Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asus M3A78 Pro, does it play nice with dual GPU vid cards?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 16, 2012 4:38:43 PM

Hello, I have recently upgraded my video card from a radeon 4850, to a radeon 4870x2, and Im only seeing minimal improvements. It seems no games are using both cores at any meaningful frequency (sporadically the second core will see a jump off of zero load). 3Dmark vantages first two tests, and the flag test, have brutal artifacts and distortions in them with no increase in FPS, however the other graphical tests like pixel and shader fillrate are phenomenal compared to the 4850.

The 4870x2 is brand new OEM.

I should have not assumed my mobo could handle a dual GPU card, but I did, and now Im wondering if I was incorrect to assume that. The Asus M3A78 pro says it supports "hybrid crossfireX", and only has one PCIE 16x slot. Now Im reading that dual GPU cards essentially are a crossfire, just on the same board, and Im not sure this board can handle it now. Emailed Asus but they have yet to respond.

So am I doomed to upgrade my mobo now, and CPU and RAM along with it? I was trying to avoid all that, really, as money is tight and I just wanted a stronger vid card.

Best solution

a c 274 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1026 V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 1:58:31 AM

Your board should not be the issue. Did you do a clean install of your GPU drivers when replacing the card?
June 17, 2012 4:11:41 AM

No. I will do that tomorrow, though.

Was actually planing on it, but it seemed that windows didnt need it when I first booted up... so I forgot all about it.
Related resources
a c 274 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1026 V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 1:15:07 PM

dimes and nickles said:
No. I will do that tomorrow, though.

Was actually planing on it, but it seemed that windows didnt need it when I first booted up... so I forgot all about it.

That could be your reason, so make sure you fully remove the current drivers and then install.
June 17, 2012 6:22:56 PM

Ok, I did a fresh install of the video drivers after cleaning them out. Games do the same thing; wont use second core, even if they have a crossfire profile associated with them (NS2).

Oh and 3dmark yesterday after I posted this randomly stopped producing the artifacts. And 3dmark is the only thing thats using both cores continuously.

Everything else just gives sporadic blips on the load monitor.
June 27, 2012 12:35:02 AM

Best answer selected by dimes and nickles.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 27, 2012 5:01:22 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!