Computer wont load windows? hardware problem?

oversite

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Hi All,

I have been experiencing some issues with my PC lately and today I replaced the video card to see if that would solve them, however after swapping video cards windows wont load? it gets to the 'starting windows' screen and then goes black and then restarts the computer.

I have tried returning to the original video card but the same thing happens, I have also tried disabling the other hard drives and installing another with a working windows on it however, the computer still restarts at the same point?

I have also tried resetting the BIOS by unplugging the computer and removing the battery to restore the original settings with no result.

I don't know what I could have done to have caused this.

is it a particular piece of hardware that is faulty?
Any ideas appreciated?

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
First, you should clear the cmos by shorting the two pins together with ALL POWER removed...ie...unplug the power supply cord...then REMOVE THE BATTERY... and THEN clear the CMOS.

Next...reinstall the battery and plug the PSU back in.

IF you have the O/S disk...I assume here that you are running Windows 7...if not just google for your O/S as to how to do this next part.

If it is windows 7 OR Vista...run a STARTUP REPAIR by booting off your O/S install disc and choose to repair this installation of windows...just follow the prompts and choose your O/S installation for repair...the machine will attempt to repair the MBR and such...sounds like you may have messed up the start sector or it became corrupted...either way...this repair will tell you if it finds anything wrong with the MBR and attempt to repair any corrupted system files.

See if the machine can successfully boot into windows and you may get lucky here or IF NOT...Do the following below.

Begin with the following repair scenarios to determine if your installation is completely corrupted or beyond saving.

Again....If it's not windows 7...just google your O/S How To Perform a repair installation or "inplace" installation of windows.

For Windows 7 do the following...
start by performing an in-place repair installation of windows which should repair the entire windows installation but saves all your personal files!

See Here.......http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

I had you clear the CMOS to force rediscovery of all hardware by the bios...this should alleviate any issues with hardware and driver problems!

Start-up Repair will probably do the trick...but just in case...you may have to do the rest!

Hope this helps point you in the right direction:)

oversite

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Thanks Mate,

I actually solved the issue today (sorry I should have posted) It wasnt a windows issue it was a bad RAM chip.

I have never herd of a bad RAM chip doing this to a computer before, preventing windows from starting, but when I took out the RAM it loads perfectly and actually resolves all the PCs issues.

Thanks Anyway.