Sign in with
Your question

New build for 3d modelling / rendering

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
June 30, 2011 2:14:15 AM

Hi all...

I'm about to build a beasty new desktop PC workstation for high end 3d modelling / rendering and graphics presentations, and would hugely appreciate some advice! I've never built something from the ground up before, but I'm keen to give it a go.

I will NOT be using the machine for gaming - only for working in 3D architectural drafting and modelling / rendering programs (such as Maya, Rhino, 3ds Max etc...) and some very meaty files in Adobe CS5 (primarily Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop).
And I'm in Australia, so this may limit availability / alter pricing of some brands.

Here is what I've settled on so far: -
i7-2600K SB processor
Leadtek nvidia quadro 4000 GPU
ASUS P8Z68-Deluxe DDR3 motherboard
16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance 1600MHz RAM

From here, I get a little stuck. Would love some advice on the following...

STORAGE:
I'm hoping to choose a small (but good quality) SSD to run OS (Windows 7 Ultimate) and apps, and then another monster hard drive for general file storage.
Any suggestions or recommendations for hard drives?
I've heard that the 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 is a good little SSD, but would appreciate any advice / comments / experience!

CASE + PSU:
Where do I start here? Is it better to purchase a case with a pre-installed PSU, since I'm a new builder?
And how do I determine the appropriate PS?

COOLING:
Again, not really sure where to start here! What do you guys recommend?

For argument's sake, let's assume that budget is not an issue - my primary concerns are decent performance and VALUE for money. Happy to spend a little more if necessary since this is intended as a professional workstation, but not going to go silly just for the sake of it!

By the way, this forum is an absolute gem and has been really helpful so far.
Very keen to hear your advice and recommendations!

Cheers.
August 13, 2012 10:29:22 AM

Hi just wondering what kind of luck you had with the Leadktek Quadro 4000? We use Rhino3D in our office and are looking to upgrade our video card but i'm reluctant to go with the lower cost version of the Nvidia card...
m
l
Anonymous
August 20, 2012 4:19:51 AM

sushimichael said:
Hi just wondering what kind of luck you had with the Leadktek Quadro 4000? We use Rhino3D in our office and are looking to upgrade our video card but i'm reluctant to go with the lower cost version of the Nvidia card...

It's a great card for my purposes. I've had no issues whatsoever.
Although I don't really have any means for comparison, so I couldn't give you advice about whether it's better than the lower cost Nvidia card.
m
l
!