Sign in with
Your question

Compatibilty Check / Upgrading

Last response: in Components
September 25, 2011 11:25:17 PM

Upgrading for BF3 need some help

Getting this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Need to find a good and compatble motherboard to work with these,cheers :) 

Also could someone suggest fast RAM and how much to i need? (Ive heard some PC's dont actually use all the RAM)
a b V Motherboard
September 25, 2011 11:50:05 PM

Thats a good CPU and Vid card. However that being said, i would hold off another 2-3 weeks as Bulldozer will be out and that CPU will drop in price a fair amount. and you also have the option of getting the new generation of AMD CPU.

Do you have a budget?

I have that exact CPU in a ASUS Crosshair Formula IV (about 12 months old now)
so if you are dead set on that CPU i would reccomend an Asus Crosshair Formula V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735

great features and overclocking and will support the bulldozer.

Regardless of which AMD you choose (1090T or the new bulldozer) i would get the Crosshair V to go with it.
September 26, 2011 12:36:16 AM

Uh, to be honest, I would NOT get the above mobo. I would just wait for Bulldozer CPUs, and then buy a cheaper, decent board that doesn't give you tons of extra useless features but DOES have PCI-E 3. This way you'll still be able to upgrade to the newest GPUs two, three years from now.
In any case, I would SERIOUSLY hold off on that CPU and wait for a Zambezi part. That X6 isn't bad, but intel outclasses it by far, and AMD themselves are about to release stuff that easily beats it. Don't build a new rig on half-obsolete gear.
The GPU is a nice choice though, imo. Powerful stuff, that.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2011 12:58:56 AM

I didn't know there was an AMD board out with PCI Express 3.0 avaliable atm.

I dont think we need to turn this into a AMD vs Intel sledging match.

but regardless waiting for Zambezi will be the best move regardless of you Intel or AMD choice.
September 26, 2011 1:05:46 AM

No, I don't think there are any AMD boards with PCI-E 3 out YET. Which is why my advice was to wait for Zambezi. And no, I wasn't trying to start an AMD-Intel flame war. In fact... My advice was to wait for Zambezi...
September 26, 2011 1:10:15 AM

So i should wait for Zambezi motherboard? When will it be out? What kinda price range we looking at?
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2011 1:13:02 AM

there are Zambezi supported motherboards out now Anything with the 990FX chipset is a good highend option. but still best to wait till launch and see what changes.
September 26, 2011 1:18:16 AM

Yeah, like Hugo says, they're out there already, just browse any e-tailer you like. Just take your time, remember the CPUs aren't out yet, so you can take a good look around.
September 26, 2011 1:38:41 AM

Im sorta confused,Zambezi is a amd processor? i thought it was the name of the Motherboard! sorry guys! im a nub :( 
Anyway how much will the Zambezi cpu cost when it comes out?
September 26, 2011 2:36:30 AM

Zambezi is the code name for high-end AMD desktop CPUs based on Bulldozer microarchitecture. When people say "Zambezi motherboard" they just generally mean motherboards compatible with these processors, that's all.
The CPUs are expected to cost no more than 250 USD for the fastest ones, but of course we won't know for sure until they're out.
September 26, 2011 12:55:42 PM

Ah i see,thanks for clearing that up.Could someone suggest a fast motherboard with AM3+
My price range for the motherboard is about 150USD
September 26, 2011 1:48:26 PM

Generally speaking, everyone should hold off for a bit till the bulldozer, but some ppl might not have the luxury.

Personally, what i want, is finally a decent laptop (something that you can play crysis 1 full details 1080p and have the battery last 20 hours), but on that ill probably have to wait some years.
September 26, 2011 8:02:52 PM

So i can get any motherboard with AM3+?
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2011 10:07:22 PM

Yeah any AM3+ will work, i would make sure you get something with the 990FX chipset as this is the high end gaming boards.
September 27, 2011 6:15:11 PM

cheers,hell everyone is upgrading for BF3!
September 28, 2011 5:07:52 PM

Is it true that most games wont even use 6 cores?
September 28, 2011 7:38:06 PM

At the moment I believe so yes. Obviously that'll change with time. Games only two years old barely use two cores, modern ones now use four.
September 28, 2011 8:44:49 PM

Ah,so getting a a 6 core wouldn't benefit me for gaming? would it use 4 cores and leave 2 alone?
September 28, 2011 8:58:51 PM

In gaming benchmark the six cores are about equal to four cores on contemporary games... euh, usually. Next gen games are a different story ofc :) 
!