Nintendo DS - MSN Messenger - Internet surfing?

Is it possible to run MSN messenger or surf the net on DS using Wi-FI?

Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about nintendo messenger internet surfing

    Right now, no. But keep an eye out for 3rd-party software that will allow
    you to though. The DS offers all the features that make it narly perfect
    for what you probably want.

    "Trouble" <n@n.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to run MSN messenger or surf the net on DS using Wi-FI?
    >
    > Thanks

    > Is it possible to run MSN messenger or surf the net on DS using Wi-FI?

    It certaintly could be possible!

    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Nintendo -- either develop some internet
    applications for the DS or make it easy for third parties to do so. I want
    to use my DS as a cool little internet device in addition to gaming!

    "Eric" <none@nospam.not> schreef in bericht
    >> Is it possible to run MSN messenger or surf the net on DS using Wi-FI?
    >
    > It certaintly could be possible!
    >
    > PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Nintendo -- either develop some internet
    > applications for the DS or make it easy for third parties to do so. I
    > want
    > to use my DS as a cool little internet device in addition to gaming!

    But then again? Where how would you browse on the internet with the DS? The
    only possibility is near the so-called hotspots.. And these are really
    common or rare, depending on where you live. In my case I would have to go
    all the way to the library to surf the internet... which means that the
    portability of the device will be somewhat limited.

    > But then again? Where how would you browse on the internet with the DS?
    The
    > only possibility is near the so-called hotspots.. And these are really
    > common or rare, depending on where you live. In my case I would have to go
    > all the way to the library to surf the internet... which means that the
    > portability of the device will be somewhat limited.

    I use my PDA(s) for web browing and emailing enough to warrant using the DS.
    Either from my wireless home network, at work, school (3/4th of the
    university I was attending was blanketed), and also many places around town.

    With software done well, I'd prefer to use the DS over a PDA for web
    browsing and emailing. Interneting with PDAs is bulky and awkard. With the
    DS's two LCD's, it could be put together very nicely.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > But then again? Where how would you browse on the internet with the DS?
    The
    > only possibility is near the so-called hotspots.. And these are really
    > common or rare, depending on where you live. In my case I would have to go
    > all the way to the library to surf the internet... which means that the
    > portability of the device will be somewhat limited.

    Agreed that 802.11 is a hit or miss thing, depending on location. Perhaps
    I'm fortunate with enough public hot spots to make it viable, but give it
    time -- you should see more open hot spots in your area as well.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    >> But then again? Where how would you browse on the internet with the DS?
    > The
    >> only possibility is near the so-called hotspots.. And these are really
    >> common or rare, depending on where you live. In my case I would have to
    >> go
    >> all the way to the library to surf the internet... which means that the
    >> portability of the device will be somewhat limited.
    >
    > Agreed that 802.11 is a hit or miss thing, depending on location. Perhaps
    > I'm fortunate with enough public hot spots to make it viable, but give it
    > time -- you should see more open hot spots in your area as well.

    Providers like Vodafone and ISP's are promoting Wi-fi more and more over
    here... But with UMTS having far more coverage here, it's more likely UMTS
    will be the next wireless platform of the future, rather than wi-fi, as this
    costs more for the providers - being a loss-loss situation, correct me if
    I'm wrong, though.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > Providers like Vodafone and ISP's are promoting Wi-fi more and more over
    > here... But with UMTS having far more coverage here, it's more likely UMTS
    > will be the next wireless platform of the future, rather than wi-fi, as
    this
    > costs more for the providers - being a loss-loss situation, correct me if
    > I'm wrong, though.

    Oh, I'm not attempting to classify 802.11 as a general wireless internet
    solution, rather than just a niche LAN solution...

    UMTS.. Honestly, I haven't followed any of the cell technologies for a few
    years now. Is UMTS's lineage based upon CDMA or GSM? From a quick google,
    I just seen that UMTS is also refered to "W-CDMA", but also read a passage
    saying it was a follow-up to GSM/GPRS..

    Many years ago, I had worked with CDMA (SSMA) equipment in the US
    military -- years before it made an appearance in the commercial world.
    From various inherent limitations I saw with CDMA, I thought GSM would be a
    better commercial solution. Of course, later the US would move primarily
    towards CDMA while Europe went with GSM...

    -Eric
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    >> Providers like Vodafone and ISP's are promoting Wi-fi more and more over
    >> here... But with UMTS having far more coverage here, it's more likely
    >> UMTS
    >> will be the next wireless platform of the future, rather than wi-fi, as
    > this
    >> costs more for the providers - being a loss-loss situation, correct me if
    >> I'm wrong, though.
    >
    > Oh, I'm not attempting to classify 802.11 as a general wireless internet
    > solution, rather than just a niche LAN solution...
    >
    > UMTS.. Honestly, I haven't followed any of the cell technologies for a
    > few
    > years now. Is UMTS's lineage based upon CDMA or GSM? From a quick
    > google,
    > I just seen that UMTS is also refered to "W-CDMA", but also read a passage
    > saying it was a follow-up to GSM/GPRS..
    >
    > Many years ago, I had worked with CDMA (SSMA) equipment in the US
    > military -- years before it made an appearance in the commercial world.
    > From various inherent limitations I saw with CDMA, I thought GSM would be
    > better commercial solution. Of course, later the US would move primarily
    > towards CDMA while Europe went with GSM...
    >
    > -Eric

