Mushkin Memory Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

iendigma

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Is Mushkin memory compatible with your motherboard? If so what mobo do you have?

Do you know a mobo that Mushkin memory does not play well with?

What timings do you have set for your configuration?

(Please Mushkin brand memory only)

I already bought my Mushkin RAM & ASRock Extreme 4 mobo but neither have arrived in the mail yet, hoping I get lucky and didn't goof.

My RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226299 (Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800))

My Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293 (ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard)

Solution
I run Mushkin Redline in my PC, works great.

Quad channel DIMMs are picked to work in a 4 channel configuration while dual channel DIMMs are picked to work in a 2 channel configuration. They are mechanically and electrically identical and perfectly compatible, it's just a matter of ensuring that they've been tested to operate as marketed.
I run Mushkin Redline in my PC, works great.

Quad channel DIMMs are picked to work in a 4 channel configuration while dual channel DIMMs are picked to work in a 2 channel configuration. They are mechanically and electrically identical and perfectly compatible, it's just a matter of ensuring that they've been tested to operate as marketed.

Solution
No lol, you have full access and timings/latency do not change. How many channels refers to how wide the memory interface is. Basically, it means that you have half of the memory bandwidth that you would have in a quad channel system (IE LGA 2011 with an X79 motherboard). This is no big deal because it won't harm performance much in most software. Compression/decompression, rendering, AVX accelerated floating point work, and some types of folding might see a large hit in performance compared to quad channel, but most software doesn't make much use of any of this and where it does, not significantly. If you extensively do any of the above, then you might be better off with a more high end computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.