Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE Temperature

Last response: in CPUs
September 25, 2011 12:27:00 PM

Hello Guys,

I just built myself a new system with the following specs.

AMD Phenom II x4 955BE
Gigabyte GM USB3 Mobo
Radeom 6770
CoolerMaster 600W SMPS
CoolerMaster elite 430 cabinet,

The idle temp of my system is around 50'C. I have the stock fan installed without thermal paste. The fan noise is really loud when playing crysis2 temp goes upto 70'C. What should i do? Should i go for a after market cooler?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
AB
a c 789 à CPUs
a c 302 À AMD
September 25, 2011 12:54:18 PM

What do you mean no thermal paste? You will have to have paste to make proper contact and cooling.
September 25, 2011 12:58:37 PM

The guy who assembled my PC did not apply .. he told it was not needed.. i am failrly new to all this.. so i understand even for stock fan and heatsink thermal paste is needed? and what if i apply that now and later want to go for a cooler? can i remove the paste?
Related resources
a c 789 à CPUs
a c 302 À AMD
September 25, 2011 1:09:39 PM

Yes you can remove the paste but I am guessing he used the std pad that came with the heatsink. Aftermarket cooler will help bring down your temp and will be more quiet.
September 25, 2011 1:12:28 PM

i applied the paste myself for my 955 and used an artic cooler 64. oc to 3.7 and my idle temps are 35......load on crysis 2 is 47 max. that was the other day when i was cooking with the door open, 85F outside.
September 25, 2011 2:47:28 PM

Its difficult to get that here in India. Should see if any of my colleagues are coming from US. How about Cooler Master Hyper TX3 ? is that any good? what temp i might expect after getting one of those.
a c 96 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 25, 2011 4:06:55 PM

Giga-byte motherboards are bad to over-volt AMD processors when settings in the BIOS are left on *Auto* -- higher volts drive higher temps.

Your PhII 955BE should have no issues running stock speed at 1.325v, or less, with the stock HSF. The TX3 will work fine; even better in a 'push-pull' with a second 92mm fan (CM includes extra mounting brackets in the retail package) if you wish to over-clock 400MHz or more above stock.
September 25, 2011 6:39:36 PM

TX3 with a second fan right? am not planning to overclock the cpu now. but still i will get the 2nd 92mm fan. With the 2nd fan , i can overclock to 3.6 ghz right then?

I 'll go ahead with the TX3?
a b à CPUs
September 25, 2011 6:45:36 PM

i doubt you will see any improvement with a second fan with such a small heat sink. using thermal paste (comes with the TX3) and the TX3 will help cool down your CPU.

maximumpc tested the cooler master hyper 212+ with dual fans and saw no temp improvement as have many other sites and having owned that HSF I can say their results where accurate. the 212+ is larger then the TX3.
a b à CPUs
September 25, 2011 7:26:01 PM

Wisecracker said:
Giga-byte motherboards are bad to over-volt AMD processors when settings in the BIOS are left on *Auto* -- higher volts drive higher temps.

Your PhII 955BE should have no issues running stock speed at 1.325v, or less, with the stock HSF. The TX3 will work fine; even better in a 'push-pull' with a second 92mm fan (CM includes extra mounting brackets in the retail package) if you wish to over-clock 400MHz or more above stock.

The above highlighted statement is untrue as long as the mobo has the proper BIOS for the installed CPU. The mobo BIOS reads the CPU internal I.D. voltage setting and sets it to what the CPU is programmed for. While running below what the CPU is programmed for may be possible, problems can result from under-voltage at full CPU speed/load.

Full load temps under full load (with TIM installed), should be kept below 55C in most cases for best stability. If you need a better cooler, which is unlikely unless your room ambient temps are high and you plan to OC, the link below shows you how the various HSFs perform.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#AMDHEATSINK
September 26, 2011 7:05:15 AM

One of my frens is giving his old OCZ Vendetta 2. SHould i take that or go for Cooler Master Hyper tx3. My ambient temp are around 26-30.
Or Should i go for Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus?
a c 96 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 26, 2011 12:32:41 PM

beenthere said:
The above highlighted statement is untrue as long as the mobo has the proper BIOS for the installed CPU. The mobo BIOS reads the CPU internal I.D. voltage setting and sets it to what the CPU is programmed for. While running below what the CPU is programmed for may be possible, problems can result from under-voltage at full CPU speed/load.

Full load temps under full load (with TIM installed), should be kept below 55C in most cases for best stability. If you need a better cooler, which is unlikely unless your room ambient temps are high and you plan to OC, the link below shows you how the various HSFs perform.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#AMDHEATSINK

Giga-byte motherboards are bad to over-volt AMD processors when settings in the BIOS are left on *Auto* -- higher volts drive higher temps

Period.

September 26, 2011 5:12:16 PM

Can someone help me decide between Arctic Cooling FREEZER 7 Pro, OCZ Vendetta 2, CM Hyper 212+, CM Tx3, XIGMATEK Gaia?
September 27, 2011 2:03:00 PM

Under load (prime95) its 1.296 volts. i have under volted the proc to 1.3 volts. And the temp goes above 75' C , tahts before i stop the test!
a c 96 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 27, 2011 6:32:45 PM

How much paste did you use when installing the cooler?

September 27, 2011 6:41:09 PM

very less i think.. i have the stock cooler now.. should i re apply paste and the stock cooler? or wait few days b4 i get a new after market cooler
a c 96 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 27, 2011 6:59:29 PM

If your voltage is correct, and the stock HSF assembly is properly fitted, you should not be seeing the high temps you are seeing. You should certainly try to reset your HSF and apply a proper amount of thermal paste.

Even with high ambient temps you should not see idle at 50c and load at +70c.

If you adjusted your voltage downward and the temps did not change, you most certainly have as issue with the fitting of the HSF.

September 27, 2011 7:08:33 PM

ya ll re fit the HSF with adequate amount of thermal paste. But can i remove that when i get the new cooler? or i should re apply on that itself? and i am planning to get cooler master hyper 212+. that is good enough right? with arctic silver 5?
a c 96 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 27, 2011 9:26:38 PM

If you are running stock speed, you do not need a new cooler. You need to properly mount the stock cooler.

When properly mounted, the stock cooler should easily handle a 3-400MHz over-clock, while within spec temps and voltage.
October 4, 2011 3:39:32 PM

thanks for the reply.Mounted it properly with cooler master thermal paste. Idles now at 39'C.

One more thing, my motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 has only one slot for a 120mm fan (already connected to the front Cooler master elite 430) , if i were to install more 120mm fans where should i connect it to?
a c 789 à CPUs
a c 302 À AMD
October 4, 2011 4:10:59 PM

You can connect them directly to you PSU with molex adapters!
!