Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia 7800 GTX problem :(

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 16, 2011 8:41:40 PM

I've had this awesome graphics card for five years, and it's handled anything I've thrown at it so far. Recently I had overclocked it using nTune. It worked
fine overclocked for 3 days. It ran relatively cool at 70C. Now when I run a 3D game, or anything that uses the graphics card, it works for 2 minutes, and I get
a black screen/ No signal. Usually I have to reboot my computer to get it to work again. Sometimes, I get a "The Video Adapter has stopped working and recovered" error.

I don't afford a new card right now. I'm going to get an ATI 5770 in 4 months. It's going to be a long wait if I can't play anything meanwhile :( 
Any help please?

More about : nvidia 7800 gtx problem

April 16, 2011 8:43:06 PM

70c is quite high..Almost too high.. Is this temp at idle or at load?
April 16, 2011 8:48:48 PM

Idle is 50C. Before I cleaned it, was at 80C under load, but afterwards it was around 65-70 under load.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 16, 2011 8:58:53 PM

Have you tried it without the OC? If you did and its still like this you probably killed it and/or its dying already.

Video cards, especially hot running high-end GPUs like the 7900GTX do have a higher-than-normal failure rate. In this case, enjoy a game-less 4 months :( .
April 16, 2011 9:12:50 PM

Timop said:
Have you tried it without the OC? If you did and its still like this you probably killed it and/or its dying already.

Video cards, especially hot running high-end GPUs like the 7900GTX do have a higher-than-normal failure rate. In this case, enjoy a game-less 4 months :( .

That's the first thing I tried :/ 
The funny thing is, it works fine unless I try anything but play a game. I didn't touch any drivers before and after the problem so it's probably the card :sweat: 

I'll try installing windows xp as a last act of desperation and see if there are any drivers that work. Is there anything I can try that might have a chance of making it work? Like flashing a new BIOS rom to the card? Could it be the PSU? I've got a 440W PSU.

There's another strange thing. I tried using the card without the power cable plugged in. I get a warning from the Nvidia control panel saying the card doesn't have
enough power, but strangely enough, games work, but at a much slower speed. Could I kill it off completely if I keep using the card without the power cable?
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 16, 2011 9:18:42 PM

Davste said:
That's the first thing I tried :/ 
The funny thing is, it works fine unless I try anything but play a game. I didn't touch any drivers before and after the problem so it's probably the card :sweat: 

I'll try installing windows xp as a last act of desperation and see if there are any drivers that work. Is there anything I can try that might have a chance of making it work? Like flashing a new BIOS rom to the card? Could it be the PSU? I've got a 440W PSU.

There's another strange thing. I tried using the card without the power cable plugged in. I get a warning from the Nvidia control panel saying the card doesn't have
enough power, but strangely enough, games work, but at a much slower speed. Could I kill it off completely if I keep using the card without the power cable?

Does the screen pixelate and have funny colors pop up or is it a sudden cut-off? Also, Is it just your monitor that shuts off (eg. the games music still plays) or your whole system just stop?

Now you said that it works w/o the power cable then possibly your PSU failing, what brand is it?

You could run the card w/o the power cord and not damage it, as it should just downclock (putting less stress on your PSU). But if your PSU is faulty, I would replace it immediately, it could fail catastrophically and burn out your whole system.
April 16, 2011 9:22:37 PM

I have another 500W spare PSU, I will try it as soon as I can. I really liked this PSU, it's a fanless Yessico 420 ATX (Not 440 sorry :p )
And I don't get any funny colors or pixels, it's just working then boom black screen.
April 16, 2011 9:24:08 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention that it's also the whole system that stops, the music doesn't keep playing and when I press caps lock the button doesn't light up. It's definitely not the monitor. I've even tried another one.
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 16, 2011 9:33:50 PM

70c isn't to much better either, the G70 and G71 tend to degrade overtime at those temps on up. I suggest that you check the 12v rail and if it is below 11.5v then you do need to replace the psu or if there are large changes over a short time during use. You can easily get a cheap replacement that will outperform this card any way.
a c 174 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 16, 2011 11:14:01 PM

+1 to nforce max, its time for an upgrade. Many of the 7600's and 7800's have failed now. there longevity is not good. the only other thing you can do is re-seat with new thermal paste and make sure the heatsink is clean. if that doesnt work its time for a new card. a $50 gt240 will be faster than what you have.
April 17, 2011 9:31:53 AM

I tried another PSU. Didn't work - same problem. I'll just use the graphics card without the power cord for now. Until I get a new one. At least most games up to 2009, 2010 are playable. Even dragon age 2 is playable :p 
April 17, 2011 9:37:02 AM

By the way, I live in Malta. The cheapest price I could find for a "$50" gt240 is 84 euros, equivalent to $115. It's not worth it when I can get a 5770 for around 140 euros.
One more thing, is it safe to get graphics cards from Amazon or eBay? I could get it at a much cheaper price then, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. The shipping might kill it.
a c 120 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 17, 2011 9:48:24 AM

Gotta love the "it ain't broke but had to fix" it posts. Bad overclock. Use enhancer to under clock the card. I'd also pull the heat sink and reapply new thermal paste. Card's probably shot anyways.
April 17, 2011 12:18:31 PM

swifty_morgan said:
Gotta love the "it ain't broke but had to fix" it posts. Bad overclock. Use enhancer to under clock the card. I'd also pull the heat sink and reapply new thermal paste. Card's probably shot anyways.

I tried underclocking. Then it works, but I get too many artefacts. I don't think I'm going to risk removing the heat sink. It's really living on a miracle and I want it to last me just a bit longer. I also don't know what you mean by "it ain't broke but had to fix". At stock speeds, and connected to the power supply, it only works for some seconds under load. So it probably is broken. Either that or it's overheating and giving false temperatures.
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 17, 2011 1:34:53 PM

Bricked card, they don't hold up as well as modern cards at those temps. I have owned a lot of Geforce 7 era cards and had two 7600gs that I ran in sli, they would throw artifacts in the 70c range at stock despite being rock solid with a 600mhz core clock at lower temps. The three 7900gs ko were no better and were picky cards. I am a collector so I have owned a lot more cards than your usual gamer. Look around on the second hand market you Will find a cheap replacement or upgrade card.
!