Klown

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I recent purchased an XFX Radeon HD 6770 to replace my HD 4650, also an xfx card. The old 4650 card worked fine, but I was looking for a bit of a performance boost. Anyway, after installing the card and booting into windows all I get for drivers is the Standard VGA adapter. I have tried removing the old drivers and reinstalling, but no luck as yet. I also did a few updates to my gigabyte MB (bios and updated the northbridge chipset) but that didn't fix anything either.

System specs:
Mobo: GA-890GPA-UD3H
4 GBs RAM
Antec 750W PSU
PhenomII x2 555

Not sure what to do at this point, I returned the card to Best Buy this morning and they let me get a new 6770. Still having the same problem though, and I can't get the darn drivers installed. After CCC finishes the install I get a message the current display adapter is not compatible and I need to install the right drivers or enable my ati card. Except, my new card doesn't show up anywhere. If I check the details on the Standard VGA driver, I see the chip type listed as ATI ATOMBIOS..bios info 1.0 DAC type 8 bit and only 16 MB of available graphics memory.

o_O any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Klown

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Oh, and I did go in and reset the init display to peg in the bios. I read something about setting surround view to enabled, but I couldn't find that value anywhere in the bios.

Timop

Distinguished

Klown

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
The card is plugged in, using the 8 ping PCI-E connector.

This is an XFX card, came in a new retail box. I'm using the driver package from ATI/AMD site that comes up when I go through the selection for the 6xxx HD Series. The install file is listed as 11-3_vista64_64dd for the driver and 11-3_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc.ocl for the full suite.

I didn't mention it in my original post but I'm using Win 7 64.

Klown

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Yeah, that's the fun part with XFX, they don't come with drivers on the cd. There is an installer that points you to the ATI/AMD site and pulls the drivers from there. Kind of annoyed at the moment to be honest. The "quick install guide" even looks generic, the pictures and guide suggest that there should be two 6 pin connectors on the card. Yet I can only find the one 8 pin connector. >.< I don't think I will purchase another xfx card anytime soon. Anyway, thanks for all your help. I'll post again when I get the 6850 and have it up and running.

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Having the exact same issue right now with my step-dad's PC. I knew the 6770 was just a rebrand of the 5770, but I figured having the higher number would give it a bit more resale value in a few years, when people have forgotten that fact.

So basically XFX and Best Buy are douchebags. Returning it to the store for a 5770, and if possible a partial refund for the hassle.

grimboy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Same prob. as everyone else and when I called bestbuy they where dicks about it so now I got to drive 50 miles back to bestbuy I will never shop there again they losein me as a customer newegg is better and cheaper. It is not on the BestBuy website. It is only on their shelf.

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I've got a thread going over at overclock.net about it.

One of two things as happened:
A.) AMD is going to release the HD6770 as a retail product, despite their promises that they would not, and XFX and Best Buy just jumped the gun and released it early (must have been >month early, since the next driver version still does not support the 6770)

Or B.) XFX/Best Buy are selling these cards without drivers, without AMD's authorization, in which case they're in a major, major breach of contract.

Kari

Splendid

true, but amd hasn't released it yet for public so it's not even mentioned in the driver files, thats the reason the ccc gives op problems about compatibility

According to this chart, the HD6770 is not even close the a HD5770 "Re-brand".

The HD6770 has much better specifications. Look at the bandwidth differences. Gpu is BARTS not JUNIPER.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/27/amd-radeon-hd-6770-and-6750-spec-sheets-emerge-give-nvidia-caus/

Obviously XFX/Best Buy decided to sell this before there were even drivers released for it.

Timop

Distinguished

That was before AMD changed naming methods, doesn't that supposed "6770" look suspiciously like a 6870?

phaedrus2129

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Some pictures for y'all:

6770_1_by_phaedrus2401-d3e5pb8.jpg

6770_2_by_phaedrus2401-d3e5pbx.jpg

6770_3_by_phaedrus2401-d3e5pcs.jpg

6770_4_by_phaedrus2401-d3e5pdd.jpg

6770_5_by_phaedrus2401-d3e5pe2.jpg

grimboy

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Returned my xfx 6770 card to Best Buy today, and they told me that they have AMD staff that work in their corporate offices that told them to release this product. What a joke! I doubt that. could not install drivers then best buy told me it's my fault had to drive 50 miles to get to best buy now I have to drive 50 miles back to return it and when I told best buy about this and asked them if I could get a discount on another card they said no they don't do that and the 25$ to 30$ I spent on gas not including all day screwing around with this card was my problem best buy is a joke and they just lost me as a costumer Newegg is better and cheaper anyway. I truly hate best buy over this crap
eee.jpg

that leak is quite old. i think at first AMD wants to name 6870/6850 as 6770/6750 but suddenly they decide to change the name scheme. when AMD finally release the card many those who didn't follow the story closely think that 6870 is faster than 5870. btw did AMD really want to officially launch this 5770 rebrand?

TRENDING THREADS