Asphalt Urban GT or Ridge Racer for DS?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy,uk.games.video.misc (More info?)

Anyone got either of these (I see Lik-Sang are showing the US versions as
both being in stock and I have a $20 voucher burning a hole in my pocket!)

Or is it worth waiting for NFSU DS version?

Andy

Nathan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy,uk.games.video.misc (More info?)

Andy Pandy's here and we're in effect, want you to push it back...

> Anyone got either of these (I see Lik-Sang are showing the US versions
> as both being in stock and I have a $20 voucher burning a hole in my
> pocket!)
>
> Or is it worth waiting for NFSU DS version?

can't speak for Ridge Racer but IGN gave asphalt urban GT quite a bad
review. 5/10 or something like that, saying something about it being
rushed. The graphics are there, but the gameplay is not.

--
Nathan.
Bow to the Cow!

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy,uk.games.video.misc (More info?)

> Anyone got either of these (I see Lik-Sang are showing the US versions as
> both being in stock and I have a $20 voucher burning a hole in my pocket!)
>
> Or is it worth waiting for NFSU DS version?
>
> Andy

Well, I purchased "Asphalt: Urban GT" a few days after getting an NDS and
"Mario 64 DS". I went with "Asphalt: Urban GT" as it was the only other
game that I was remotely interested in, well that and "Madden 2005 DS". I
was a little ify on "Madden 2005 DS" though, as I didn't care too much for
"Madden 2004" on the GBA.

I'm happy with "Asphalt: Urban GT" (AUGT) and play it often. I think
Gamespot's review for it covered it very well.
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/driving/asphalturbangt/

I don't find the menu system with AUGT to be lacking at all. It has
everything that is needed and is easy to navigate. Nor do I see a reason to
criticize it not using using the touchpad for gameplay. I can't see how the
touchpad could be adaquetly used anymore. If I had "Ridge Racer" (RR), I'd
probably use the D-Pad over the touchpad for steering anyway. (Practically
all the reviews for RR are saying the same thing, its much easier to just
the D-Pad than the touchscreen.) No reasons for games to have to utilize
the touchscreen, "just because it's there."

Gameplay wise, AUGT could use some improvment. (RR isn't scoring all that
great for gameplay either.) Breaking stuff in AUGT (which you are rewarded
for) has no physics impact. The canned crash routine (doing a 180) gets old
rather quickly. Once you get to know a track very well, and when to step
off the gas and tap some break to begin drifts, it can start to become
monotonous. The jumps are canned as well. You don't have to perfectly
lined up with a ramp, practically just touching it will send you soaring
along the same tragectory had you gone over it right at the center.

Graphics: It looks great. Easily one of, if not not *the*, best looking DS
game right now. I notice some "popups" from drawing on the horizon while at
high speed, but its not distracting.

Sound: Canned. All the vehicles use the same sound effects. Background
music works well though.

Haven't played multiplayer with AUGT, but it looks like it would be a lot of
fun. I've never really been big into racing games, so doubt I'll be getting
RR. AUGT works as the racing game, for when I get in that mood, for me.

-Eric

Andy Pandy wrote:
> Anyone got either of these (I see Lik-Sang are showing the US versions as
> both being in stock and I have a $20 voucher burning a hole in my pocket!)

RR appears to be getting 7/10s, not a stellar game, but might be worth
it for us game starved ds owners.

--
Regards

Mat

www.nextgenconsoles.co.uk
2 week LIVE release list

"Nathan" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Andy Pandy's here and we're in effect, want you to push it back...
>
>> Anyone got either of these (I see Lik-Sang are showing the US versions
>> as both being in stock and I have a $20 voucher burning a hole in my
>> pocket!)
>>
>> Or is it worth waiting for NFSU DS version?
>>

> can't speak for Ridge Racer but IGN gave asphalt urban GT quite a bad
> review. 5/10 or something like that, saying something about it being
> rushed. The graphics are there, but the gameplay is not.

Ridge racer is quite nice, looks like a conversion of the N64 game.
The controls are slightly dodgy, I can't decide between digital pad or touch
screen steering wheel as my favourite input, but the thumb strap is my least
favourite method, it doesnt make any sense to me at all!

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy,uk.games.video.misc (More info?)

Ridge Racer for the DS is quite awful. Ridge Racers on the PSP is awesome. I
haven't heard anything about NFSU for the DS.

Skye