c with that cooler @ 4.4GHz and it gives the right temps.

Post the bad review..... I'd like to see that.
a c 148 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 4:02:00 AM

Note I said reviews of unrelated products (in this case, many of their PSUs). Many companies exaggerate, or offer best-case scenarios that are unrealistic at best, but claiming protection circuits that are in fact missing is an outright lie. I'll go grab some links and add them...
LL=Liar Label, MC=Missing Circuits

1. LL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-Ex...
2. MC: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-El...
3. LL AND MC: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-El...
4. LL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...
5. LL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

...I think that's enough. These aren't dings for poor quality, but for dishonesty. Many others get dinged for quality; my favorite is probably the remark in HardOCP's review of the GX-650 calling it a "polished turd in a box."
So anyway, there you have it; a company which should not be supported, regardless of the quality of its other products. And get this, it gets worse. Having been called on it, they're going to pull them from the North American market and foist them off elsewhere. This per Gabriel Torres: "I had a meeting with them during Computex and, according to them, they are removing all power supplies with fake wattage from the North American market (and dumping them somewhere else). "
June 16, 2012 4:02:48 AM

Onus said:
I used the BIOS. I have a 990FX board, which has a lot of overclocking options.

What case do you have? There are some low-profile coolers available. www.frostytech.com has reviews, and "top-5" lists.

i dont know what case i have is there a way to find out? i might have enough space for a cooler and not know it since i never actually put one into a computer.
June 16, 2012 4:14:34 AM

Onus said:

in that case would i need a new psu if i was just switching from a gts 450 to a 7850 or 7870?
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 4:17:10 AM

Can u post your specs...

CPU:
RAM: with link please.
Motherboard:
GPU:
PSU:
HDD:
OS type + version
a c 148 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 4:30:39 AM

hydroxi said:
in that case would i need a new psu if i was just switching from a gts 450 to a 7850 or 7870?

They'll run comfortably on a decent 450W PSU; the HD7850 on good 400W PSU. With a single PCIE power connector, the most power it could possibly pull according to specs is 150W; 75W for the slot plus 75W for the single 6-pin. That would be running flat out, not just playing games. With a HD7870, according to the PSU sizing calculator at http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine you would need 414W (minimum 364W). Subtract 20W if you go with the HD7850. Now that was based on my assumptions about # of drives, fans, and 10% capacitor aging. My assumptions could of course be off. Also, that was stock; if you overclock, you could easily add another 20W or more.
June 16, 2012 3:33:55 PM

2105315,26,499497 said:
Can u post your specs...

CPU: amd athlon II x4 645
RAM: 2x2gb 1333mhz dont have a link sorry
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H @ 200mhz
GPU: GTS 450
PSU: Fortron FSP500-60APN 500W (85 PLUS) ATX12V
HDD: 1TB
Windows 7 64bit ultimate
a c 148 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 3:45:50 PM

Your PSU should have no trouble with a HD7850 or HD7870.
June 16, 2012 8:12:19 PM

Onus said:
Your PSU should have no trouble with a HD7850 or HD7870.

ok thanks
!