Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Warning: Dell Laptops Have Built in Keyloggers

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 21, 2005 6:44:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I was opening up my almost brand new Dell 600m laptop, to replace a
broken PCMCIA slot riser on the motherboard. As soon as I got the
keyboard off, I noticed a small cable running from the keyboard
connection underneath a piece of metal protecting the motherboard.

I figured "No Big Deal", and continued with the dissasembly. But when
I got the metal panels off, I saw a small white heatshink-wrapped
package. Being ever-curious, I sliced the heatshrink open. I found a
little circuit board inside.

Being an EE by trade, this piqued my curiosity considerably. On one
side of the board, one Atmel AT45D041A four megabit Flash memory chip.

On the other side, one Microchip Technology PIC16F876 Programmable
Interrupt Controller, along with a little Fairchild Semiconductor
CD4066BCM quad bilateral switch.

Looking further, I saw that the other end of the cable was connected
to the integrated ethernet board.

What could this mean? I called Dell tech support about it, and they
said, and I quote, "The intregrated service tag identifier is there
for assisting customers in the event of lost or misplaced personal
information." He then hung up.

A little more research, and I found that that board spliced in between
the keyboard and the ethernet chip is little more than a Keyghost
hardware keylogger.

The reasons Dell would put this in thier laptops can only be left up
to your imagination. It would be very impractical to hand-anylze the
logs, and very CPU-intensive to do so on a computer for every person
that purchased a dell laptop. Why are these keyloggers here? I
recently almost found out.

I called the police, as having a keylogger unknown to me in my laptop
is a serious offense. They told me to call the Department of Homeland
Security. At this point, I am in disbelief. Why would the DHS have a
keylogger in my laptop? It was surreal.

So I called them, and they told me to submit a Freedom of Information
Act request. This is what I got back:

See site for pics & proof:
http://c0x2.de/lol/lol.html
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2005 12:53:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Andrew" <hal@jsszm.com> wrote in message
news:qfrgb11utdsuqrshnacd573mmev533ikgd@4ax.com...
>
> I was opening up my almost brand new Dell 600m laptop, to replace a
> broken PCMCIA slot riser on the motherboard. As soon as I got the
> keyboard off, I noticed a small cable running from the keyboard
> (...)

I'm sad to say that you are an idiot repeating the same old urban myth like the
countless morons before you.
Do your research BEFORE making a fool of yourself the world over.

--
<eM eL><
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2005 10:36:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:53:19 GMT, "eM eL"
<badbatz99@hotmailCUT_THIS_OUT.com> wrote:

>"Andrew" <hal@jsszm.com> wrote in message
>news:qfrgb11utdsuqrshnacd573mmev533ikgd@4ax.com...
>>
>> I was opening up my almost brand new Dell 600m laptop, to replace a
>> broken PCMCIA slot riser on the motherboard. As soon as I got the
>> keyboard off, I noticed a small cable running from the keyboard
>> (...)
>
>I'm sad to say that you are an idiot repeating the same old urban myth like the
>countless morons before you.
>Do your research BEFORE making a fool of yourself the world over.


I get the impression this guy has already done a fair bit of research.

I would certainly be interested in the replies from pure curiosity (I
don't have a Dell, for one thing).

Since you obviously know so more about it, why don't you put us
straight. After all, that is the point of newsgfroups.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2005 10:36:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

My Name wrote:
>
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:53:19 GMT, "eM eL"
> <badbatz99@hotmailCUT_THIS_OUT.com> wrote:
>
> >"Andrew" <hal@jsszm.com> wrote in message
> >news:qfrgb11utdsuqrshnacd573mmev533ikgd@4ax.com...
> >>
> >> I was opening up my almost brand new Dell 600m laptop, to replace a
> >> broken PCMCIA slot riser on the motherboard. As soon as I got the
> >> keyboard off, I noticed a small cable running from the keyboard
> >> (...)
> >
> >I'm sad to say that you are an idiot repeating the same old urban myth like the
> >countless morons before you.
> >Do your research BEFORE making a fool of yourself the world over.
>
> I get the impression this guy has already done a fair bit of research.
>
> I would certainly be interested in the replies from pure curiosity (I
> don't have a Dell, for one thing).
>
> Since you obviously know so more about it, why don't you put us
> straight. After all, that is the point of newsgfroups.

Your impression is wrong.

The same post, WORD FOR WORD, has appeared numerous times,
and each was written in the first person.

Are you at all familiar with statistics?

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2005 11:01:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Notan wrote:
> My Name wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:53:19 GMT, "eM eL"
>><badbatz99@hotmailCUT_THIS_OUT.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>"Andrew" <hal@jsszm.com> wrote in message
>>>news:qfrgb11utdsuqrshnacd573mmev533ikgd@4ax.com...
>>>
>>>>I was opening up my almost brand new Dell 600m laptop, to replace a
>>>>broken PCMCIA slot riser on the motherboard. As soon as I got the
>>>>keyboard off, I noticed a small cable running from the keyboard
>>>>(...)
>>>
>>>I'm sad to say that you are an idiot repeating the same old urban myth like the
>>>countless morons before you.
>>>Do your research BEFORE making a fool of yourself the world over.
>>
>>I get the impression this guy has already done a fair bit of research.
>>
>>I would certainly be interested in the replies from pure curiosity (I
>>don't have a Dell, for one thing).
>>
>>Since you obviously know so more about it, why don't you put us
>>straight. After all, that is the point of newsgfroups.
>
>
> Your impression is wrong.
>
> The same post, WORD FOR WORD, has appeared numerous times,
> and each was written in the first person.
>
> Are you at all familiar with statistics?
>
> Notan
May be. The point remains, why don't you enlighten us, poor ignorant
souls, about what the issue really is about. Whoever deserves credit
here will get it this way. It looks like I am not the only one not
knowing what the bottom line is. Thanks

