Sign in with
Your question

Bull vs Ivy vs Sandy

Last response: in CPUs
September 25, 2011 6:20:43 PM

Hi guys

I was Waiting to see how bulldozer will perform !

Becuase I have Phenom 955BE . & i have heat N Bottlenecking problem . Its 2 big problems of AMd cpus . Intel has been great in crossfire N cooler than AMD .

So i wanted to Upgrade to intel i5 2400 . Because I am not OCer , i just need Very fast CPu that Wont Bottleneck my GPu N walk with it & i wont have Heat problems N ill be able to Crossfire Without worring About Bottleneck .

Now I wanna Know . what will be great Step . I wanna get Rid Of Heat ( that i wont be forced to put my Room in very Cold Conditon n Catch a Cold ) . & will save my Vga FroM Pain of Bottlenek & even get ready to have Succesfull Crossfire ( maybe n Maybe not )

So what will it be . i5 2400 ? Bulldozer CPus ( something Better N not more expensive than i5 2400 ) , or Wait For Ivy bridge ?

Amd has Been great option for me because it was Much Cheaper than intel , even Great mainboard Costs very Cheap . but amd has His own problems so its Worth to pay for intel , unless Bulldozer has Low Temp + Very high Performance + No Bottlenecking problems .

I have ATI 6870 , so Please Suggest me something Worthfull . thanks

More about : bull ivy sandy

a b à CPUs
September 26, 2011 10:41:43 AM

Your 955 wont bottleneck your 6870. Simple as that really.

Depending on what motherboard you have currently you may or may not be able to upgrade to BullDozer (AM3+ motherboard required).

No one can give a 100% definitive answer on which will perform best between BullDozer and IvyBridge since neither have been fully released and tested yet.

Switching to Intel, or even switching to AMD if your board ISNT AM3+ is going to be a costly process either way since a new CPU and a new mobo will be required. Id suggest waiting until next year some time when both processors have been released and properly tested and benched against one another.

After all, there's nothing wrong with your 955. What "high temps" are you seeing? What software are you using to monitor them?

Oh and its spelt "AND" not "N"... :) 

a b à CPUs
September 26, 2011 11:11:40 AM

AdrianPerry said:
Your 955 wont bottleneck your 6870. Simple as that really.

+1

What are you experiencing that's making you want to update? What games do you play? How does this "bottlenecking" represent itself? What high temps? AMD tends to run cooler than Intel from my experience - I mean SB has Tcase of 75 or so while AMD recommends less than 60 IIRC.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2011 11:14:43 AM

FinneousPJ said:
+1

What are you experiencing that's making you want to update? What games do you play? How does this "bottlenecking" represent itself? What high temps? AMD tends to run cooler than Intel from my experience - I mean SB has Tcase of 75 or so while AMD recommends less than 60 IIRC.

Based on the grammar and format the OP was written out in, I would be surprised if the CPU had a Heat-Sink/Cooler on it! Either that or the OP just doesn't use English as a first Language :) 
October 1, 2011 3:50:56 PM

Ok listen , first , stock cooler Pissed me Off ! Because it was Making DAMN too much NOISE . And I would keep it under 64 just by Outside Coolers & Making my Room Very Cold . i can Easily See the temp by looking tought the Case and Read the Number of Motherboard Temper ( LED ) . hehe . No software . Temper is FIne Because i have tested it with AMD overdrive software AND temps were same

For Now i am using Aftermarket CHip & regular Cooler . No noise but almost same COndition . But lower temps .

Its Not matter of heat only . I cant Make Crysis run atleast at 40 Fps or 37 . at HeavY Conitions . Guess what ? my Resolution is 1440x900 & aa off & Veryhigh & i have even tested on high setings . lol , but i still get 29-30 or 32 Fps when i look at Fardistance or Fighting with lot of Korean units . specialy Last level of Warhead .

DeadRising 2 Wont RUn as great as it runs on DX9 on XP with over 60 FPS . i sometime get little slow down on DX 10 , but How heavy is Deadrising 2 pfff . That heavy for 6870 ?

