Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Summer into College 2500k Gaming Build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
June 28, 2011 11:43:35 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next month

Budget Range: I've been given $1000 as a gift but I have some wiggle room that I can add with my own money + rebates.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, internet, college work (nothing extensive like media editing)

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, speakers, Monitor, OS (I'll be using Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, MicroCenter

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: What's best

Overclocking: Not immediately, I'd like to see stock results and then go from there.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes , for future upgrading when necessary.

Monitor Resolution: I have a 23 inch ASUS VH236H monitor at a 1920 x 1080 resolution

Additional Comments: This will be my first build ever. Thermal paste? What other tools will I need in order to put the rig together?Need good airflow and SLI later.

Not sure of the best manufacturers of parts but I'm sure the experts here can point me in the right direction...

i5-2500k (I know Microcenter has 'em for $179.99)

Twin Frozr II 560 ti OC edition or EVGA Superclocked 560 Ti? Anything better?

Ram 4 or 8 GB?

Harddrive 1 TB

The rest please?

More about : summer college 2500k gaming build

June 28, 2011 11:54:57 PM

Hi there, welcome to the forums.

Another summer project! Excellent.

I hate to be lazy, but I recommend you check out this thread right here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/312822-31-bestconfigs...

With the savings on the 2500k, you can easily upgrade to 8GB ram and for sure fit a 1TB drive.

For manufacturers, i go in this order for mobo's: Asus>Gigabyte>ASRock>MSI>Biostar>other stuff.

For GPU's: EVGA>XFX>MSI>Asus>Gigabyte>Sapphire>Zotac>Palit/ECS/PNY/Sparkle.

That should give you a good start!

m
0
l
June 29, 2011 12:03:11 AM

Any idea as to which build in that thread is the best?
m
0
l
Related resources
June 29, 2011 12:06:18 AM

Hmm... I dunno bout that bias Striker.

For 1000$ you can check out my build guide in my siggy. It'd be a great start. If you could buy them off my sight even better, but your decision. (I don't sell the parts, Amazon does, I just get commission)
m
0
l
June 29, 2011 12:14:28 AM

I've been browsing this site for quite some time but this is the first time I've posted.

As for your $1000 build, Azn, I have looked at it extensively yet I'm concerned if there's anything dated in it or could be improved on by this point.
m
0
l
June 29, 2011 12:17:04 AM

Nope it's up to date. Well technically I haven't updated it in a while. However parts wise it is up to date. Until BD comes there is no necessary revisions to be made.
m
0
l
June 29, 2011 12:42:54 AM

Here's a start for you. Also I like the MSI Twin Twin Frozr and Gigabyte 560's for their cooling and superior o/c capabilities.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $154.98 + $15.00 Mail In Rebates save: $15.00
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $188.98 save: $40.00
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $29.99 FREE SHIPPING
XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler bracket included I7 i5 775 1155 AMD and dual fan push pull compatible

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $18.99 FREE SHIPPING
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

http://www.superbiiz.com/query.php?categry=636&name=Nvi... <---- Here's a another site with decent deals on those gtx 560's.
m
0
l
June 29, 2011 1:08:48 AM

What's the difference between in RAM with DDR3 and DDR5? 1333 and 1666? Also is it supposed to be matching with the GPU's GDDR3 or GDDR5?
m
0
l
June 29, 2011 1:13:35 AM

DDR5 = GPU only, for now I suppose.
DDR3 is the current memory standard. It utillizes less than DDR5 meaning less optimized but still is better than prior desktop memory.
1333 and 1600 is a small difference of speed in the real world.
m
0
l
June 29, 2011 1:27:53 AM

Any reputable thermal paste?
m
0
l
June 29, 2011 1:29:21 AM

Artic Silver 5
m
0
l
June 29, 2011 1:58:36 AM

Okay, so here's what I have so far:

http://imageshack.us/f/856/wishlistn.png/ (Slightly different now, parts listed later in thread)

Sub Total: $937.89
Shipping: $ 7.63
= $945.52
I'll be purchasing the i5-2500k at MicroCenter for $179.99 and the 212+ on Amazon for about $15 cheaper so:
$945.52 - $65 = approximately $880.52 before tax and rebates.

Can I do better? Is there anything I am missing or can improve upon? Is everything compatible? Any bottlenecks?
m
0
l
June 29, 2011 2:39:25 AM

Lol, Who's biased now? Jk jk.

I like the build. Since you are saving quite a bit You should be able to pick up another GTX 560 Ti.
Also go for the normal version of the 560 Ti. It will let you save a bit off the GPU.

