Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AWARD BIOS Code

Last response: in Motherboards
June 17, 2012 2:25:41 AM

Hi,
I've been around on Google to try to find out what my computer's bios is trying to say. I took home my cousin's broken computer to my place to try to figure out what's the problem with it but I just can't troubleshoot this computer. It's letting out a repeating long beep for around 7 seconds and then 2 seconds rest and then it goes for 7 seconds again.
Info: Processor: Socket 478 Intel Pentium 4
MotherBoard: ECS P4M800-M V:10A
BIOS: AWARD BIOS
RAM: DDR 184 PIN RAM

More about : award bios code

a c 137 V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 2:29:14 AM

From what I can find, it looks like it's a RAM failure.
June 17, 2012 2:45:56 AM

^Tried buying a new piece of ram and cleaning out the ram slot. No good result
Related resources

Best solution

a c 137 V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 2:49:04 AM

Hmm. That's all the info I was able to find for a long beep on an Award BIOS. Actually, Award has very few beep codes, from what I could find, and the others are GPU/Graphics related.

Could be a general hardware fault, but that's a wild goose chase, lol. Could also be a bad RAM slot. Try another just to see.

I did read ONE thing about it possibly being the CPU, so I guess you can look into that from here.
June 17, 2012 2:52:55 AM

Don't call me stupid but I took out the CPU to open up the computer and it still managed to make the 5 beeps. I also tried removing the graphics card... All total failure!
June 17, 2012 2:54:34 AM

One more thing, what do you mean by GENERAL hardware failure? And I have tried all 2 of the ram slots! BAD LUCK!
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 2:57:22 AM

General, as in it literally could be anything, lol.

My money is on the motherboard itself, in this case, but it's really hard to tell.
June 17, 2012 3:01:23 AM

My money is on ME SPENDING MY WHOLE SUMMER ON THIS COMPUTER! LOL

Find the problem on this computer is going to be like finding gold in New York!
If it's on the motherboard itself, how could the beep be utilized? I kinda don't get that but things may happen!
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 3:06:46 AM

Turboboy said:
My money is on ME SPENDING MY WHOLE SUMMER ON THIS COMPUTER! LOL

Find the problem on this computer is going to be like finding gold in New York!

:lol: 

If the RAM slots are bad, it should still be able to beep because it can't find that RAM is installed, but that wouldn't affect the rest of the mobo, electrically.

Honestly though, that system is so old that it's not really worth spending a lot of time or money on. A completely new system would make a lot more sense than spending time and money on something that outdated.
June 17, 2012 3:11:22 AM

I wasn't taking about the RAM. But thanks!

I was thinking of fixing her up for my parents to learn about the computer. They are learning so speed isn't a factor.
a c 137 V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 3:18:32 AM

Turboboy said:
I wasn't taking about the RAM. But thanks!

I was thinking of fixing her up for my parents to learn about the computer. They are learning so speed isn't a factor.

Well, the only fault that makes any sense if it's the mobo is the RAM slots (not necessarily the RAM itself). There's no way to fix that except for a new mobo. I think that no matter what it is, that will ultimately be what you need to do (either that, or a new CPU, but the mobo is cheaper, so the best "first" option).

If you think buying a new mobo and possibly new CPU is worth it, then you're more than welcome to do it, but I wouldn't.

Even the cheapest system you could find currently would accomplish teaching your parents about computers and do it MUCH better.
June 17, 2012 3:32:01 PM

I was thinking if either the mobo or cpu is fried, i'm gonna sell the whole computer for parts! I'm just going to try to attempt to find out what the issue is first.
June 24, 2012 1:29:49 AM

Best answer selected by Turboboy.
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 24, 2012 2:03:26 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!