Overall , i expected 100% . No lag . no slowdown . but i still notice it In VERY Few Games .such as Crysis 1 & warhead . SC Convection : I notcied bad slow down in a level . I said its not Big Problem . I can Run all the Games FIne .

those few slowdowns . Specialy in Crysis . & Heat Problem . makes me to think about Intel that has Low heat & No bottlenecking danger

a b à CPUs
October 1, 2011 8:25:33 PM

AdrianPerry said:
Based on the grammar and format the OP was written out in, I would be surprised if the CPU had a Heat-Sink/Cooler on it! Either that or the OP just doesn't use English as a first Language :) 

Quote:
Sounds like a handycapped person the way he has worded his questions imo.

*sarcasm* haha haha ha ha */sarcasm*

You're both so umm funny (sarcasm).

How about not being douchebags... what does his mastery of the English language have to do with this thread?
a b à CPUs
October 1, 2011 8:45:48 PM

Just turn the settings down a bit, your system's pretty nice. You don't need everything at ultra do you? ;) 
October 3, 2011 5:49:15 PM

Well YA ur right . k i no longer play that damn game . i guess i have no need for Upgrade
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2011 1:00:09 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
*sarcasm* haha haha ha ha */sarcasm*

You're both so umm funny (sarcasm).

How about not being douchebags... what does his mastery of the English language have to do with this thread?

None what so ever, but in order for a PC upgrade to occur or a new build to be completed, there's a certain degree of knowledge which is required that the OP seemed to lack. There's very little point spending hard earned money on a component you could potentially damage or break due to having no clue what your doing. We all have to start somewhere - I get that, at 20 years old I'm still "early days" into IT support myself but there's better places to start learning basic computing hardware knowledge than TOMs forum. Youtube for example would be a great place to start with video guides to obtain a greater understanding of "How Stuff Works".... before jumping into something at the deep end - such as upgrading your own machine.
October 7, 2011 6:11:07 PM

Man i am not Rookie , i am Programing , Installing Windows, I am researching , N i think i know when there is a bottelneck or not

N this time i realy feel it . Maybe everything is normal , but Why Crysis Should Slow down on 1440x900 + 6870 + quad Core CPU + High Setings ???? I dont know why i can run all other games SO smooht , but this damn crysis will remain just a dream In my Mind ! cz i will never experience 50 FPs smooth gameplay in heavy conditions . but No problem . its stupid to pay another 500 BUcks for just 1 Game .

But anyway , because i love Computing n my Major is COmputer... WHen New CPu comes out , it attracts me so bad , specialy when u can have it for Low price , when i hear its NEwer , faster , cooler , better . why not have it ?

You all surly Experience , Loadings , some time SYSTem Get Confused n responses slower . Or SOmetime . i feel if i had INTEL CPU , it could be much better . or maybe i m mistaking. JUst say what i should do ? get Dispose of Old Trouble maker Phenom 955 , or Keep it N buy NEw Cooler ! Cz i got Tired of Putting that cooler Infront of it N chatch a COLD ! its lot of trouble to cool it down . i almost cant enjoy my Game . Because i have to check every second n when everything goes bad , fan on , off , on off . WHY I CANT TURN on pc , GAme n finsih it , just like u do it with your Dual Core CPUS ! No cooler , no fan . N JUST GAme !!!!!
October 7, 2011 6:15:59 PM

I was Little bit Tired , please forgive me FOr Tons of GRammer n Vocabulary Mistakes . hehe , i got tired of explaining this Problem .

I got Gaming Case with Coolers all over it , i changed my Stock Cooler to Cheap 20$ cooler , but if i dont Put FAN Infront of my Case to push the Hot Air out . then it will reach to 70C!!!!!!! WIll cooler MAster 212+ provide me ? or i need stronger case to Pull out the Hot air ?

Whats my Problem ? bad COoling or being Unable to Pull out the Hot Air from Case ? Because this heat is bigest problem , even if game runs at 100FPs , i cant Enjoy it , CZ when i trun on fan , i catch a cold , & when its off , then CPU Gets AS HOT AS HELL !!!
October 7, 2011 6:22:19 PM

Get Hyper 212, apply just a wee bit of thermal paste(i use arctic silver), and you should be good to go.
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2011 6:54:00 PM

If you're not OCing anything, you shouldn't have any heat buildup with this system. I've got to question your case, airflow, and CPU cooler mount if you're having heat problems this bad. What's your case ( make and model ) and how do you have your fans arranged? What kind of fans? Do you know their RPM or CFM? What's the wiring like inside the case? Is it clean? Is it obstructing airflow? Have you cleaned and dusted the case, especially the intake vents and/or dust filters? Can you be certain the temperature readings are accurate? Might the mboard thermometer be inaccurate? Is the CPU cooler mounted correctly? Is it firmly and flatly on the CPU? Is there sufficient thermal compound ( not too much, not too little, ) between them?