For Shinobi: What is your parts preference? I'm all ears.
m
0
l
June 29, 2011 4:26:48 AM

Haha I have no preference actually. I do favor CM as they are always the underdog, but I prefer to keep mutual as to recommend the best parts possible. I do however dislike favoring of parts. I think it doesn't give chance for better products that are less known. IE Asus gets the favor because many people know it, however people don't know that they're parts are in some cases overpriced. IE P8P67 Pro ($180) vs Extreme4 P67 ($160) they both practically perform the same but they prefer the Asus because it is better known. Or when people pick WD Blacks over F3s. WTF? F3's are just as good and quieter but cheaper by 15-20$. :p 

Oh, my website makes me stay unbiased.

Maybe that's why I like AMD, for underdog reasons.
m
0
l
June 29, 2011 4:31:16 AM

True that. However I did put a disclamer there, it's how I would rank them. If there were an awesome deal on any of them, I'd snap it up. I'm just going with the brands I know.

And My badassery (or humility? :p ) makes me unbiased. Beat that!
m
0
l
June 29, 2011 4:32:24 AM

Haha, true. You did say IMO.
m
0
l
June 30, 2011 8:27:47 PM

striker410 said:

I like the build. Since you are saving quite a bit You should be able to pick up another GTX 560 Ti.
Also go for the normal version of the 560 Ti. It will let you save a bit off the GPU.


Why? I'm already under my budget. Is it better to go for the normal version for other than price? Is it also safe to say that having Superclocked 560 Ti's in SLI is better than the normal 560 Ti's in SLI?

Here's the list of parts:

Processor-
i5 2500k

Motherboard-
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM-
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power Supply-
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard Drive-
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cooler-
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU-
EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DVD Burner-
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case-
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thermal Paste-
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EDIT: Changed Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive to SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

How does it look?
m
0
l
June 30, 2011 11:25:18 PM

The superclocked GPU's dont have any advantages. In 5 minutes you can OC the card to make it "Superclocked". Btw get the hyper 212+ from amazon and save $15.

That's about it!
m
0
l
July 1, 2011 12:09:12 AM

Just a few questions:

Of the EVGA 560 ti and the MSI Twin Frozr 560 Ti OC edition, which one has the edge? I know MSI has reputable cooling.

Will a 650w power supply be enough for my eventual SLI of whichever 560 ti? I dont want to be up to the limit straining the PSU. Could you recommend me a good one?

Is the motherboard compatible with all other parts, regarding PCI, pins, connectors, etc?
m
0
l
July 1, 2011 12:18:48 AM

Ragdoll47 said:
Just a few questions:

Of the EVGA 560 ti and the MSI Twin Frozr 560 Ti OC edition, which one has the edge? I know MSI has reputable cooling.

Will a 650w power supply be enough for my eventual SLI of whichever 560 ti? I dont want to be up to the limit straining the PSU. Could you recommend me a good one?

Is the motherboard compatible with all other parts, regarding PCI, pins, connectors, etc?

Either one of those cards will work fine.

A 650w will not be enough to push two of those cards. 750w is the norm for dual 560's.
m
0
l
July 1, 2011 1:00:13 AM

if you dont have a laptop get on. a desktop is much less useful then a laptop and a nvidia gt 540m will play almost all games on medium or higher.
m
0
l
July 1, 2011 4:30:10 AM

Wait 650w striker?
GeForce GTX 560 in 2-way SLI
A second card requires you to add another ~175 Watts. You need a 700+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (800+ to a KiloWatt is recommended if you plan on any overclocking).

Which if he is getting the 2500K I'm assuming there will be overclocking. The 750w is highly recommended. 540m is hardly even a card. Might as well get a laptop Llano. The top of the line Llano for the Laptops are much better than the 540m.
m
0
l
July 1, 2011 5:36:22 AM

it can play crysis warhead on high and ultra with 20-22fps with an overclock? how is that hardly even a card?
m
0
l
July 1, 2011 6:16:08 AM

An overclock? In a laptop, you want your laptop to burn don't you?
Could I see these benchs?
m
0
l
July 1, 2011 6:35:24 AM

aznshinobi said:
An overclock? In a laptop, you want your laptop to burn don't you?
Could I see these benchs?


yep an overclock. gpu never exceeds 85* c in metro at 800/1025 from 672/900. max safe temp is 95* c. i consider playable 28-30 fps for the most part.

benches dont tell the whole truth. fact displays theory and ill will tell you what the 540m will get. name the game and chances are if its popular i have it. metro, warhead, crysis 2, black ops, bfbc2,f1 2010, nfs shift, gta4, dirt 3, and splinter cell conviction to name a few. all will play on high setting or higher(ultra being the highest).
m
0
l
July 1, 2011 6:39:43 AM

That's part of their stock writing. If you look at actual power consumption levels (449w with overclocked i7-950) he should be well within the limits, running around 70%. And as you can see, I suggest a 750w simply for the connectors.

