Universal framerate lag

Coagulation

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
So, about 4-5months ago I was having an issue with all the games I play. SCII, WoW, etc. Pretty much any game on my system had a universal framerate drop to around 2-4frames max regardless of setting (I generally play on ultra setting and get 50-60 on all games). This last for about 2 months and I went through HELL trying to find a solution. Forum after forum, Overclocking cpu and graphics, overheating checks, every possible installation of about 3 graphics drivers, restoring my computer, etc. Pretty much anything I had the ability to tried I did.

The problem just magically fixed one day out of complete nowhere. One day, the frames (with no specific intervention from me that I know of) just fixed, no issue and went back to completely normal. However, about 2 weeks ago the exact same problem came back, and like magic, 1 day later the issue had gone again. It is now 2 weeks later and the issue has resurfaced and is, unfortunately, not magically disappearing. Any thoughts? I have a Dell Laptop operation system (inb4lollaptop) and am using the Nvidia GeFroce 260M(Notebook series) video card.

EDIT: I figure I should probably include some more basic info about my operating system.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Alienware M15x
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M540 @ 2.53GHz 2.53GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 4GB

I'd be happy to supply anyone with whatever more information they need to help diagnose the problem.