To have heat problems like this on a stock system, either something is malfunctioning or something wasn't installed correctly.

As for performance, Crysis brings everything down to a crawl so why are you using that as your standard of playability? And DX9 takes far fewer resources than DX10 or DX11 so why are you expecting to get the same performance across them?

The 6870 is a good card ( I've got one myself, ) but it's not top of the line and it's not going to max out all current games, and certainly not future ones. But as long as you're averaging 40 fps, that should be more than sufficient.
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2011 7:17:36 PM

Why Crysis Should Slow down on 1440x900 + 6870 + quad Core CPU + High Setings ????

Because its Crysis. Nuff said....

October 8, 2011 4:51:31 PM

HEHe ya ITs Damn Crysis that has problem with almost all rigs !

here is my CASE : http://www.green-case.com/products/case/midi/case.php?m...

In normal usage , its 36 C , i dont know why it gets Crazy ( n etc ) while Gaming !

Info is with Persian , but you can Clearly see that it is gaming N has Enouhg Fans on it . maybe cables Dont let air goes Out . maybe
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2011 6:53:16 PM

Cables will obstruct airflow, and yes I have been watching you whilst you've been back with this account. :whistle: 
October 9, 2011 10:29:39 AM

Oh ok , thanx . i know your PRo . but i wondered how u find me ? by My Questions ? Words Like "U" ?

Because i use VPN N my IP is Differente . I am sure u found me by my Same Old Questions or Giving Same case Name that OLD GUy ( me ) gave . HEHE
October 9, 2011 10:33:45 AM

Any way i didnt come here to Collect Points any more , Cz i already have done that N reached to good one But Faild ! . Now my Point is Geting Help ! thats all

a b à CPUs
October 9, 2011 11:45:04 AM

Not sure what your doing wrong, I can max out Crysis on my rig at 1280x1024(Monitors max res) with 8xAA and get a constanct 45-60 fps.
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2011 7:25:59 PM

Don't buy a mid-range card if you want to play high-end games on high-end settings.

We are talking about Crysis 1?

+1 Don't upgrade your CPU til you decide to upgrade your GPU.
October 10, 2011 11:33:57 AM

Oh whaT ? 6870 is 4rth VGA of AMD . & its mid range . Oh god what else i need to do for my Rig ? get 6990 ????

I have Problme with CRYSIS ONLY ! no other game . Deus Ex , Assasins , Cod s , BFBC 2 , & all other games ran so great , mafia 2 , GTA EFLC , & oh what else ?

im sure there something wrong with my hardware . cz When i was Kid , i upgraded from 8500Gt to 9600 & i saw so much difference , while 9600 is not so far from 8500GT ! but Now 6870 is MUCH MUCH MORE BEtter THAn 9600 N i cant Have atleast 40 Fps on HEAVy conditions . yes Game runs fine . It doesnt lag . but its slow on heavy conditions . But Normal Conditions . it can hit even 50 SOmetimes .but Atleast 40-45 !
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2011 1:56:38 PM

DukiNuki said:
Oh whaT ? 6870 is 4rth VGA of AMD . & its mid range . Oh god what else i need to do for my Rig ? get 6990 ????

I have Problme with CRYSIS ONLY ! no other game . Deus Ex , Assasins , Cod s , BFBC 2 , & all other games ran so great , mafia 2 , GTA EFLC , & oh what else ?

im sure there something wrong with my hardware . cz When i was Kid , i upgraded from 8500Gt to 9600 & i saw so much difference , while 9600 is not so far from 8500GT ! but Now 6870 is MUCH MUCH MORE BEtter THAn 9600 N i cant Have atleast 40 Fps on HEAVy conditions . yes Game runs fine . It doesnt lag . but its slow on heavy conditions . But Normal Conditions . it can hit even 50 SOmetimes .but Atleast 40-45 !

I dont have problems with Crysis at High settings.
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2011 3:45:01 PM

point of the matter here though, is that if anything is "bottlenecking" in his system, its his gpu. the 955BE is by far strong enough to power all and any commands that the gpu needs to pruduce max graphics, as i have it in my system, with a GTX560. I think that is at least comparible to the 6870, not to mention nvidia has physx, am i wrong?