    It's actually seen as the GPRS follow-up. Through UMTS it's possible to
    stream and download files through a much higher speed than GPRS. This makes
    it possible, for example, to use video telephony and watch TV on your phone.
    Anyway, we'll see if wi-fi will be this successful... Things are usually
    inferior to the mass, and I s'pose GSM/GPRS/UMTS will still be the most
    widely used data-network in Europe.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > > UMTS.. Honestly, I haven't followed any of the cell technologies for a
    > > few
    > > years now. Is UMTS's lineage based upon CDMA or GSM? From a quick
    > > google,
    > > I just seen that UMTS is also refered to "W-CDMA", but also read a
    passage
    > > saying it was a follow-up to GSM/GPRS..
    > >
    > > Many years ago, I had worked with CDMA (SSMA) equipment in the US
    > > military -- years before it made an appearance in the commercial world.
    > > From various inherent limitations I saw with CDMA, I thought GSM would
    be
    > > better commercial solution. Of course, later the US would move
    primarily
    > > towards CDMA while Europe went with GSM...
    > >
    > > -Eric
    >
    > It's actually seen as the GPRS follow-up. Through UMTS it's possible to
    > stream and download files through a much higher speed than GPRS. This
    makes
    > it possible, for example, to use video telephony and watch TV on your
    phone.
    > Anyway, we'll see if wi-fi will be this successful... Things are usually
    > inferior to the mass, and I s'pose GSM/GPRS/UMTS will still be the most
    > widely used data-network in Europe.

    Thats awesome. If I lived in Europe, I wouldn't even have a land-line
    phone. I recall reading an article once that in Finland, 80+ percent of the
    population solely uses cell phones...
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Inferno <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote:

    > But then again? Where how would you browse on the internet with the DS? The
    > only possibility is near the so-called hotspots.. And these are really
    > common or rare, depending on where you live. In my case I would have to go
    > all the way to the library to surf the internet... which means that the
    > portability of the device will be somewhat limited.

    If you have wireless at home, you could surf from the toilet (and isn't
    that really the "killer app" the internet needs? ;) Sure, you could do it
    with a laptop, but have you actually tried putting a laptop on you lap?
    On your bare lap? Ouch.

    Besides, many airports are offering wifi, as are many coffee shops and
    other restaurants. The number of hotspots is growing.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote

    > If you have wireless at home, you could surf from the toilet (and isn't
    > that really the "killer app" the internet needs? ;) Sure, you could do it
    > with a laptop, but have you actually tried putting a laptop on you lap?
    > On your bare lap? Ouch.

    I do just that with my PDA's. Web/email from the toilet, using my 802.11...

    > Besides, many airports are offering wifi, as are many coffee shops and
    > other restaurants. The number of hotspots is growing.

    I'm with you. The DS needs a web browser and email client! The
    architecture of the DS is begging for such applications. With software done
    well, I'd even prefer to use the DS over my PDA's -- since two screens gives
    much more flexibility.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Can the DS hook up with online IM services like AIM or MSN? I thought it
    was just a peer to peer thing. Don't remember any info on how to enter a
    WEP key/pw for example.

    On 12/30/04 11:37 AM, in article 10t8f6ikd2nf9b@corp.supernews.com, "Eric"
    <none@nospam.not> wrote ever so eloquently:

    > "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote
    >
    >> If you have wireless at home, you could surf from the toilet (and isn't
    >> that really the "killer app" the internet needs? ;) Sure, you could do it
    >> with a laptop, but have you actually tried putting a laptop on you lap?
    >> On your bare lap? Ouch.
    >
    > I do just that with my PDA's. Web/email from the toilet, using my 802.11...
    >
    >> Besides, many airports are offering wifi, as are many coffee shops and
    >> other restaurants. The number of hotspots is growing.
    >
    > I'm with you. The DS needs a web browser and email client! The
    > architecture of the DS is begging for such applications. With software done
    > well, I'd even prefer to use the DS over my PDA's -- since two screens gives
    > much more flexibility.

    n u l l a n -at- H_o_u_s_t_o_n . R_._R . C_o_m
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Use Email Addr at Bottom of Post" wrote in message
    > Can the DS hook up with online IM services like AIM or MSN? I thought it
    > was just a peer to peer thing. Don't remember any info on how to enter a
    > WEP key/pw for example.

    The DS's 802.11b can support both AdHoc or Infrastructure, so there
    shouldn't be any technical reason why a DS shouldn't be able to do AIM, MSN,
    or essentially any tcp/ip application for that matter. (Providing someone
    develops the software to do such applications, of course.)

    Encryption for 802.11b (WEP) can be done through software? I seem to recall
    reading that the DS's 802.11b could support WEP (64 and 128 bit) encryption
    anyway.

Console Gaming Nintendo MSN Messenger Internet Video Games