Sign in with
Your question

Sandy Bridge Sabertooth w/ new GTX 590 Pictures Feedback

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2011 4:59:16 AM

I am new to this forum but I have been a reader for sometime. I recently jumped back into the game, I started to build a computer for light gaming. So I was looking at the different options out there and I ended up with a Sandy Bridge setup with a OC i5 2500k at 4.2 but I was thinking about pushing it to 4.5 or higher. I first was looking at doing 2x GTX 560 ti OC but I really didn't want to do sli so I was puzzled for a short while, and out came the 590 so I went for it with my new setup, crossing my fingers that the i5 will not be the bottleneck and I don't think it is. I know that many people might be interested in asking me questions about my setup as I was looking for someone who has done this as well.

I ran some basic 3dmark 11 and I will link the results here. Also there is a link to the pictures of my system as I was installing my new GTX 590 from below. Please Let me know what you think and if you have any questions or any tests you want to have me run. I play Bad Company 2, Crysis 2, Call of Duty, Starcraft 2. Mainly built it to support BF3, and other games slated for late this year early next year.

Test Results HERE!

Photos of my system and the GTX 590 install HERE!

XDacer

Asus Sabertooth P67
Intel i5 2500k w/ H50 from Corsair
Asus GTX 590
8gb 1600 Corsair
GS700 Corsair PSU
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 7:03:51 AM

Welcome to the forums :) 
Congrats!That's really a killer rig you have there :D  What resolution do you play at and how much FPS do you get in games like Crysis 2 ?
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 8:27:29 AM

im a little confused, you didnt want sli, so you got a gtx590? a gtx590 is SLI just 2 gpu's on the one card. Hope it doesnt blow up, those things produce enough heat to fry an egg. 2 separate cards are a more reliable/cooler solution.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 2:11:16 PM

Sandy Bridge Sabertooth, is that some kind of newly discovered animal?

Good luck with the GTX590, hope it lasts you at least 3 months.
April 17, 2011 2:50:52 PM

So far as regards to the temps, I have only hit 78-80 on the card under heavy load over 1.5 hour period. I read that the new released drivers are preventing the cards from blowing up now, I don't plan on voltage tweaking it too much until others have perfected this. I hope that my GTX 590 lasts more than 3 months, it wasn't cheap.

I forgot to tell you guys that I am planning on doing 3d Surround, and might even do the 3d vision.

I went with the Sabertooth at the time, because went I went to pick everything up I wanted the P8P67 Deluxe but they were sold out.

Cyrsis 2 Frame Rate does not drop below 60, ever. Full Settings and I am running at 1920-1080.

I am looking at getting 2 more monitors or switching to the Acer 3d monitors.

When I said I did not want to go SLI, I was talking I did not want two cards right away. I always want to make sure that I can upgrade, wanted to leave the other slot open for now. Play with the 590 and might get a 580 and do a tri SLI setup, not sure if my board can handle it. So part of me going with the 590 is my MOBO. It only has one PCIe 16 slot and other drops them both down to 8x, i know that this is only a 4-5% drop which I would be fine with but again I wanted to be able to upgrade later. Plus I would need a new PSU. GS700 is good but it would not power both the 590 and a 580 or even two 580s if I went that route.

Thanks for your feedback and I am still playing with it. I think I want to get a little better case if anyone as any ones they want to recommend that would be great.

XDacer

April 17, 2011 2:53:14 PM

geekapproved said:
Sandy Bridge Sabertooth, is that some kind of newly discovered animal?

Good luck with the GTX590, hope it lasts you at least 3 months.

That is funny, I thought of that myself, Sandy Bridge Sabertooth just discovered. I don't know if I am totally convinced about the heat shield that they put on this board. I think it might be trapping the heat more than protecting it.
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 3:26:44 PM

Looks pretty cool though. I had never seen that board before.
a c 172 U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 4:10:45 PM

XDacer said:
That is funny, I thought of that myself, Sandy Bridge Sabertooth just discovered. I don't know if I am totally convinced about the heat shield that they put on this board. I think it might be trapping the heat more than protecting it.

From the looks of it I think that it is only for looks or is a emi shield. If it is for thermals than there would be thermal pads or small blocks that attach to the shield for thermal dissipation but beyond that it looks Nice. ;) 

Congratulations you have great taste for boards.