Congrats on gold Shinobi!
m
0
l
July 1, 2011 6:46:47 AM

^ Ahhh I see.
Thanks striker!

cbrunnem, but benches do tell the truth. They depict what the card would get on a certain setting. So back up your evidence please.
m
0
l
July 2, 2011 2:51:04 AM

It should run games very well, but it won't max them. The Witcher 2 is a very intensive game, and 2 560 Ti's would probably not even be enough to max it. If you can get a cheaper board and go with 4GB ram (and combo like a fool) You can probably fit another 560 Ti in there. At least a 6970.
m
0
l
July 2, 2011 3:09:43 AM

striker410 said:
It should run games very well, but it won't max them. The Witcher 2 is a very intensive game, and 2 560 Ti's would probably not even be enough to max it. If you can get a cheaper board and go with 4GB ram (and combo like a fool) You can probably fit another 560 Ti in there. At least a 6970.


I was gonna say... some parts are out of stock / no longer combo'd.
m
0
l
July 2, 2011 3:11:56 AM

Yeah, I saw that. When I made it a week ago it was top notch! If you want me to adjust it, I can try... Usually the combo's come back in the 2nd week of the month.
m
0
l
July 2, 2011 3:19:56 AM

striker410 said:
If you want me to adjust it, I can try... Usually the combo's come back in the 2nd week of the month.


I'd very much appreciate it.

I've got a few wishlists set up on newegg right now, I'm trying my options on which one is the best. The more, the merrier!
m
0
l
July 2, 2011 4:29:58 AM

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor $449

Motherboard: MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $115

RAM: Kingston Hyper X 1333Mhz $38

Graphics Card: Zotac 560 Ti $220 (placeholder card more than anything.)

Second Graphics Card: Bundled with processor

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB $50 (combo should come back. If not, lose the $10 and get the parts spearately)

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $60

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts 750w $90 (AMAZING buy)

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler $30

DVD Burner: Combo'd above

That should help things. If you can't fit it all in, let me know and I'll rework the combo's.
m
0
l
July 2, 2011 5:50:03 AM

striker410 said:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor $449

Motherboard: MSI P67A-G43 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $115

RAM: Kingston Hyper X 1333Mhz $38

Graphics Card: Zotac 560 Ti $220 (placeholder card more than anything.)

Second Graphics Card: Bundled with processor

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB $50 (combo should come back. If not, lose the $10 and get the parts spearately)

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $60

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts 750w $90 (AMAZING buy)

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler $30

DVD Burner: Combo'd above

That should help things. If you can't fit it all in, let me know and I'll rework the combo's.

That board doesn't come with an SLI bridge. So you either have to purchase a separate SLI bridge or better yet choose another board.
m
0
l
July 2, 2011 7:45:01 AM

^ Oh I know Why_Me, that's why it's not in the picture. I'm just saying that mb+CPU because there is actually a combo deal for it.
m
0
l
July 4, 2011 1:52:33 AM

Would it help if I upped the budget to $1200? A 570 perhaps? Or SLI'd 560 ti's right off the bat?
m
0
l
July 4, 2011 1:57:05 AM

Here's a build that's in your budget that I posted on here earlier today that you might want to look at.

This build down below gives you a decent mobo, decent case w/3.0 usb ports, after market h/s (thermal paste included, and allows you to add another one of those factory o/c gtx 560's later on for SLI.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Enforcer-Interior-S... $79.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer USB 3.0 Mid Tower ATX Case with Window and Black Interior (SGC-1000-KWN1)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99 - $69.99 after mail-in rebate FREE SHIPPING
Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-68A3HB3&tit... $124.99 Free Shipping
GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Socket 1155/ Intel Z68/ DDR3/ ATI CrossFireX & nVidia SLI/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $454.98 $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Card Price After Mail-In Rebate(s): $434.98 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G1YPH0/ref=ox_sc_a... $29.51 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $40.99 FREE SHIPPING
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996946

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Spinpoint-3-5-Inch-Intern... $59.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Samsung Desktop Class Spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare-OEM Drives, HD103SJ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $19.99 FREE SHIPPING
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Total: $910.43 - $860.43 after mail in rebates

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=288 <----- AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE vs Intel Core i5 2500K

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/01/27/ms... <------ MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC Review / Benchmarks

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id... <----- CM Storm Enforcer w/pics, specs, and professional reviews

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <---- That's the same mobo as up above with pics, specs, and reviews

That case comes with the option to add another 200mm fan to it.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Computer-Cooling-R4... $14.31 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling R4-LUS-07AR-GP Red LED 200mm Case Fan

That same mobo @ amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Intel-DDR3-Motherboard-G... $128.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Gigabyte Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 2133 LGA 1155 Motherboard GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
m
0
l
July 4, 2011 2:19:20 AM

Would you say that these cases are better than the HAF series? Also, I've already got an OS (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, for $16!) Plus Microcenter offers the 2500k for $179.99, making that Processor/ GPU combo beat.

