Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

CPU possibly touching fan, causing slowdown?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Fan
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
September 25, 2011 7:49:28 AM

First time homebuild which is running, but not running very fast (passmark score B/W 1400-1600 when it should be in the 7000's. Only oddity with the build was that it was difficult to close the gate over the processor. I loosened the screws a bit and it fit. I have triple checked and don't see any broken/bent pins.
I just took the fan off and noticed that the sticker on the processor was melted onto the (stock) fan forming a silver mess. Could having the fan too close to the processor cause the slowness (and regular lock ups) or is it another issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can provide any other information please let me know.

Intel I5-2400K
ASrock Z68 Pro3
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
G.Skill Ripjaw X series 8 GB (2*4)
Antec 6200 High Current Gamer
No video card, using the Z68 inhouse the machine is not being used for gaming or heavy use

More about : cpu possibly touching fan causing slowdown

a c 108 à CPUs
September 25, 2011 1:44:20 PM

it does take a lot of pressure to lock the cpu down and may even make a frightening noise as you do it--i think if you loosened the screws that may be your problem as its meant to be that tight

the silver mess i would assume is the thermal paste

use realtemp or something similar to check the cpu temperature as it may be throttling down if its too hot
September 25, 2011 4:50:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. I took your advice and tightened the screws back up. Unfortunately it didn't make any improvement to the system. I also downloaded realtemp and did an XS bench score (1370). I've had it running for a few hours while I played multiple videos/music at the same time and the temps always bounced between the mid 30's and low 40's C.

Do you think this is a problem with one of the components or do you think reloading windows would fix/improve the issue? Thanks again for your help.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 108 à CPUs
September 25, 2011 5:09:46 PM

when you used passmark did you run the full benchmark or only the cpu part?

if you ran the full test you would score low because of using the integrated graphics

download superpi and see how fast it does the 1m test and the 32m test
September 25, 2011 8:42:05 PM

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I ran the Super PI and got:
1M: 9S
32M: 9M 54S

Quickly looking at some other scores I saw a few computers with similar specs that were running the 32M in the 6M30 range so it looks like I have room to grow. I haven't fooled around with any of the overclocking features and guess that could be part of the difference as well. Any thoughts on my results / possible fixes?
a c 108 à CPUs
September 25, 2011 9:32:48 PM

that seems good--i get 9.7 secs for 1m and 9m 56 for 32m on my i7 920 and thats overclocked at 4ghz at the moment so you are going to smash that once you overclock

have you got a decent heatsink on there or just the stock one
a c 108 à CPUs
September 25, 2011 9:52:03 PM

wont let me edit my post--just realised you said i5-2400k i didnt think they did a k version of the 2400--i thought only the 2500 and 2600 came in k versions

if its a 2400 non k version you wont be able to overclock it over about 4ghz

see here

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/03/intel-...
September 25, 2011 11:40:31 PM

Common mistake:

REMOVE the sticker on the CPU before installing the HEATSINK on it. If there is a sticker on the underside of the heatsink REMOVE that too.

So basically now you'll have to clean the whole mess up from both the CPU and the heatsink and then apply a fresh batch of thermal paste. Do a search on youtube for instructional videos on how to do that properly.
September 26, 2011 12:24:41 AM

^+1
Yeah, what the hell? WHAT STICKER? There should be no stickers anywhere on/under/near the CPU. You've got your CPU, your thermal paste and the heatsink + fan on top, THAT'S IT.
Also, which CPU are we talking about? Is it a 2500K or a 2400 ? Because the problem with 2400K is that it does not exist...
September 26, 2011 12:15:39 PM

Thanks guys,

It's a 2500K sorry. As for the 'sticker': I never applied any thermal paste or any other product to the CPU or heatsink. I don't specifically remember a sticker, but assumed their was one because of the silver mess/google image returns showing a product sticker on the face of the I5-2500K. I have cleaned it up and will get some thermal paste in the next few days, thanks for the advice.

Do you think that this will help with the (increasingly) frequent lockups or could this be some other issue (integrated graphics?).

To me the computer still seems to be running slowly. Maybe my expecations are out of line.