Nintendo DS - MSN Messenger - Internet surfing?

Last response: in Video Games
December 10, 2004 4:35:29 AM

Is it possible to run MSN messenger or surf the net on DS using Wi-FI?

Thanks
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 10:01:48 AM

Right now, no. But keep an eye out for 3rd-party software that will allow
you to though. The DS offers all the features that make it narly perfect
for what you probably want.

"Trouble" <n@n.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to run MSN messenger or surf the net on DS using Wi-FI?
>
> Thanks

December 10, 2004 11:31:46 PM

> Is it possible to run MSN messenger or surf the net on DS using Wi-FI?

It certaintly could be possible!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Nintendo -- either develop some internet
applications for the DS or make it easy for third parties to do so. I want
to use my DS as a cool little internet device in addition to gaming!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 12, 2004 8:22:19 PM

"Eric" <none@nospam.not> schreef in bericht
>> Is it possible to run MSN messenger or surf the net on DS using Wi-FI?
>
> It certaintly could be possible!
>
> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Nintendo -- either develop some internet
> applications for the DS or make it easy for third parties to do so. I
> want
> to use my DS as a cool little internet device in addition to gaming!

But then again? Where how would you browse on the internet with the DS? The
only possibility is near the so-called hotspots.. And these are really
common or rare, depending on where you live. In my case I would have to go
all the way to the library to surf the internet... which means that the
portability of the device will be somewhat limited.
December 12, 2004 8:22:20 PM

> But then again? Where how would you browse on the internet with the DS?
The
> only possibility is near the so-called hotspots.. And these are really
> common or rare, depending on where you live. In my case I would have to go
> all the way to the library to surf the internet... which means that the
> portability of the device will be somewhat limited.

I use my PDA(s) for web browing and emailing enough to warrant using the DS.
Either from my wireless home network, at work, school (3/4th of the
university I was attending was blanketed), and also many places around town.

With software done well, I'd prefer to use the DS over a PDA for web
browsing and emailing. Interneting with PDAs is bulky and awkard. With the
DS's two LCD's, it could be put together very nicely.
December 12, 2004 8:22:20 PM

> But then again? Where how would you browse on the internet with the DS?
The
> only possibility is near the so-called hotspots.. And these are really
> common or rare, depending on where you live. In my case I would have to go
> all the way to the library to surf the internet... which means that the
> portability of the device will be somewhat limited.

Agreed that 802.11 is a hit or miss thing, depending on location. Perhaps
I'm fortunate with enough public hot spots to make it viable, but give it
time -- you should see more open hot spots in your area as well.
December 12, 2004 10:12:56 PM

>> But then again? Where how would you browse on the internet with the DS?
> The
>> only possibility is near the so-called hotspots.. And these are really
>> common or rare, depending on where you live. In my case I would have to
>> go
>> all the way to the library to surf the internet... which means that the
>> portability of the device will be somewhat limited.
>
> Agreed that 802.11 is a hit or miss thing, depending on location. Perhaps
> I'm fortunate with enough public hot spots to make it viable, but give it
> time -- you should see more open hot spots in your area as well.

Providers like Vodafone and ISP's are promoting Wi-fi more and more over
here... But with UMTS having far more coverage here, it's more likely UMTS
will be the next wireless platform of the future, rather than wi-fi, as this
costs more for the providers - being a loss-loss situation, correct me if
I'm wrong, though.
December 14, 2004 2:11:40 AM

> Providers like Vodafone and ISP's are promoting Wi-fi more and more over
> here... But with UMTS having far more coverage here, it's more likely UMTS
> will be the next wireless platform of the future, rather than wi-fi, as
this
> costs more for the providers - being a loss-loss situation, correct me if
> I'm wrong, though.

Oh, I'm not attempting to classify 802.11 as a general wireless internet
solution, rather than just a niche LAN solution...

UMTS.. Honestly, I haven't followed any of the cell technologies for a few
years now. Is UMTS's lineage based upon CDMA or GSM? From a quick google,
I just seen that UMTS is also refered to "W-CDMA", but also read a passage
saying it was a follow-up to GSM/GPRS..

Many years ago, I had worked with CDMA (SSMA) equipment in the US
military -- years before it made an appearance in the commercial world.
From various inherent limitations I saw with CDMA, I thought GSM would be a
better commercial solution. Of course, later the US would move primarily
towards CDMA while Europe went with GSM...

