Ports not aligning with rear i/o shield

jpd9554

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
I've got a problem plugging in devices into all of my ports in the back. The ports are not aligned with the rear i/o shield, and so there are small metal pieces that should be centered that are actually intruding into the space where the devices plugs into. There are other ports that I can use and avoid these, but the day may come when I need these, and besides, it should align.

I have gone through 2 Coolermaster Scout cases. I figured that case was the problem, so I tried a higher end case (Lian Li Armoursuit). The higher end is slightly better, but I still hear a scratching noise when I plug in devices into the problem ports.

It was made aware to me that this could cause problems (break?) with my devices since it would affect grounding somehow.

What I'd like to know is, How "off" does this look to those of you who have built before? And, would you recommend I RMA the motherboard?

I have ruled out that the case is the problem after having been through 3 cases. This is my first time building, but I'm not a dunce. I am sure I used all the right standoffs holes and tightened them properly (hand tight).

Here are three pictures to show exactly the situation. I have tried contacting ASUS. They offered to send me another rear i/o shield, but I declined that for now. (I don't believe the shield is off at all, as there isn't much room for error; it looks fine.) But, I am really wondering if I'm making a bigger deal over this than someone who has more experience would. My main concern is safety of all my parts. I couldn't care less if it isn't perfectly lined up for aesthetic reasons.

pic1: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-pft5lCgvgrY/Tgv1xcCz89I/AAAAAAAACCs/Agh3bApr1rc/s640/IMG_2063.JPG
pic2: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_U1BWugnu0o/Tgv10-uMrII/AAAAAAAACCw/a5PLujT94V0/s640/IMG_2062.JPG
pic3: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-VyPJTHRpB6k/Tgv12q7HTyI/AAAAAAAACC0/O8edMbMxkmA/s640/IMG_2065.JPG

Solution
If it was me, I'd just pull off the IO shield. Wouldn't look neat, but rids the scraping issue. There are no issues that I know of (execpt maybe dust or asthetics) but are you using a motherboard IO shield or a case one?

But seriously. If you are worried, drop the IO shield! There doesn't seem to be any risk in doing so. Some swear it helps ground the mobo, but that is already done through standoffs.

striker410

Distinguished
If it was me, I'd just pull off the IO shield. Wouldn't look neat, but rids the scraping issue. There are no issues that I know of (execpt maybe dust or asthetics) but are you using a motherboard IO shield or a case one?

But seriously. If you are worried, drop the IO shield! There doesn't seem to be any risk in doing so. Some swear it helps ground the mobo, but that is already done through standoffs.

Solution

jpd9554

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

I'm using the shield that came with the mobo. (Niether case actually came with one.)

I was going to just use a tool to snip the problem pieces out of the way (but I'd have to buy or borrow, so I haven't yet), but I didn't want to do that without asking a forum first. I wasn't sure whether it would be safe to remove the shield completely. I mean, I have dust shields over most of my openings,but this area is much higher off the floor at least, so maybe it would be safe. I also have the PCI slot covers with slots in them for vents.

Is this common for things to be this misaligned?

If anyone has anything else to add...

jpd9554

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

Weeks ago I thought that might be the case too, so I tried bending them inward, but they don't fit alongside the motherboard ports. The cutout space would have to be wider for them to go on the sides.

jpd9554

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

If it's not high enough, all I can do is try to get ahold of longer standoffs. Really I shouldn't need to. Two models of cases and sets of standoffs should tell me it's a problem with the board, minor or not. I have tried bending the top-most metal pieces, thinking maybe they were pushing down too hard. That wasn't it. The board sat in the same place with none of them touching at the top.

Can someone tell me how often this has happened to them over their course of building?