Need advice on replacing/upgrading my 4830 please

zrike

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week(though I can wait) BUDGET RANGE: $100-$130

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming(current/future), Watching video, Bitcoin mining(not really important. Side note: getting into this is what tipped me off to my dust problem)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: HIS Radeon HD 4830 and a 600 or 650psu(I'll take a look a little later so this is more exact.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel Pentium DC E2200 2.20GHz processor, MSI P6NGM2-L GeForce 7050 Socket 775 Motherboard, Crucial 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667Mhz RAM, CRUCIAL 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHZ RAM, Power Up Black 302 ATX Mid-T Case, 2 80mm Fans pushing out in the back, and an expansion slot fan. Getting a 120mm? fan to pull in air soon.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com(open to suggesstion though) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: ATI cards are preferable, I'm used to using them.

OVERCLOCKING: yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe(current Motherboard doesn't support it)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: About two years ago(just past the warranty), I bought a Radeon 4830. Unfortunately, I let dust build up, and temps started getting high... Ive cleaned my system out and installed some fans, but I've been noticing graphical errors(such as blacked out areas/pixelation). I think I killed my video card early because of said temperatures, so I'm guessing I need to get a new one and keep it dust free(though if the problem is indicative of something else, please let me know).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Personally, I think my whole system needs an upgrade, but I can only spend about $100 bucks, give or take a bit($130 would be the ABSOLUTE maximum), and with my problem, the video card takes priority. Ive looked around a bit, and the card in the link above looks promising, but feel free to suggest another card.

One thing I'm worried about if i get this card, is that my current one has 256-bit Memory Interface, and the 5770 has 128-bit. Would this be an issue?

Examples of my graphical errors: Example 1, Example 2

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my OS is Windows XP(when I put this together from a barebones kit(minus the card and psu), I was advised it wouldn't run the better OS's well(vista/7)).

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
look into the 6790? might be a little more then you wanted to spend though I'm sure you can find a deal somewhere to bring it in your price rang. Hell you might even scratch by with a 6850 if you really look.

The memory interface could be an issue with your resolution.

zrike

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011

Those are a bit higher then I wanted, but they look like very good cards. Could someone else confirm these are the best option for an ATI/AMD(whatever theyre called now) card?

That looks like a very good deal, but next on my priority list is upgrading the Motherboard and CPU(though not for another couple months, and at a similar price point). I read that while intel is the king of speed, AMD has better prices. So if I'm likely to get an AMD board in the future, shouldn't I get a card with better synergy?

And thanks for answering my question about the memory interface.