Sign in with
Your question

Will this cpu work for this motherboard? GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-USB3 AM3

Last response: in CPUs
September 24, 2011 10:34:00 PM

HI, I have this motherboard. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I.... The cpu is only 4x= to quad core. I want to know if I can upgrade the cpu to 6 core? The 6 core is here, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite.... so basically to summarize, I have the motherboard as bought from newegg which included a quad core. I would like to know if the 6 core from tigerdirect would work on this motherboard and do I have to buy a new power supply, I have a 450 watt at the moment.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 24, 2011 10:46:30 PM

the page the motherboard is on.... off to the right there's a link to gigabytes "product page". If you go there you'll see that the processor will work if the board has the F2 BIOS. If it doesn't you'll need to flash it. Gigabyte has auto flashing software on the disc that came with the motherboard so you'll be able to do it from windows if need be. Rather easy. Last few times I flashed was from desktop with no problems what so ever.

the processor. Is it cheaper over at newegg ?
m
l
September 25, 2011 3:03:35 AM

Hi, ty for the answer and yes I believe it is cheaper because it is missing the power supply in which I have. I am confuse about "flash it" May you explain that a bit more so I can understand what you mean by "flash it" and why I have to "flash it"
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 25, 2011 3:31:50 AM

What swifty_morgan is saying is that if the mobo BIOS you have now is F2 then the mobo will work with the 6-core Phenom II CPU without needing to update the BIOS. "Flashing the BIOS" means to update the BIOS.

Gigabyte lists all the "Supported CPUs" on their website for each model mobo and what mobo BIOS version is required. Your mobo needs F2 and may already have it.
m
l
September 25, 2011 5:50:56 PM

Oh I see, thankyou so much as I am learning so much from you guys. Oh yea I have another question, the motherboard I am going to get... have two version.. I believe one of them is 3.1 and the other 1 is 1.1 . The mother I am planning to get did not say what version, or at least I might have missed it. It wouldn't hurt right, because of different version of the same type of motherboard?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2011 5:32:02 PM

newer BIOS-? and attributes/fixes. same board.
m
l
!