jasonalder12

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
So this is shaping up to be my new build. First let me say I will not be doing hardcore gaming, just mild gaming. Yes, I am aware that Intel Sandy Bridge does blow AMD out of the water and I am alright with that, I actually prefer AMD. I already have a 1000w power supply so that is why that is not on the list, as well as the HDDs, and the DVD burner. I am mostly looking for everyone's thoughts on the build if everything goes together, and any opinions you might have of the parts and something better in that family (again I am not looking for your thoughts on an Intel Build!!)

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Memory: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Thank you for looking and I look forward to the feedback!

jasonalder12

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Awesome suggestion I was going to ask if it would be worth it. I love both AM3+ boards you selected and everything looks fairly good. My biggest question is how is the on board sound? I really did not want to buy a sound card and the cross-hair boards look to have excellent sound built in.

Also, is the cross-hair 5 worth the extra cash?

jasonalder12

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Alright great thoughts. I just need to decide between the formula 4 or 5. The on-board sound is a must so these two boards win, I just need to decide if Bulldozer is even something I will be interested in down the road.

shredder777

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Hopefully AMD bring out the big guns with Bulldozer else Intel is going to make aMD their slaves. Personally I believe AMD has something great up their sleeve, only time will tell however. Good Luck in your build.