Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Video Card Crashes All Over The Place!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 16, 2011 11:50:00 PM

I'll try to be detailed but brief.
Here is my story. A good while ago I have purchased a GTX 560 Ti to replace my Radeon 5870, since I was having way too many issues with it.

My story with the 5870 is that during gameplay, the drivers would either crash or I would get the striped screen of death. At first I thought it was overheating but even after getting it to 60 degrees, I still would get striped screens and game lockups/crashes, even artifacts on the screens. Eventually I was fed up and got rid of the card. (I probably should have RMA'd it long ago but yeah...)

A friend of mine let me use a 5770 until I got a new card, which did not crash at all for the time that I used it. Very stable.

I chose a GTX 560 Ti as my new card, and the problem resurfaced, and way more frequently. This time it even surfaced during watching Flash video.. I am wondering if it may be a power supply issue in which the amps are not enough.

The power supply is an Antec 850 watt Truepower Quattro with four +12v @ 25A each, and the card requires a minimum 500 watt power supply with 30 amps on the +12 volt rails. I'm even thinking that the power supply is only supplying 25 amps regardless of using two 6-pin connectors. I have used a multitude of cards and this power supply, so might as well list them:

NVidia GeForce 7800 GT (Used 1 6-pin connector): Worked fine.
NVidia GeForce 8600 GT (Used 1 6-pin connector): Worked fine.
Sapphire 5870 TOXIC (Used 1 8 pin, 1 6 pin): Issues. Thought it was overheating but issues persisted. System sometimes rebooted after fan was left on 100% outside gaming for extended periods of time.
MSI Twin Frozr 5770 (Used 1 6 pin): Worked fine.
PNY GTX 560 (Used 2x 6 pin): More issues than the 5870

No overclocking was used in these cards (exception: 5870 Toxic edition, which was factory overclocked. Even at stock speeds it failed, however).
So yeah, could that be the issue I have been experiencing all along? It looks like it...
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 8:51:58 AM

sounds like a psu issue. low powered cards work ok, higher powered cards have issues. I know you have a very powerful psu but it probably has a fault. leaking capacitors or something and it can no longer produce good power. I was reading up about the psu when i came across this http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-TruePower-... this shows the 12v rails are 18a not 25a as you say, not that it should have any affect but maybe your psu is labelled incorrectly.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 9:03:21 AM

seems like PSU, but imo it's a great one and should run all of them *and even GTX 580* fine, what are your full system specs?
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 1:51:53 PM

Sounds like conflicting drivers to me.

Did you completely clean out the drivers for the previous card, everytime you tried another card?

Try updating your flash player and Java. I've seen video card driver crash in flash because the person never updated or installed it.
Score
April 17, 2011 9:27:13 PM

geekapproved said:
Sounds like conflicting drivers to me.

Did you completely clean out the drivers for the previous card, everytime you tried another card?

Try updating your flash player and Java. I've seen video card driver crash in flash because the person never updated or installed it.

That is actually something that I did not think of doing; I did uninstall the old drivers in safe mode but if there are some files remaining there that newer driver versions are still using for some reason that could be what is doing it. In fact it would make sense considering that I at times stream myself doing art and use Livestream as my venue, and TF2 giving me a weird BSOD (I even used beta drivers out of desperation since I generally do still play TF2).

What is your recommendation for cleaning the drivers?

Quote:
shrkbay
seems like PSU, but imo it's a great one and should run all of them *and even GTX 580* fine, what are your full system specs?

4 GB DDR2 1066 RAM (G.Skill)
Gigabyte UD3 motherboard AM3+
Samsung DVD-Rom drive (Now dead; I swear those TSSTCorp ones have the life of flies)
AMD Phenom 9850 at stock 2.5 ghz
Antec Truepower Quattro 850 watt PSU
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB Hard drive
Score

Best solution

a c 173 U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 10:21:28 PM

download driversweeper to clean drivers properly and follow all instructions.
April 24, 2011 9:16:19 AM

Best answer selected by Wontoon Kangaroo.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
April 24, 2011 9:24:32 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!