megapixels or zoom lense? Which is best for wildlife,lands..

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 9, 2005 5:21:43 AM

Ok, I am looking at two cameras. They will be primarily for outdoor
shooting of landscapes, wildlife etc. This is just for personal
enjoyment.

The cameras:

Fuji e550 6 MP 4x zoom
Fuji s5100 4 MP 10x zoom

One camera has the longer zoom, one has higher megapixels. For shots of
eagles, elk etc, and landscapes, which camera will suit my purposes
better? I read a review at Stevesdigicams which states the digital zoom
on the e550 actual does not hurt image quality at all, which is
interesting. The review said you could get another 1.4x at 6 megapixel
mode, giving the camera an actual zoom of 5.4x.

So lets say you have captured an eagle with both the e550 and the
s5100. Would I in effect be able to get as good of a picture as the
s5100 by digitally zooming into the photo I took on the e550 in
Photoshop? Would the 6 megapixel clarity of the e550 allow me to zoom
in and get as nice of a shot as a 10x zoom 4 megapixel?

Thanks for any help, hints, etc.
March 9, 2005 12:30:43 PM

northfork500@netscape.net wrote:

>Ok, I am looking at two cameras. They will be primarily for outdoor
>shooting of landscapes, wildlife etc. This is just for personal
>enjoyment.
>
>The cameras:
>
>Fuji e550 6 MP 4x zoom
>Fuji s5100 4 MP 10x zoom

I hope I understand the math here and someone will point out my error
if I get this wrong. Call camera 1, 1x @ 6mp and camera 2, 2.5x at
4mp.

Just to make what I am thinking even easier, let me compare a 1x to a
2x.

On the 1x camera an object is from bottom of frame to midpoint of
frame, at 2x the same object is from bottom of frame to top of frame.
So, the number of megapixes to allow one to crop the 1x camera to
match the 2x camera would be twice height x twice width or 4 times the
megapixes of camera 1. So for a 1 megapixel 1x camera, you could crop
a 4 megapixed camera 2.

So, if I am right 4MP x 2.5 effective zoom ratio = 4 x 2.5 * 2.5 = 25
MP

I'd go with the 10x zoom assuming it makes good images.

Wes