• Asus
  • RAM
  • CPUs
  • Computer
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
June 16, 2012 7:21:45 PM

Hello,
I built my computer around 4-5 months ago and was adding more RAM then when I started it up the CPU LED was staying lit. So we tried changing out the different sticks of RAM and it still wouldn't go past. We then tried the MemOK button but to no avail. So we took out the CPU and looked at it to make sure nothing was bent and when we put it back in the computer now just turns on for half a second then shuts back down. Fans and lights come on (Including the CPU fan).

Specs:
ASUS P8P67 Motherboard
Intel i5 2500k Quad Core with 3.3 GHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM (Before) 16 GB (Total)
Corsair TX 750w PSU
AMD HD Radeon 6950

More about : computer starts half shuts

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 7:25:14 PM

Are you sure the 2 sets of RAM are both the same?

Are you sure everything is plugged in right?

Are you sure they are pushed in hard?

If all those answers are yes, try taking the battery out for 30 min and then putting it back in. The cord will need to be unplugged from the wall during that.
m
l
June 16, 2012 7:29:44 PM

I took all the RAM out so I only have one stick in the B2 port, it was one of the original 2. Should it be in A2?

I will push it in harder... EDIT: Still starts up for probably 0.25 seconds then goes back off.

What battery? The PSU?

EDIT: Forgot to mention there are no beeps at startup, i have tried plugging in speakers.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2012 7:53:30 PM

The beeps would have to come from a particular speaker slot on the motherboard, it wouldn't be directed out the round green port on the back.

Try a couple ones in that slot and one of them in all the slots.

The battery is a CR 2032 watch batter, looks like a quarter, should be near to the very center of the board.
m
l
June 16, 2012 8:56:43 PM

I had the exact same problem twice, once it was the PSU (one of the fan connectors was shorted which caused the PSU to shut down at once for safety reasons, which btw are many). Make sure all the connections, HDD, SDD, fans...etc are wired properly. what's your PSU?
2nd time was a bent pin on the MB.

Hope that helped.
m
l
June 16, 2012 10:56:42 PM

I'm using Corsair TX 750 Watt PSU
m
l
August 4, 2012 6:15:45 PM

I have replaced the motherboard but now the CPU light is just staying on again.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 7, 2012 12:21:58 AM

Try a different PSU.
m
l
!