Heat spreaders and a tight build

lemming3k

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Hi,

I've been putting together a PC today, and whilst I have most components ready to go I have yet to purchase any ram (I was planning on using my current ram as a test, but it turns out to be ddr2):

The thing is I have installed a artic freezer pro 7 instead of the standard i53750k cooler and this now overhangs the ram a bit. I was looking at vengeance ram with heatspreaders but I don't think this will fit now, certainly not in slot 4 and it may be very tight in 3 if at all possible.
I wonder if anyone has experience with a similar build and if they got the ram to fit? Did you just buy ram without heatspreaders instead?
I'm sure they don't actually do that much, but it seems harder to find good ram without them for a good price. I'm also not sure if smaller spreaders might fit such as g-skill ripjaws? Any experience would be great!
Thanks.

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
It's actually harder to buy good RAM with heat spreaders than without, and I suspect they're much more for marketing purposes and hiding the poor quality of the components than for cooling. Try Samsung memory, which is always good but rarely has heat spreaders.