-Eric
December 15, 2004 10:02:48 AM

>> Providers like Vodafone and ISP's are promoting Wi-fi more and more over
>> here... But with UMTS having far more coverage here, it's more likely
>> UMTS
>> will be the next wireless platform of the future, rather than wi-fi, as
> this
>> costs more for the providers - being a loss-loss situation, correct me if
>> I'm wrong, though.
>
> Oh, I'm not attempting to classify 802.11 as a general wireless internet
> solution, rather than just a niche LAN solution...
>
> UMTS.. Honestly, I haven't followed any of the cell technologies for a
> few
> years now. Is UMTS's lineage based upon CDMA or GSM? From a quick
> google,
> I just seen that UMTS is also refered to "W-CDMA", but also read a passage
> saying it was a follow-up to GSM/GPRS..
>
> Many years ago, I had worked with CDMA (SSMA) equipment in the US
> military -- years before it made an appearance in the commercial world.
> From various inherent limitations I saw with CDMA, I thought GSM would be
> better commercial solution. Of course, later the US would move primarily
> towards CDMA while Europe went with GSM...
>
> -Eric

It's actually seen as the GPRS follow-up. Through UMTS it's possible to
stream and download files through a much higher speed than GPRS. This makes
it possible, for example, to use video telephony and watch TV on your phone.
Anyway, we'll see if wi-fi will be this successful... Things are usually
inferior to the mass, and I s'pose GSM/GPRS/UMTS will still be the most
widely used data-network in Europe.
December 15, 2004 11:15:55 PM

> > UMTS.. Honestly, I haven't followed any of the cell technologies for a
> > few
> > years now. Is UMTS's lineage based upon CDMA or GSM? From a quick
> > google,
> > I just seen that UMTS is also refered to "W-CDMA", but also read a
passage
> > saying it was a follow-up to GSM/GPRS..
> >
> > Many years ago, I had worked with CDMA (SSMA) equipment in the US
> > military -- years before it made an appearance in the commercial world.
> > From various inherent limitations I saw with CDMA, I thought GSM would
be
> > better commercial solution. Of course, later the US would move
primarily
> > towards CDMA while Europe went with GSM...
> >
> > -Eric
>
> It's actually seen as the GPRS follow-up. Through UMTS it's possible to
> stream and download files through a much higher speed than GPRS. This
makes
> it possible, for example, to use video telephony and watch TV on your
phone.
> Anyway, we'll see if wi-fi will be this successful... Things are usually
> inferior to the mass, and I s'pose GSM/GPRS/UMTS will still be the most
> widely used data-network in Europe.

Thats awesome. If I lived in Europe, I wouldn't even have a land-line
phone. I recall reading an article once that in Finland, 80+ percent of the
population solely uses cell phones...
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 4:23:01 AM

Inferno <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote:

> But then again? Where how would you browse on the internet with the DS? The
> only possibility is near the so-called hotspots.. And these are really
> common or rare, depending on where you live. In my case I would have to go
> all the way to the library to surf the internet... which means that the
> portability of the device will be somewhat limited.

If you have wireless at home, you could surf from the toilet (and isn't
that really the "killer app" the internet needs? ;)  Sure, you could do it
with a laptop, but have you actually tried putting a laptop on you lap?
On your bare lap? Ouch.

Besides, many airports are offering wifi, as are many coffee shops and
other restaurants. The number of hotspots is growing.
December 30, 2004 3:37:28 PM

"Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote

> If you have wireless at home, you could surf from the toilet (and isn't
> that really the "killer app" the internet needs? ;)  Sure, you could do it
> with a laptop, but have you actually tried putting a laptop on you lap?
> On your bare lap? Ouch.

I do just that with my PDA's. Web/email from the toilet, using my 802.11...

> Besides, many airports are offering wifi, as are many coffee shops and
> other restaurants. The number of hotspots is growing.

I'm with you. The DS needs a web browser and email client! The
architecture of the DS is begging for such applications. With software done
well, I'd even prefer to use the DS over my PDA's -- since two screens gives
much more flexibility.
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 11:39:38 PM

Can the DS hook up with online IM services like AIM or MSN? I thought it
was just a peer to peer thing. Don't remember any info on how to enter a
WEP key/pw for example.

On 12/30/04 11:37 AM, in article 10t8f6ikd2nf9b@corp.supernews.com, "Eric"
<none@nospam.not> wrote ever so eloquently:

> "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote
>
>> If you have wireless at home, you could surf from the toilet (and isn't
>> that really the "killer app" the internet needs? ;)  Sure, you could do it
>> with a laptop, but have you actually tried putting a laptop on you lap?
>> On your bare lap? Ouch.
>
> I do just that with my PDA's. Web/email from the toilet, using my 802.11...
>
>> Besides, many airports are offering wifi, as are many coffee shops and
>> other restaurants. The number of hotspots is growing.
>
> I'm with you. The DS needs a web browser and email client! The
> architecture of the DS is begging for such applications. With software done
> well, I'd even prefer to use the DS over my PDA's -- since two screens gives
> much more flexibility.

n u l l a n -at- H_o_u_s_t_o_n . R_._R . C_o_m
January 3, 2005 9:53:38 PM

"Use Email Addr at Bottom of Post" wrote in message
> Can the DS hook up with online IM services like AIM or MSN? I thought it
> was just a peer to peer thing. Don't remember any info on how to enter a
> WEP key/pw for example.

The DS's 802.11b can support both AdHoc or Infrastructure, so there
shouldn't be any technical reason why a DS shouldn't be able to do AIM, MSN,
or essentially any tcp/ip application for that matter. (Providing someone
develops the software to do such applications, of course.)

Encryption for 802.11b (WEP) can be done through software? I seem to recall
reading that the DS's 802.11b could support WEP (64 and 128 bit) encryption
anyway.
!