Question about Displays

ignorant_toast

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a monitor for my new desktop in the next couple months and I've got a question about displays and resolutions. If a native 1920x1080 monitor is forced to display at 1600x900, would it look any worse than a native 1600x900 monitor?

The reason I ask is that I'm getting a GTX460 and if that's not enough juice to play some of the more demanding games, I would likely drop down in resolution. This leaves me deciding if I should get a 1920x1080 or 1600x900 monitor.

So in addition to my first question, what would be a good choice for screen resolution with a GTX460 1gb?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Play a game on your current monitor with a resolution lower than native and you will get an idea of what it will look like. The 460 should still be able to handle most games on 1080p but just not at maxed detail. I'd turn down detail before i turn down resolution.

ignorant_toast

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I won't be getting the new computer for another week. Mainly, I'm just wondering if a monitor will look worse at a resolution below its native res compared to a monitor native to that lower res.

Can't you do it with whatever you're on now? It'll make the pixels appear bigger, similar to zooming in on a small picture. For some people, it doesn't bother them especially since it's only in game and not on desktop. To me it does look worse but thats why I turn down details instead of res. If you are sitting away from the screen you won't even notice.

ignorant_toast

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
When I turn the resolution down on my laptop it looks really awkward, but I don't know if that's just because I'm used to a higher resolution or if its because its not the native res. I'm just wondering if it would look the same as if I had gotten a screen with the lower res as its native res.