Reverse air flow in pc case

Cappabianco

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hello,
I am Wordering how reversing the airflow in my case will work. Only reason im reversing it is bc i bought an h50 and i want cool air from outside the case blowing on it. Here the link for where i bought the case http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3433320
the fans i put in there are i got one 120mm on outside of case blowing in rear and another on the inside of the case blowing on the radiator then another on other side of radiator blowing to the front and then in the front i have two 80mm fans blowing out of the case where a 5.25 cd rom would be and another 100mm fan blowing out also just above them and i also have a 80mm blowing into the case from the side panel will there be a problem with this setup or anything

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
In a case where the power supply has its own compartment you can reverse the airflow without any major impact, but if you reversed the airflow in this case your power supply would eventually have issues. You could remove the casing and reverse the fan inside the power supply, but that would void your warranty, and I don't recommend anyone open their power supply's case unless they are familiar with discharging capacitors.

Really you want the fans in front blowing air in, and the fans in back blowing air out, the side fan should blow in if you have a downward flow cpu fan. If you have a side to side cpu fan then the side fan be used for either intake or exhaust.

Blowing slightly warmer than ambient air over the cpu vs blowing outside air over it really doesn't make much of a difference, and unless your reaching 95C+ on 100% its not worth the effort to redesign the airflow. And if your hitting 95C on your cpu, you should buy a better case or cooler.

Cappabianco

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

wouldnt the power supply just work as normal mine PSU has a fan on the bottom and in the back so wouldnt that suck in on the bottom then blow it out getting ride of some of the hot air in the case. Only reason im trying this is bc the CPU cooler says its better performance to use cold air from outside rather than using the hot air inside bc i mount the radiator to the fan slots with the fans.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
If you reversed the fans for you case and power supply then your power supply would be pulling in cold air from the back along with your case fan, then blowing slightly warmer air onto the cpu and video card, which would then be pulled out the front of the case.

The back power supply fan would be default be pushing air out. If you were to reverse the airflow only in your case it would have an intake right next to the exhaust (the top rear case fan blowing in, and the power supply blowing out.) This would cause your case fan to pull hot air from the power supply back into the case then blow it onto your cpu.