Good luck with your system but always be willing to be aggressive with the fan settings and if you keep that cool enough it will outlast it's usefulness.
a c 79 U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 4:43:13 PM

few points that come to mind:
With 590 you are running two gpus from one x16 slot, making it effectively x8 for each chips, just like with two cards x8x8 setup.

Doing a 3way sli with 590 and 580 is a bit questionable, the chips on the 590 are downclocked quite a lot to keep them from blowing up the card and this will have the effect of downclocking the 580 as well to sync. And in this setup you'll only have eff x4 for each chip on the 590. 2way sli with 580s might be a better choice...

That mobo looks wicked :D 
April 17, 2011 5:10:58 PM

Kari said:
few points that come to mind:
With 590 you are running two gpus from one x16 slot, making it effectively x8 for each chips, just like with two cards x8x8 setup.

Doing a 3way sli with 590 and 580 is a bit questionable, the chips on the 590 are downclocked quite a lot to keep them from blowing up the card and this will have the effect of downclocking the 580 as well to sync. And in this setup you'll only have eff x4 for each chip on the 590. 2way sli with 580s might be a better choice...

That mobo looks wicked :D 

Kari,

I was thinking the same thing, however I think I will have to upgrade the mobo before I add another card, the second pci slot is a 8x, I might have to move to the rampage if I add either a 580 or another 590, but for right now I am impressed with the results so far. It was cheaper than buying two 580s and I would have to upgrade my psu as well. So 700 for gtx590 or 1000 for two gtx580s plus 150-200 at least for psu that can run two 580s
a c 169 U Graphics card
April 17, 2011 6:48:07 PM

EXT64 said:
Looks pretty cool though. I had never seen that board before.

Indeed.
P67 sabertooth is one of the coolest looking boards IMO.
June 15, 2011 1:26:26 AM

Lol, it says ur gpu driver is out of date, might want to check that out. Btw, next time you decide to upgrade, you might want to consider getting some 1600mhz ram. It will really help your 3dmark11 score, as well as your gaming. Anyways, the mobo looks boss and the 590 is a great gpu. Great job assembling it as well, it looks very clean. I have a similar setup, except i have 1600mhz ram, and the asus maximus mobo on custom wc.
June 15, 2011 4:54:33 AM

Estabon said:
Lol, it says ur gpu driver is out of date, might want to check that out. Btw, next time you decide to upgrade, you might want to consider getting some 1600mhz ram. It will really help your 3dmark11 score, as well as your gaming. Anyways, the mobo looks boss and the 590 is a great gpu. Great job assembling it as well, it looks very clean. I have a similar setup, except i have 1600mhz ram, and the asus maximus mobo on custom wc.

Thanks for the feedback, I will update new photos and I have new scores to post as well with the updated drivers. I do have the 1600 speed ram now, I switched that out right away, I also changed cases because I wanted the 590 to breath a little better. It was running pretty hot in my old case, now I have it in the dragon slayer in win case which changed the GPU temps in 3d gaming from 86 to about 77, 1920x1080 3D Bad Company 2. Also in non-3D i am running about 70 or less. Over Clocked a little so 120 fps on my acer 3d monitor in 2d mode. That 590 got some bad reviews from some, but it is sick for 700 dollars, which would take 1000 for two 580s to beat it, but not by that much. Plus I would have to change my Power Supply.

a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 5:52:15 AM

well your rig is nice and you spent a lot of money so do some cable management for goodness sake, im sure that psu and case are well equipped to do so..
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 8:20:40 AM

XDacer said:
It only has one PCIe 16 slot and other drops them both down to 8x, i know that this is only a 4-5% drop

Only a factor if/when 8x is bottlenecked for bandwidth, which has not yet happened with current GPUs; actual performance difference is about <1% with an X58 board comparing 16x/16x vs. 8x/8x
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 8:23:05 AM

GTX590? Your next purchase should really be a 2560x1600 monitor....!

Nice rig, BTW!
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 8:07:59 PM

^ yeah or 3d/triple monitor setup at least to utilize all that gpu power a single 580 or 570 for that matter would have been fine for 1080p imo, but i get it for 700 you get a near 6990 performance but why for a single display!?
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2011 8:56:33 PM

The first Crysis still scales upward about 25% with SLI/Crossfire, increasing from 56 fps to 83 fps, even when at only 1920x1200......

But given a 590, I think I'd be looking for two more 1920x1200 monitors...
!