Your question

A Survey On Nvidia and ATI Graphics Cards

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Nvidia
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Which graphics chipset brand do you prefer?

Total: 40 votes (6 blank votes)

• ATI
  • 30 %
  • Nvidia
  • 21 %
  • I would use either one.
  • 50 %
April 16, 2011 9:36:23 PM

I'm sure you've seen your fair share of "Nvidia versus ATI" threads, and this isn't meant to be just another one of those. I am working on an English final assignment that I decided was going to be an analytical report comparing Nvidia and ATI. I figure one of the best ways to gather data on this is by going to the gaming and PC communities that care about this topic.

Along with the poll I put together a few brief questions below. I am posting this to several gaming and PC community sites. Your participation by answering these questions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to take up too much of your time, so simple answers (ex. yes or no) is all that I need. But if you wish to expand and discuss your opinion more, you're certainly welcomed to. Please keep it civil.

Thank you for your time.

1. What is more important to you, price or performance?

2. Is buying the latest graphics technology important to you?

3. Do you consider tests and reviews from computer news publications or websites (ex. PCWorld Magazine or Tom's Hardware) when choosing a new graphics card?

More about : survey nvidia ati graphics cards

April 16, 2011 10:02:47 PM

Cybercoco said:

3. Do you consider tests and reviews from computer news publications or websites (ex. PCWorld Magazine or Tom's Hardware) when choosing a new graphics card?

Answer 1. I think that your first question is phrased wrong and is a given. For 99% of people what is most important is price for performance. So if you have a strict 200 budget you are going to look at benchmarks to see which cards in your price range perform best. From what I have seen lately is that AMD seems to have a better ratio but nvidia cards, although more expensive, are generally better (from what i have seen and this is only my opinion). That is why i went with a 6950 1gb. It trades blows with 560 ti's for a slightly better price. Also the 1gb models generally perform slightly faster than 2gb models. But, with the 2gb models you can flash them into 6970's which saves you an additional 100 dollars for a better card.

Answer 2. Yes and no, as long as I can play all my games at highest quality in 1080p, I will not upgrade. This is my first upgrade since 2005 lol.

Answer 3. Absolutely, especially Tom's. I find that (for the most part) the analytical charts and benchmarks are well described and very helpful. Although, you have to be weary sometimes you'll find benchmarks that say "Custom Settings" in which case you don't really know if the info you are getting is what you are looking for and may mislead you into think your card is better or worse than it truly is.
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 16, 2011 11:19:47 PM

1 - price for performance. but also power cosumption is crucial if you dont want to upgrade psu also. this is where amd has the edge as their cards generally perform better for the power they consume
2 - buying the best i can afford at the time, but generally never the latest as the premium cost does not give you a good price/performance ratio. you can spend double the amount for only 30% better performance.
3 - you would have to be silly not to look at reviews. I normally look at at least 4 different reviews before i make my decision on a card as they can produce different results.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 4:02:12 AM

1.price
2.no coz mostly all games are console ported with exceptions like metro 2033,crysis,warhead
3.yes.I mostly avoid anandtech though coz the reviews there always seem to underestimate nvidia cards which I am a fan of :D 
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 17, 2011 4:06:42 AM

celpas said:
1.price
2.no coz mostly all games are console ported with exceptions like metro 2033,crysis,warhead
3.yes.I mostly avoid anandtech though coz the reviews there always seem to underestimate nvidia cards which I am a fan of :D 

Somethings wrong here.
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 9:05:58 AM

@ celpas, anandtech does fair reviews, probably guru3D uses games that prefer nVidia...
1. As much of performance for as low as possible *don't mind 5% worse or higher price*
2. no
3. Partually
a c 177 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 17, 2011 10:23:06 AM

Question 1 is horrible. Its not the price that matters to me, but the performance. But because I don't have unlimited funds, I have to stay at a price I can afford. This means they are both important to me. I guess I would answer yes. They are both important.

2) No, as long as I can stay semi current I'm happy.

3) Yes, because they provide me the details I need to determine price/performance.
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 10:31:22 AM

Id have to say performance but at the right price. I know I can get 2 gtx 590 but Im not gonna blow that kind of money for the extra fps. The other reason I voted nvidia is for physx. I know everyone is going to moan and groan about that but until something better comes out (bullet or havok cloth maybe) physx is the only real world style physics engine out there... oh and its free to devs.

yes and no. Yes Id like to be able to run things that are major improvements to graphics (like dx11's tessellation or dx9's godrays and HDR lighting) but If they kill performance too much then whats the use? wait till the next gen card comes out that can do those new techniques at decent framerates (tying back in with Q #1)... but at the same time Im not gaming a ton since I work 2 jobs now (saving for a house) and working 7 days a week between 11 and 21hrs a day doesnt leave a lot of room for gaming... or sleep. So Im still running an old gts250 in my game rig right now. Will upgrade in Jan once I get moved into my place though.

yes and the prices on newegg LOL
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 10:38:55 AM

Timop said:
Somethings wrong here.