Also, AMD cpu's run cooler than intel because they have too, plain and simple. absolute max for Phenom II is 62c, while ive seen intels hit 80c for extended periods of time and been fine. As I've read on through this thread, i would agree its not your English that needs work, but your facts about very simple things.

Things to keep in mind here...what is your Heatsink/Fan on your cpu? How much RAM do you have? What version is your Motherboard? What type of psu do you have? These are also important components that could be "bottlenecking" your rig.

BTW, 30+ fps isn't bad on your setup for Crysis, and is smooth to the naked eye. do you have bionic eyes???
October 10, 2011 8:31:09 PM

Ok heres my Full rig info

Mainboard : MSI 790FX-GD70 (4 way Crossfire) gaming S

CPU: Phenom 955BE @ 3.2

VGA: MSI Twinfroz II 6870HD 1GB GDDR5 . latest Catalyst . Its Default Clock was 920MHz , i donno why !

Ram: Supertalent 2x2GB DDR3 1333Mhz

HDD: Hitachi 7200RPM 16MB buffer , 500GB !

PSU : Green 685Watt Gaming Series , 50A , 80+ , Crossfire & SLI ready !

OS : Tried on XP 32Bit , 7 home 32Bit , 7 Ultimate 32Bit , 7 Ulitmate 64Bit & all Same ! Tried DX9 Code too !

I Had software for PSU Calculation , n it shows that the PSU that i already have is Gaming & Recommended One !!! SO PSU is FIne

Here is More Details about MY PSU

http://www.green-case.com/products/power/power.php?mode...

I dont Say Crysis Lags , My Problem is that when things go little , HEAVY ! game slows down & drops to 25 - 30 or 35 . In village , far distance ! tons of KPA Units !
October 10, 2011 9:12:03 PM

WIll ya , it is Not Famous , but in my COuntry , everyone trust it , my PC teachers Recommend it , Many reasons , Most Compatible option . Because its not Famous it doesnt mean its not good , Intel Has PSUs as big as Case hehe , but Have u heard of it , have Many of PPl heard of it ? i dont think so

No besure , PSU is FIne , atleast u can See the Info ! its Real gaming PSu n 685 Watt is ENouhg to Feed My Hardwares . as i calculated it with A Software given by That site !

, theres a Mod called Maziar here , his Persian , he will surly give u sufficent reasons why this PSU is FIne for persian USers ! Out of iran , yes , Green is Not Good Brand Since Corsair N Other brands make Quality Stuffs , but In here Quality stuff is GREEN N Cooler Master ! hehe ,
October 10, 2011 9:18:39 PM

N why you think my PSu should be the Problem , what ever it is it is giving enough wattage , why other games wont Lag ? why other games are all fast N Smooth .

THe thing that makes me go n search about Crysis problem is that some of PPL here say that I had No problem with Crysis On same HArdwares N setings !

a b à CPUs
October 11, 2011 10:16:32 AM

quite frankly, if you are only running a 1 single gpu card, you aren't going to get much better results. If you are trying to increase your fps, i recommend going with a GTX580, as it is a very good card, and nVidia supports physX. If you have the money, the GTX590 is a dual gpu card, and will probably give you the boost you need to keep those fps above 60, even with the cpu. At that point though, your cpu will be the bottleneck.

You could always CFX another crappy AMD card :0)
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2011 10:32:34 AM

DukiNuki said:
N why you think my PSu should be the Problem , what ever it is it is giving enough wattage , why other games wont Lag ? why other games are all fast N Smooth .

THe thing that makes me go n search about Crysis problem is that some of PPL here say that I had No problem with Crysis On same HArdwares N setings !

iT migHt be wORth iNvestING iN a NEw KeYboarD wheRe thE caPPs LoCk Key DoeSnt kEEp fLicKiNg oN N OfF
October 11, 2011 2:26:02 PM

Will , i think its worth less to upgrade for Crysis . If all other game run fine , then Let Crysis Run like crap , i dont GIve a *** any more ! thanx for A LL info

& TrY tO CrEatE nEW Styles
October 11, 2011 2:28:55 PM

I meant CRap , not that bad Word HEHE
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2011 2:38:13 PM

Quote:
Here is a tip: Read before you buy.

