Asphalt Urban GT or Ridge Racer for DS?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy,uk.games.video.misc (More info?)

Anyone got either of these (I see Lik-Sang are showing the US versions as
both being in stock and I have a $20 voucher burning a hole in my pocket!)

Or is it worth waiting for NFSU DS version?

Andy
5 answers Last reply
More about asphalt urban ridge racer
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy,uk.games.video.misc (More info?)

    Andy Pandy's here and we're in effect, want you to push it back...

    > Anyone got either of these (I see Lik-Sang are showing the US versions
    > as both being in stock and I have a $20 voucher burning a hole in my
    > pocket!)
    >
    > Or is it worth waiting for NFSU DS version?

    can't speak for Ridge Racer but IGN gave asphalt urban GT quite a bad
    review. 5/10 or something like that, saying something about it being
    rushed. The graphics are there, but the gameplay is not.

    --
    Nathan.
    Bow to the Cow!

    > Anyone got either of these (I see Lik-Sang are showing the US versions as
    > both being in stock and I have a $20 voucher burning a hole in my pocket!)
    >
    > Or is it worth waiting for NFSU DS version?
    >
    > Andy

    Well, I purchased "Asphalt: Urban GT" a few days after getting an NDS and
    "Mario 64 DS". I went with "Asphalt: Urban GT" as it was the only other
    game that I was remotely interested in, well that and "Madden 2005 DS". I
    was a little ify on "Madden 2005 DS" though, as I didn't care too much for
    "Madden 2004" on the GBA.

    I'm happy with "Asphalt: Urban GT" (AUGT) and play it often. I think
    Gamespot's review for it covered it very well.
    http://www.gamespot.com/ds/driving/asphalturbangt/

    I don't find the menu system with AUGT to be lacking at all. It has
    everything that is needed and is easy to navigate. Nor do I see a reason to
    criticize it not using using the touchpad for gameplay. I can't see how the
    touchpad could be adaquetly used anymore. If I had "Ridge Racer" (RR), I'd
    probably use the D-Pad over the touchpad for steering anyway. (Practically
    all the reviews for RR are saying the same thing, its much easier to just
    the D-Pad than the touchscreen.) No reasons for games to have to utilize
    the touchscreen, "just because it's there."

    Gameplay wise, AUGT could use some improvment. (RR isn't scoring all that
    great for gameplay either.) Breaking stuff in AUGT (which you are rewarded
    for) has no physics impact. The canned crash routine (doing a 180) gets old
    rather quickly. Once you get to know a track very well, and when to step
    off the gas and tap some break to begin drifts, it can start to become
    monotonous. The jumps are canned as well. You don't have to perfectly
    lined up with a ramp, practically just touching it will send you soaring
    along the same tragectory had you gone over it right at the center.

    Graphics: It looks great. Easily one of, if not not *the*, best looking DS
    game right now. I notice some "popups" from drawing on the horizon while at
    high speed, but its not distracting.

    Sound: Canned. All the vehicles use the same sound effects. Background
    music works well though.

    Haven't played multiplayer with AUGT, but it looks like it would be a lot of
    fun. I've never really been big into racing games, so doubt I'll be getting
    RR. AUGT works as the racing game, for when I get in that mood, for me.

    -Eric
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy,uk.games.video.misc (More info?)

    Andy Pandy wrote:
    > Anyone got either of these (I see Lik-Sang are showing the US versions as
    > both being in stock and I have a $20 voucher burning a hole in my pocket!)

    RR appears to be getting 7/10s, not a stellar game, but might be worth
    it for us game starved ds owners.

    --
    Regards

    Mat

    www.nextgenconsoles.co.uk
    2 week LIVE release list
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy,uk.games.video.misc (More info?)

    "Nathan" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Andy Pandy's here and we're in effect, want you to push it back...
    >
    >> Anyone got either of these (I see Lik-Sang are showing the US versions
    >> as both being in stock and I have a $20 voucher burning a hole in my
    >> pocket!)
    >>
    >> Or is it worth waiting for NFSU DS version?
    >>

    > can't speak for Ridge Racer but IGN gave asphalt urban GT quite a bad
    > review. 5/10 or something like that, saying something about it being
    > rushed. The graphics are there, but the gameplay is not.

    Ridge racer is quite nice, looks like a conversion of the N64 game.
    The controls are slightly dodgy, I can't decide between digital pad or touch
    screen steering wheel as my favourite input, but the thumb strap is my least
    favourite method, it doesnt make any sense to me at all!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gameboy,uk.games.video.misc (More info?)

    Ridge Racer for the DS is quite awful. Ridge Racers on the PSP is awesome. I
    haven't heard anything about NFSU for the DS.

    Skye

    "Andy Pandy" <andrew@NOSPAMPLEASEthefunhouse.plus.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone got either of these (I see Lik-Sang are showing the US versions as
    > both being in stock and I have a $20 voucher burning a hole in my pocket!)
    >
    > Or is it worth waiting for NFSU DS version?
    >
    > Andy

Console Gaming Games Gameboy Video Video Games