GBA sound can be pretty great!

Hi,

I've only had my GBA-SP for a few months, and I love it. What a cool little
platform!

To anybody who hasn't tried this, I highly recommend buying headphone
adaptor that plugs into the power jack. It's good for more than headphones!

Specifically, I have a car stereo cassette adaptor that I normally use to
listen to my iPod in the car, and on a whim, I plugged the GBA into the car
stereo last week and played Astro Boy. Wow!

Now, Astro Boy has a pretty good music soundtrack, with lots of good music
and very discrete stereo separation. What you don't get, even with
earphones, though (unless they're really good ones) is the depth of the bass
that those tiny GBA sound chips are capable of pumping out, or the realistic
snap of the explosions. Really, having good sound brings a whole new level
of immersion to the game.

Also, my cheapo stereo at work has this SRS "fake surround" function, and I
plugged the GBA into that with SRS turned on. It's great! When Astro Boy
uses his "arm cannon" weapon, this initial "whoosh" effect fills the room.

So if you haven't tried plugging your GBA into a decent set of external
speakers, it's worth a try.

Steve

Steven Folberg <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote in

> So if you haven't tried plugging your GBA into a decent set of external
> speakers, it's worth a try.

That would be too weird.

GREAT BIG SOUND!!

teeny little screen.

When I'm playing my GBA I like to keep it as quiet as possible. I
actually find it's one of the strengths of the system as I can play in
near silence and still get on fine. Then people don't have to be alerted
and start pointing at the stupid man who won't grow up.

:)

--
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him
absolutely no good.

Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Steven Folberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've only had my GBA-SP for a few months, and I love it. What a cool
> little platform!
>
> To anybody who hasn't tried this, I highly recommend buying headphone
> adaptor that plugs into the power jack. It's good for more than
> headphones!
>
> Specifically, I have a car stereo cassette adaptor that I normally use to
> listen to my iPod in the car, and on a whim, I plugged the GBA into the
> car stereo last week and played Astro Boy. Wow!
>
> Now, Astro Boy has a pretty good music soundtrack, with lots of good music
> and very discrete stereo separation. What you don't get, even with
> earphones, though (unless they're really good ones) is the depth of the
> bass that those tiny GBA sound chips are capable of pumping out, or the
> realistic snap of the explosions. Really, having good sound brings a whole
> new level of immersion to the game.
>
> Also, my cheapo stereo at work has this SRS "fake surround" function, and
> I plugged the GBA into that with SRS turned on. It's great! When Astro Boy
> uses his "arm cannon" weapon, this initial "whoosh" effect fills the room.
>
> So if you haven't tried plugging your GBA into a decent set of external
> speakers, it's worth a try.
>
> Steve

Tried astro-boy on a DS and i was amazingly impressed by both the picture
and sound improvements. Haven't tried plugging it in through big speakers
tho... guess I'll have 2 :)

--
From Mr. Bogus (aka Paul) - hiding place reality.

In article <cpot89$hkb$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>,
MrCoggy <rkcoggynospamforme@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Steven Folberg <rebbi@notonyourlifespambreath.texas.net> wrote in
>
> > So if you haven't tried plugging your GBA into a decent set of external
> > speakers, it's worth a try.
>
> That would be too weird.
>

> GREAT BIG SOUND!!
>

> teeny little screen.

I know, I know. But you'd be surprised how cool it is. Suddenly the
little screen experience becomes much more immersive.

> When I'm playing my GBA I like to keep it as quiet as possible. I
> actually find it's one of the strengths of the system as I can play in
> near silence and still get on fine. Then people don't have to be alerted
> and start pointing at the stupid man who won't grow up.

LOL!

> :)

Steve

In article <cq144m$hku$1@titan.btinternet.com>,
"Mr. Bogus" <paulrahme@backwards.moc.oohay> wrote:

> Tried astro-boy on a DS and i was amazingly impressed by both the picture
> and sound improvements. Haven't tried plugging it in through big speakers
> tho... guess I'll have 2 :)

Is there a DS-specific version of Astro Boy, or is this just the GBA
version played on a DS?

Steve