Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sabertooth Z77 or Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3

Last response: in Motherboards
June 16, 2012 6:12:23 AM

Hey all,

I'm planning an I7-3770k/GTX 680 build - I already have the drives (an SSD and 3-4 HDDs for a storage RAID), case (HAF X, so size won't be a problem), cooler, etc. picked out and am working on the mobo/RAM. I plan on doing a light overclock but nothing too extreme.

I'm planning on putting a single GTX 680 in for now and I'd like to add another for SLI once the prices drop. Given that I'm curious as to what the experts would recommend as a good mobo. I'll be happy with anything under $300 and want something well built. The Sabertooth caught my eye just because of the 5 year warranty - and I've had good experiences with ASUS. The Gigabyte board - while fugly - seems to have more bandwidth for the PCI slots. Does that really matter? Is there something I've overlooked?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

For RAM I'm thinking either the G.Skill Ares or Corsair Vengeance - depending on which side of the Noctua NH-D14/Corsair H100 debate I fall on (and thus clearance). I know that getting at least 1600 mhz RAM is important, but don't know how much timings matter. Also, I figure 2x8gb sticks instead of 4x4gb because I've had issues with bad RAM in the past, and the more sticks the more chances of failure.

Finally I'm thinking of one of the Corsair AX 80 Plus Gold PSUs - given two GTX 680s, 5 or so large case fans, 4 HDDs, 1 SSD, a 3770k, a DVD burner, and a light overclock would 750W or 850W be more appropriate?

Sorry for the laundry list of questions, but my perusal of these forums has convinced me there are some ridiculously knowledgeable people on here, and why not use that resource before I do something silly. Thanks in advance for any advice on this build!

More about : sabertooth z77 gigabyte sniper

Best solution

a c 1163 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 2:30:06 PM

The only reason to get the Sniper over the Sabertooth is if you plan triple or quad GPU's. Looks like a solid build, agree on fewer ram sticks better and although a 750watt would do it I recommend 850watts for headroom.
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 2:36:53 PM

I would agree and unless the 'plan' is to have multiple monitors e.g. 3xHD (5760x1080) then you won't be needing SLI GTX 680 for quite sometime. Now if 3xHD is a possibility I would look at 4GB versions of the GTX 680's.
Score
Related resources
June 17, 2012 1:10:01 AM

Thanks for the help, folks :) 
Score
a c 87 V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 2:21:53 AM

The Gigabyte board is a much better overclocking mobo but it's overkill unless you plan triple or quad GPU's.It won't matter how good your cpu is on the sabertooth you can't hit past 4.8GHZ without really high v it's a decent motherboard but not great there are motherboards that are cheaper that are just as good if not better to be honest it's allot of hype about that mobo truth is it's more for looks but at the same time there no benefit to overclock past 4.5GHZ other than benchmarking and bragging rights lol.This motherboard down below won a six motherboard review and benching here on Toms in Z77 review. It was the most inexpensive of the motherboards reviewed other than the Biostar and it cleaned house. There's other online reviews of that motherboard where it came out with flying colors.Here is a great combo going on right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $279.98 save: $15.00
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Score
June 17, 2012 3:49:08 AM

I am a huge fan of the Sabertooth line of motherboards. Simply bulletproof with superb overclocking. Not to mention their UEFI BIOS is the best on the market right now. Simply a joy to navigate around in and use.
Score
June 17, 2012 4:28:09 AM

Best answer selected by nlamel.
Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 5:14:57 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!