Sign in with
Your question

Z77 and case connections

Last response: in Motherboards
June 16, 2012 8:56:27 PM

Hi,

I'm currently building a PC and a bit confused about where some connections go on the Z77 - looks like one big block that you split up with single or 2 pin connectors - things like LEDs, power button etc. Is that correct? I don't seem to have any actual single or double slots on the MB so I can only guess that's how it works!
I think the 3pin case fans are fine to just go in the 4pin fan slots - could use the PSU but I guess that wouldn't make a difference anyway?

Thanks

More about : z77 case connections

June 16, 2012 9:26:14 PM

I'm not sure what you're referring to in the first paragraph but plugging a 3-pin fan into a 4-pin connector will allow the motherboard to adjust the speed while the molex connector will run the fan at full speed all the time.
June 16, 2012 10:54:25 PM

Thanks. Is there any advantage to controlling the speed? (can that be done with only 3 out of 4 pins?).

For the first paragraph I mean there are things to plug into the motherboard from the case - for example the cable from the power on button, the reset button etc and I can't find the spot on the motherboard for them at all? They are all single or dual pin but there's no spots like that on the board.
I wondered if it might be that the motherboard has a single large block that you plug all of them into? I thought I found it but none of the abbreviations matched.
June 17, 2012 2:24:10 AM

Your motherboard manual should tell you where that specific header for front panel connections are. Controlling fan speed helps in controlling noise.
!