Your question

X86 family 15 model 2 stepping 9

Last response: in CPUs
September 24, 2011 9:16:02 PM

Hello,
How do I speed up this computer?
a c 134 à CPUs
September 24, 2011 9:46:04 PM

Go to a very high bridge and toss it over. Gravity will make it very fast.

A single core P4/Celeron has very limited uses anymore. It would make a fine print or file server though it wouldn't be low power by todays standards.
September 24, 2011 9:49:28 PM

You could buy a newer graphics card it always helps everything if you trying to game. What games are you trying to play if games or what productivity applications if that applys.
Related resources
September 24, 2011 9:54:49 PM

yo_yo2400 said:
You could buy a newer graphics card it always helps everything if you trying to game. What games are you trying to play if games or what productivity applications if that applys.

No... not trying to game mainly, but it does happen. Just when starting up computer it's very slow and after being on awhile, it seems to speed up on its own. And I can do normal work with it. As far as gaming, it is used for gaming occasionally and will look into a new graphics card. Any other suggestions??? The bridge idea is not an option right now...
September 24, 2011 9:56:09 PM

It is a Hewlett Packard d530 CMT (compaq) Computer.
September 24, 2011 9:59:17 PM

I'd reinstall windows on it. It is running XP correct?
September 24, 2011 10:05:30 PM

yo_yo2400 said:
I'd reinstall windows on it. It is running XP correct?

Everything is running correctly as the program goes. No Lockups or anything but start up is slow and eventually speeds up to be able to Read, Scan Messages and do work. The idea of a new gaming card might work for the gaming part, but that's never a startup issue. I have taken classes and completed the course for Computer Technician but I learned using Windows 2000 and by the time I finished school Windows XP had come out - so I learned alot about XP on my own.
September 24, 2011 10:06:33 PM

This computer is running Windows Professional XP
September 24, 2011 10:21:38 PM

yo_yo2400 said:
Well try running this software. http://www.hdtune.com/download.html
Tell me if everything passes S.M.A.R.T. and its read performance. Should be in Mbps.

I will go there and try the download and see what happens and when I come back in a while, I will send you a message here on the postings. Thanks.
a c 134 à CPUs
September 25, 2011 11:37:54 PM

A full hard drive would cause performance issue .. but MS Updates have had a major impact on XP performance also. A single core processor just doesn't cut it anymore IMO. Sorry for the bad news. You can try uninstalling sp3 but that may 'break' some other programs.
!