+1

Checking benchmarks before you buy is probably a good idea in future. That way you know what to expect from your build before you spend money and end up disappointed.
October 11, 2011 3:27:18 PM

I hardly ever believe intel stock fans run hotter than AMDs. The AMD stock fans are GARBAGE..........

Thats all I am saying
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2011 4:21:39 PM

i hate arguing, but im forced too...intel has no better fans than amd when it comes to stock. and quite frankly, their cpu's run much hotter than amd's chips, roughly 15c at max temps.

Thats all i am saying...
October 13, 2011 3:25:04 PM

I don't see how the AMD stock fan is any good

Its just a metal piece with like a 2mm or 4mm fan thats slow. Intels stock is actually like deisnged and the fan is fast.

It is true AMD makes the cooler cpu but intel is the performance
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2011 3:52:17 PM

the PII4 has aluminum heatsinks with copper piping...not bad for stock, and i believe the rpms for the fan is around 1600. IDK, maybe this isnt that great, but if the cpu has to stay cooler, the hsf must have to cool better. i can easily run an AMD processor at 90c...
October 13, 2011 9:53:33 PM

My 4850 plays crysis on all high settings at 1920x1080... >.<
October 21, 2011 8:57:52 AM

You didnt mention the FPS ???? im sure it wont hit 30 FPS if you go to huge Space with Tons of KPA Units n mountains behind .

BUT away , if AMD is cooler n Hits 70C if u dont cool it properly then what intel will do on my Rig ????? ODDDD .. N wait a sec , INTEL is 32 NM how it can be Hoter than AMD ? As much as i heard intel Consumes less power n runs cooler Because of its Design ! SO why you gusy say intel is hoter ?

Only Problem in intel is that if it Burns it will burn whole Mainboard n all hardwares on it . but AMD will burn without causing damage to Other Parts .n my teacher says AMD does its Processes in 9 levels , but intel does it in 4 levels , he says AMD is better , buT i fell intel is faster n brings less bottleneck N trouble . specialy SANDYBRIDGE !
a b à CPUs
October 21, 2011 1:02:04 PM

wow...thank you 348-BiT! Sometimes i feel like i am all alone in my thoughts and posts. I know i am new, but i figured that was a slam dunk statement. Any new "record" OC's that blew up your cpu?
October 21, 2011 3:41:00 PM

384 not to be mean or anything

Try putting an AMD cpu fan on an intel cpu

Its garbage just looking at them too!
October 21, 2011 3:52:51 PM

Can we have one thread talking about BD instead of having many BD threads basically ends up becoming similar thread over and over again??
a b à CPUs
October 22, 2011 12:08:31 PM

Now this thread is funny , a 6870 to play Crysis?
Mid range?
Mid range for me would be a 6950 and the top end to be 6970 and 6990.
Like 384 Bit said , you get what you pay for.....
October 22, 2011 7:03:41 PM

6970 ? will my Phenom 955 BE bottleneck that card ?

maybe i should upgrade my VGA card Instead of CPu !

Im so sorry i have posts that takes an hour to read and understand , its how i used to post , ill fix it .

Today i could keep ym Temps under 65 while playing ARMA 2 & rage , without any FAN infront of it .

I think GOOD COOLER like 212+ will do the Trick , but Im afraid it wont fit in my case , while 2x5870 easily fits in it lol .

As much as i think , all i need is COOL N SAFE Condition .

Can you say which temp range is safe for MY Phenom 955 BE ? i mean for Long TIME ! 2 hours of playing

is 60 - 65 Safe ? over what temp is Little bit Unsafe ?
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2011 10:09:55 AM

a 955BE will not bottleneck any card out there right now, for present day games. its a quad-core, and will OC very nicely. Now, that being said, stock speeds may bottleneck a GTX580/590, but even then, the bottleneck will not affect game performance.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2011 10:57:14 AM

How did this thread make two pages.........?

October 26, 2011 8:57:08 PM

Realy ? you mean , if i play my gam,es at 62-64 C it means , my CPu is SLowly Taking the DAMGE N will show up Later ????

Oh nooo , BUT its expectable for Quad Cores . i tought over 65 will be dangerous n 62 is Normal ! , Now i realy have to do something , i dont wanna see my games geting slower n slower for WHat ? It wont burn, it will slow my pc down first
!