Streaming my movies to anywhere?

Tags:
  • VPN
  • Movies
  • Streaming
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
September 7, 2010 6:46:03 PM

so, i'm not too sure, but i think this is the category that best fits my question.

i have an htpc, and yes, i stream all my movies to my laptop at home. but what can i do to stream the movies around the world?

i've tried orb, but the results are sub-par. looking for something a bit better. my htpc is more than capable of converting at higher bitrates, but orb is one of the most inefficient converters i know.

More about : streaming movies

September 14, 2010 4:54:40 AM

Catsrules said:
What program are you using on your HTPC?
If it is windows Media center, I would look at this
http://www.asciiexpress.com/webguide/

well, right now I'm not using anything. orb has its own interface, and usually I just have home sharing on. one nice thing about orb though, is its no brains required set up. but, if this webguide can be set up fairly easily (I'm not stupid, just lazy), then I may give it a try. what are my other options though? I figured I should at least get some recommendations and try them all out to find the one that fits my preferences the best.

preferences: one time complicated setup is fine. to static the ip etc. but after that, it should be click and play.
efficient converter. I'll be using vlc so any format works, as long as my client experience is comparable to the server experience. efficient also means good quality at lower bitrates, just in case my Internet somewhere sucks (like a 3G network). but this is an issue that doesn't need to be solved here.
if I have to install something on both the client and server, that's fine. if there's an alternate browser-only, that's fine too, as long as it works.
if you have any recommendations, I'll take them all.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

September 18, 2010 6:04:09 PM

Yeah it has been awhile since I setup WebGuide and I hardly every used it so I took it off. But from what I can remember it was really just install, setup some user accounts for the webpage, then port forward the HTPC IP to the port my webGuide was one, and it was done.
I know most if not all Media center type program have a streaming ability, I think XBMC Media Center has something like that, and it is free. Sage TV has one but it isn't free.
You can also look in to set top boxes, like Popcorn hour http://www.popcornhour.com but your need some $$$ for those

But I wouldn't bother streaming for Movies I would just buy a USB powered External drive, like for around $100 your can get 500 -750 GB That would hold alot of movies at way better Quality then your could stream. I would only use streaming for like recorded TV shows.
September 26, 2010 7:10:48 PM

hmmm i'd need to not have windows 7 to use webguide in the first place. what about linux solutions?

i suppose i could put my old copy of vista or xp, assuming webguide really is all that awesome. the only reason i don't want an external is for the sake of having *everything* accessible at all times. and simplicity (for example, if i'm at someone else's house without anything of mine)
m
l
September 28, 2010 12:11:52 AM

Sadly I am not that familiar with Linux. I know there is a linux media center os I think I it called Myth TV but I am not sure.
m
l
September 28, 2010 12:21:55 AM

hmm. I think I'm going to try xbmc because it's open source, customizable, etc. thanks for your help!
m
l
September 28, 2010 12:23:11 AM

Best answer selected by shadows1123.
m
l