--
John Doue
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2005 11:01:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

John Doue wrote:
>
> Notan wrote:
> > My Name wrote:
> >
> >>On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:53:19 GMT, "eM eL"
> >><badbatz99@hotmailCUT_THIS_OUT.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >>>"Andrew" <hal@jsszm.com> wrote in message
> >>>news:qfrgb11utdsuqrshnacd573mmev533ikgd@4ax.com...
> >>>
> >>>>I was opening up my almost brand new Dell 600m laptop, to replace a
> >>>>broken PCMCIA slot riser on the motherboard. As soon as I got the
> >>>>keyboard off, I noticed a small cable running from the keyboard
> >>>>(...)
> >>>
> >>>I'm sad to say that you are an idiot repeating the same old urban myth like the
> >>>countless morons before you.
> >>>Do your research BEFORE making a fool of yourself the world over.
> >>
> >>I get the impression this guy has already done a fair bit of research.
> >>
> >>I would certainly be interested in the replies from pure curiosity (I
> >>don't have a Dell, for one thing).
> >>
> >>Since you obviously know so more about it, why don't you put us
> >>straight. After all, that is the point of newsgfroups.
> >
> >
> > Your impression is wrong.
> >
> > The same post, WORD FOR WORD, has appeared numerous times,
> > and each was written in the first person.
> >
> > Are you at all familiar with statistics?
> >
> > Notan
> May be. The point remains, why don't you enlighten us, poor ignorant
> souls, about what the issue really is about. Whoever deserves credit
> here will get it this way. It looks like I am not the only one not
> knowing what the bottom line is. Thanks

Enlighten you about what?

These people are trolling... They're all posting the same message,
in an effort to stir the pot.

Where's the mystery?

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2005 11:01:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:01:15 GMT, John Doue <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:

>May be. The point remains, why don't you enlighten us, poor ignorant
>souls, about what the issue really is about. Whoever deserves credit
>here will get it this way. It looks like I am not the only one not
>knowing what the bottom line is. Thanks

It's an old hoax:

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/dellbug.asp

This is Usenet. Expect to get flamed when a little research on your own
would have taken you to the above link.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2005 11:01:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>John Doue wrote:
>> [But I'm stupid, and need you to help me]

>Enlighten you about what?

>Where's the mystery?

The real mystery is how many times you'll respond to an obvious troll.
Any halfway intelligent person would have been following this
newsgroup, or would use Google Groups to set the way-back machine to
(say) yesterday. QED, he's jerking you around, and you're falling for
it.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2005 11:50:44 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

John Doue <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Thanks for your kind words. But to set the record straight, although I
>follow this and other NGs regularly and occasionnally try to contribute
>positively, I had no previous knowledge of the alleged issue raised by
>the OP.

So while you were following thihs newsgroup regularly, you weren't
paying attention? You somehow missed the fact that this was the third
time in as many weeks that this issue was discussed? Right...

[Urg, he did it again, I responded to the troll. Sigh, needs more
coffee! 8*]
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2005 12:11:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Just replaced a keyboard on a new Dell Inspiron 9300 (dog damaged it) and
there is no such device anywhere to be seen.


"My Name" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
news:a1v2c19avpu4bit1lkmtd31sm9280br8pu@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 20:53:19 GMT, "eM eL"
> <badbatz99@hotmailCUT_THIS_OUT.com> wrote:
>
> >"Andrew" <hal@jsszm.com> wrote in message
> >news:qfrgb11utdsuqrshnacd573mmev533ikgd@4ax.com...
> >>
> >> I was opening up my almost brand new Dell 600m laptop, to replace a
> >> broken PCMCIA slot riser on the motherboard. As soon as I got the
> >> keyboard off, I noticed a small cable running from the keyboard
> >> (...)
> >
> >I'm sad to say that you are an idiot repeating the same old urban myth
like the
> >countless morons before you.
> >Do your research BEFORE making a fool of yourself the world over.
>
>
> I get the impression this guy has already done a fair bit of research.
>
> I would certainly be interested in the replies from pure curiosity (I
> don't have a Dell, for one thing).
>
> Since you obviously know so more about it, why don't you put us
> straight. After all, that is the point of newsgfroups.
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 29, 2005 4:41:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

William P. N. Smith wrote:

> John Doue <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for your kind words. But to set the record straight, although I
>>follow this and other NGs regularly and occasionnally try to contribute
>>positively, I had no previous knowledge of the alleged issue raised by
>>the OP.
>
>
> So while you were following thihs newsgroup regularly, you weren't
> paying attention? You somehow missed the fact that this was the third
> time in as many weeks that this issue was discussed? Right...
>
> [Urg, he did it again, I responded to the troll. Sigh, needs more
> coffee! 8*]
>
Yes, I did! Sorry about that, but this should not be a big deal!

--
John Doue
!