I've just built a brand new system:

Core i7 2600k (3.4 GHz)
Asus Sabertooth P67
Asus Radeon 6950 (1GB version)
16GB DDR3
Pioneer DVD-RW+- DL
750W Antec Modular PSU
(3) Dell 21.5" U211H monitors

The system runs great but I'm only able to get 2 of the displays to work at a time. All three are hooked up via displayport cables (no adapters) and the first two display the bios splash/etc but the third is blank. If I unhook one of the two that are working and leave the third one that wasn't plugged in it works. The 6950 supports up to 6 cards, at least that's what the box and specs say, but I'm not getting anywhere. I've called Asus support and the guy said that I may need more than a 750W with what I have... but then again he tried telling me that I needed to plug the card into a PCI-E 32X slot.

If anyone can help me out on this I'd be very appreciative.

Solution

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
First 3 questions.

1: Why haven't you overclocked your cpu?
2: Why buy the 1GB version when your planning to use 3 monitors?
and
3: Does the catalyst control center report all three monitors?

snkmchnb

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011

1. I don't have the need to overclock the cpu and in general I don't like the idea of it
2. I'm not going to be gaming with it; the card is mainly for design/development purposes
3. I haven't installed the catalyst control center.

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Then honestly buying a K edition cpu is wasting your money on something your not going to use.

Well you are using multiple monitors so having more VRAM does not hurt. However I have no experience with the use of it outside gaming and general use so I can not say if it will have a noticable effect on performance when designing etc.

You should always install CCC, it provides both the abillity to adjust your card (colors and the like) and easy management of your displays.
Try installing CCC and see if it detects all 3 monitors.
Only when CCC is installed can we know for sure if there is some sort of problem.

GL

gjh

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

During boot up only two monitors will be visible. Once booted, all three should be available. Install the latest catalyst control panel. Which OS are you running? Assuming it is win 7, right click on the active screen and go to properties/screen resolution. You should see three monitors on the desktop box in the control panel. Move them around to suit, click identify, each monitor should have a number (1, 2 or 3) so you can identify them. With 4 Display ports on your card, make sure that you populate numbers 1, 2 and 3; although I wouldn't expect port 4 to be a problem. If you use the DVI, make sure its the dual link one as with the single link may not work properly with the display ports, depending on the resolution you want to achieve. There may also be an interaction with memory, depending on the OS you are using - you do need enough to run everything.

The catalyst application will allow you to fine tune everything, but as long as it is loaded, you don't need to access it to configure the monitors' basic functions.

Good luck

Solution

snkmchnb

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011

Actually, I'm running linux, which is neither here or there.. but I ended up figuring that out shortly after I posted but then I got caught up in the beauty that was the tri-mon setup. Thanks for the help, though.