Oh yeah?go to the anandtech compare tools page and compare the gtx 260 and the gtx 460.It states that the 460 is 10-11fps more powerful than the 260 i.e. the 260 gets 22fps and the 460 gets 34 fps and it states the 5850 getting 35fps.I take back the statement that it undersetimates only nvidia cards but the benches are not right.For one the 460 aint that much powerful than the 260 prolly like 6-7 fps in stock clocks.secondly only a superclocked 460 can approach the 5850 in performance.I have observed that in their benchmarks they give horribly low results for cards like the 260,275 etc.
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 10:54:01 AM

^"compare tools" is probably the same everywhere, also the drivers for GTX 260 are worse than for 460 and 460 is more powerful, 192 SPUs *260* vs 336 SPUs *460*
also depends on what 460 you choose 768MB or 1GB...

if you compare 460 to 5850 then for you to know the 5850 is much more powerful than 460, at stock 460 is more comparable to 5830
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 11:27:46 AM

shrkbay said:
^"compare tools" is probably the same everywhere, also the drivers for GTX 260 are worse than for 460 and 460 is more powerful, 192 SPUs *260* vs 336 SPUs *460*
also depends on what 460 you choose 768MB or 1GB...

if you compare 460 to 5850 then for you to know the 5850 is much more powerful than 460, at stock 460 is more comparable to 5830

I don't deny the 460 to be more powerful than the 260 but the difference is not as major as that tool makes out to be.Nvidia themselves ran benchmarks on certain games
http://www.geforce.com/#/Optimize

check out the fps between the 460 and the 260 in those game.the difference is not more than 7-8fps.
a c 126 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 17, 2011 11:41:57 AM

Cybercoco said:

Both are important to me as they are to most people I would imagine, although I do like to have high end performance and am willing to splash out for it, so my answer I guess would be performance.

Yes, I like to keep current with the latest tech.

I'd never read anything from PCWorld... but I do read reviews (from custom PC magazines and online review sites) before purchasing a product to help me make a more informed decision, also I like to keep in the loop with the latest tech.

a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 12:11:42 PM

@celpas, they may have used different system and difference between 336 and 192 SPUs is big, percentually the same as 560 and 580...
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 1:36:47 PM

shrkbay said:
@celpas, they may have used different system and difference between 336 and 192 SPUs is big, percentually the same as 560 and 580...

You mean 216 shaders vs 336 shaders as the current gtx 260 has 21.In any case,you can't compare fermi architecture with the 200 series.192 shaders in fermi does not equal 192 shaders in 200 series.At stock clocks if you compare FERMI and 200 series the gtx 460 is right about equal as the gtx 285 which has around 242 shaders but they perform pretty equal.
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 17, 2011 1:39:27 PM

Nvidia only because of driver support for older cards as well more stable drivers than ati. I want to go ati but their drivers are not what I like.
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 1:45:34 PM

336 shaders give you much more performance percentually than 216 shaders, even if the 216 shaders are on better chip, so i don't understand why are you complaining that anandtech makes "fake" benches...
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 2:42:03 PM

As others have stated it is more Price for Performance -- After deciding on a budget you then look for the best performing card at that price level whether it is from ATI or Nvidia.

Only so far as to obtain the best performance out of the card for the money spent buying it -- ie. I do not buy every new generation of card that comes out but when the performance of a card I have falls below an acceptable level on new games etc. then will look for the newest tech that offers the best performance for the price I want to spend on a new card (and usually my older card then gets passed on to other family members who usually are using even older cards.

Yes but only as a part of the process and will compare results from several such sources since some of the reviews are biased and some the testers do not run consistent tests. (ie. reviews of cards will be run at release using the available drivers and then those old benches will be used when reviewing a newly released card using new drivers that have improved performance but they will reuse the results of the old tests on the older cards instead of running a new set of benches on all cards in the review which negatively effects the older cards results making the new release look better)
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 2:51:40 PM

In terms of the cards out there, AMD cards have better performance for the price, but I chose Nvidia because they seem to have less buggy drivers compared to AMD.
April 17, 2011 4:59:01 PM

Thanks very much for the feedback, guys. It's a great help. :) 

Judging from the responses I have gotten from question 1, I agree I could have phrased it better. I got a lot of "both" responses, which makes sense (I have the same philosophy of getting the "best bang for your buck"). I realize that most people (myself included) are going to be depending on a certain budget. The question wasn't meant to be an "all or nothing" type of question. Rather, it was meant be more like "which side of the ratio (price : performance) do you lean more towards" type of question. I probably should have been more clear about that.

Thanks again guys! Any more feedback from anyone else would be greatly appreciated.
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 17, 2011 6:02:45 PM

The first concern when I am buying a card is the physical quality of the cooler and the pcb. Then it is drivers after that it is budget. I am very picky and the gtx 460 that I got now was the exception, I usually buy cheap :s
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 17, 2011 6:57:57 PM

1. I agree that its Price/Perf as a whole and not one or the other.

2. I would suggest that this is also linked to 1. The thing is Yes i want to be as up to date as possible; But im not going to pay out for a card that dosent give a decent performance boost as well as access to newer tech, Also the question os is that newer tech relevant, DX10 cards for example was an iffy advance. needs to be taken into account.

3. Reviews are VERY VERY important. We all have reviewers we like to use and have favourites. Its teh only way to get a grip on comparative performance to see if teh card is actually worth getting.

Mactronix :) 
!