With all this saving and the $200 budget increase of mine, I'm sure the rig can be better from the start.
m
0
l
July 4, 2011 3:33:49 AM

Ragdoll47 said:
Would you say that these cases are better than the HAF series? Also, I've already got an OS (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, for $16!) Plus Microcenter offers the 2500k for $179.99, making that Processor/ GPU combo beat.

With all this saving and the $200 budget increase of mine, I'm sure the rig can be better from the start.

That case (CM Storm Enforcer) is a modified CM HAF 912. Differences are the side window, more and larger fans, the usb 3.0 ports, and of course the door on the front.

If I had $200 to spare and I was looking for a board that gave me a higher o/c then I might look at this board down below and add a 2x4GB set of RAM. Otherwise that build as it stands is more than decent imo. When you get some spare change...or if you skip upgrading on the board then I would get another one of those MSI 560's right off the get go. Those cards in SLI mop the floor with a single 580, and a single one of those cards not only o/c like a beast, they run on par with a gtx 570. Look at the review / benchmarks I linked on that build.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P67X4B3&tit... $154.99 Free Shipping
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 B3 LGA1155/ Intel P67 B3/ DDR3/ Quad SLI & Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $74.99 FREE SHIPPING $15 off w/ promo code EMCKCKJ29, ends 7/4
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000116#axzz1... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard
m
0
l
July 4, 2011 3:59:35 AM

Why_Me said:
That case (CM Storm Enforcer) is a modified CM HAF 912. Differences are the side window, more and larger fans, the usb 3.0 ports, and of course the door on the front.

If I had $200 to spare and I was looking for a board that gave me a higher o/c then I might look at this board down below and add a 2x4GB set of RAM. Otherwise that build as it stands is more than decent imo. When you get some spare change...or if you skip upgrading on the board then I would get another one of those MSI 560's right off the get go. Those cards in SLI mop the floor with a single 580, and a single one of those cards not only o/c like a beast, they run on par with a gtx 570. Look at the review / benchmarks I linked on that build.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P67X4B3&tit... $154.99 Free Shipping
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 B3 LGA1155/ Intel P67 B3/ DDR3/ Quad SLI & Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $74.99 FREE SHIPPING $15 off w/ promo code EMCKCKJ29, ends 7/4
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000116#axzz1... <---Review on that Asrock motherboard


How would a 6950 and 6950 in Crossfire compare to the 560 ti and 560 ti SLI'd, respectively? Are the 560 ti OC editions better at cooling? 1920 x 1080 btw.
m
0
l
July 4, 2011 4:09:03 AM

560 Ti's run A LOT cooler than 6950's and a lot quieter. They OC about the same IMO. I mean apparently you can actually just manually OC the 6950 to the 6970.
m
0
l
July 4, 2011 4:15:45 AM

Why_Me said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $74.99 FREE SHIPPING $15 off w/ promo code EMCKCKJ29, ends 7/4
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR


Hmm, it says that this RAM is designed for Intel LGA 1156 cores. The ASRock P67 EXTREME4 B3 is 1155.
m
0
l
July 4, 2011 4:16:57 AM

Don't look at that, it's just marketing schemes. All ram works for any board as long as it is the correct type (DDR, DDR2, DDR3)
m
0
l
July 4, 2011 4:24:28 AM

aznshinobi said:
560 Ti's run A LOT cooler than 6950's and a lot quieter. They OC about the same IMO. I mean apparently you can actually just manually OC the 6950 to the 6970.

Okay, I was leaning towards the SLI'd 560 ti oc editions anyway. Just wanted to know the other options.

aznshinobi said:
Don't look at that, it's just marketing schemes. All ram works for any board as long as it is the correct type (DDR, DDR2, DDR3)

I won't be ordering that RAM or anything by tomorrow anyway, thus missing the $15 off promo. I'm planning ordering everything in a little over a week, how long does newegg and amazon typically take in delivering the parts?

m
0
l
July 4, 2011 4:27:40 AM

Depends, Newegg usually offers free 3 day shipping. While Amazon it depends on the distribute but usually they honor a 3-5 day shipping. Sometimes they do the trial Prime membership where you can have free 2 day shipping for 1 month.
m
0
l
July 4, 2011 6:46:04 AM

Ragdoll47 said:
Would you say that these cases are better than the HAF series? Also, I've already got an OS (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, for $16!) Plus Microcenter offers the 2500k for $179.99, making that Processor/ GPU combo beat.

With all this saving and the $200 budget increase of mine, I'm sure the rig can be better from the start.


You cant order online with microcenter. you have to go to the store to purchase their stuff.
m
0
l
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!