Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is the G. Skill Ares Really 1.25V?

Last response: in Memory
June 17, 2012 2:47:42 PM

I'm building a rig with a ASRock Z77 Extreme4 mobo, and using the Hyper 212+ CPU cooler. I'm not sure which memory to get; I was considering the Ripjaws X 8GB until I saw it might cause some height issues. So, I'm thinking about the Ares 8GB instead. However, in this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/308402-30-skill-ripja... there is some guy who argues that the Ripjaws X are better because they have 1.5V while the Ares have 1.25V. On Newegg and on the G. Skill website however, it lists that the Ares are 1.5V memory. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks!

More about : skill ares 25v

a c 241 } Memory
June 17, 2012 11:12:09 PM

I would go by what Newegg and Gskill say about the product they sell and make!
Score
a b } Memory
June 17, 2012 11:34:45 PM

The Ares is 1.5V. Jaquith was talking about the 1.25V VCCIO/VCCSA voltage needed for the Ares with the XMP profile not the actual RAM voltage (from what I can tell). I could be wrong, but that's what I got out of it.
Score
Related resources
a c 150 } Memory
June 18, 2012 1:01:21 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The Ares is 1.5V. Jaquith was talking about the 1.25V VCCIO/VCCSA voltage needed for the Ares with the XMP profile not the actual RAM voltage (from what I can tell). I could be wrong, but that's what I got out of it.

^ Correct.
Score
June 18, 2012 1:13:54 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:

This is my first time building a computer, so should I be worried about the VCCIO/VCCSA voltage being compatible with my mobo or something like that? Is it something about lowering voltage if using XMP (which I think is like lowering timing right)?
Score
a c 103 } Memory
June 18, 2012 4:53:25 PM

MikGW,

The VCCIO/VCCSA adjustment depends on your CPU. Depending what memory you get, you want to make sure you get a CPU good enough to support it. For example, for the latest extreme Trident X series kits, it is necessary to use the Intel i7-3770K CPU. If you use the i5-3570K, not all will be capable of DDR3-2400+; so you may need to adjust VCC IO/SA and even then the CPU may not be capable of DDR3-2400+.

As far as compatibility between memory and motherboard, you need to look up the memory on the G.Skill website (http://www.gskill.com) to see which motherboard can support it. If you do this, it will insure no problems of reaching the rated specifications of the memory.

Lower voltage and timing is something completely different. XMP can only be used with the proper motherboard and CPU, so like I said above, the key is to 1. Make sure you have a motherboard from the Qualified Motherboard List of the memory 2. Make sure you have a CPU good enough to support the frequency of the memory. If you just want DDR3-1866 or DDR3-1600, then you don't need to worry much about it. Lower frequency memory can be achieved with most CPUs/motherboards.

Thank you
GSKILL SUPPORT

Score

Best solution

a c 347 } Memory
June 18, 2012 5:06:23 PM

MikGW said:
This is my first time building a computer, so should I be worried about the VCCIO/VCCSA voltage being compatible with my mobo or something like that? Is it something about lowering voltage if using XMP (which I think is like lowering timing right)?

HINT to G.SKILL - get different IC's for the Ares and yes I was referring to the VCCIO/VCCSA Voltage, and no I don't recommend ANY kits that requires 1.25v (VCCIO/VCCSA). It's a sign of a bad (cheap) IC and stability issue especially since the Default VCCIO/VCCSA is 1.00v. 1.10v~1.20v max anything more is hard on the SB, SB-E and/or IB CPU.

Oddly, G.SKILL's own documentation states the SAME as I do, but most if not all Ares require HIGHER Voltages then they themselves recommend...
June 22, 2012 6:53:47 PM

Best answer selected by MikGW.
Score
a c 347 } Memory
June 27, 2012 6:47:34 PM

Some Ripjaws Z are indeed a VCCSA/VCCIO of 1.25v, and I don't recommend those kits either.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
June 28, 2012 9:39:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!