Sign in with
Your question
Closed

No AHCI option in BIOS...what are my options?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 16, 2012 4:30:28 AM

I currently have a fairly old laptop that came with XP installed on it. I am looking to upgrade it with a new SSD, but first, I would like to put the SATA controller in AHCI mode. When I boot, and hit F2 to enter the setup, I can scroll through the BIOS menus, but I cannot find an option to change my SATA mode.

I've looked around online at some guides showing how to add AHCI drivers to an XP machine, but will this add the option to switch in the BIOS? It sure doesn't seem like it would.

I believe my BIOS version is the most current. Can anyone recommend some good, rational options? I'm upgrading this laptop because I cannot afford a new one. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4054.

Thanks for any help!
a c 435 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 2:46:15 PM

You can run a sata drive in old fashioned ide mode just fine. Get a sata III drive as they are just as cheap and are backwards compatable with sata I and sata II motherboards. If you don't have too many files, you can use your old drive and clone it to your new ssd using the hardrive software. I use maxblast 5.0 for seagate and maxtor drives. Only thing missing in ide mode is trim support, but you can live without it. I use ie privacy keeper 2.7 to clean up my sata drive everytime I leave explorer. With sata III, you can transfer it to your next laptop or desktop; few low and mid range laptops have sata III support; I use it on my desktop board.
Score
June 16, 2012 2:54:57 PM

I don't plan on cloning to my new drive because another part of my upgrade is installing Windows 7. I'm doing a fresh clean install, not upgrading from XP.
Score
Related resources
June 16, 2012 3:49:15 PM

I'd check the manufacturers website to see if there is abios update that would include AHCI support. Then I'd install Windows 7. Otherwise, o1die is correct. One more thing.....How much ram will that old laptop recognize? Because, Windows 7 needs a lot more ram than XP. Your super fast hdd wont be much good to you if your system is bottlenecked due to ram restrictions.
Score
June 16, 2012 4:11:22 PM

I'm upgrading 3 aspects. I'm going from an 80GB 5400 rpm HDD to an 128GB Crucial M4 SSD. I'm going from 2GB of Ram to 4GB of Ram (which is the max it can recognize), and finally, I'm going from XP to 7. All this is going to run on a 1.86 Ghz Core Solo...which I believe will become the bottleneck, but hopefully not too bad of one.
Score

Best solution

June 16, 2012 4:23:09 PM

Windows 7 works pretty well with 4gb of ram. U should see a pretty big improvement in speed with those up-grades, even with that cpu. And you'll like the extra battery time that will be available to youi since you are no longer using an hdd. Not to mentio how much quieter it will be as well. And, almost any hdd would have been an imporvement over that 5500 rpm one..... Good luck
June 16, 2012 5:04:12 PM

At this point, I'm just going to install Win 7 on this new SSD and not worry about any changes in my BIOS. Once it's installed, I might look in the BIOS and see if anything was changed to where I can change the SATA controller type. Although I hear that if you change to AHCI after the OS install, it's necessary to make a registry change as well to insure you don't get the BSOD. Here is an article that states AHCI may actually hinder SSD performance and lifespan.

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/ide-sata-and-ahci-a...
Score
June 23, 2012 3:46:18 AM

Best answer selected by Thecyclist.
Score
a b D Laptop
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 23, 2012 4:16:45 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!