1 billion colors on 21" Sony FD Trintron (UPDATED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokia445pro

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Hey guys!

My first post here :D

ok so i have a 21" sony CRT which i prefer using in QXGA@75Hz on a DG45ID onboard graphics

The bottleneck is RAMDAC on the graphics system running at 350 Mhz while pixel clock at QXGA/75Hz hits 342 Mhz already

Besides i run this via a DVI to VGA dual link passive adapter which is rated for only WUXGA@60Hz. I looked at displayport to VGA active adapter and that seems to be limited to the same extent i.e. WUXGA, atleast until we move to Displayport 1.2 specifications.

Both above points lead to blurriness in the picture especially text, which i have loads of work to do with.

So i was hoping for getting sharper text at QXGA and better colors 12bpc

That led me to ATI 4850 which on the specification page says has a 30bit RAMDAC i.e. billions of colors. Plus i don't doubt the text clarity which comes with high quality ATI cards any more than Matrox cards.

I looked at more latest offerings and the 5770 (specifically Asus EAH5770 which has D-sub/VGA port without a converter) card doesn't mention 30bit RAMDAC for VGA output?

(both ATI 4000/5000 series have Display port 1.1a. 6000 series has Displayport 1.2 but i can't locate a DP1.2 to VGA cable yet)

What's the best way to go forward in this situation to get a billion colors at QXGA? i guess adapters are out!

So i want to ask

1. Do ATI 5000/6000 series have 30bit - 400 Mhz RAMDACs like the ATI 4850 ? Is it too trivial to mention going up the series?
2. Will the 30 bit 400 Mhz RAMDACs provide a billion colors via VGA in 5000/6000 series like ATI 4850?
3. Does deep-color in specifications of ATI 5000 series mean that it has a 30bit RAMDAC which will output 30 bit color via D-Sub/VGA port?
4. If i pick a 6000 series card for Display Port 1.2 then when will the DP1.2 to D-sub cable be available to carry the analog signals precisely?
5. Does ATI Control Centre enable 10bit color for 4850? i mean does it have the driver support working already? i read it was a hit or miss.

Looking forward to resolving this ASAP :)

Solution
a high quality DVI-A cable should be able to provide qxga@85 hz. DVI outputs can either output digitally VIA the DVI's digital pinout or analog using a dvi-a connector. The maximum depends on the quality of the cable used. A top notch DVI-A to Vga cable sould suffice for your needs.

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
a high quality DVI-A cable should be able to provide qxga@85 hz. DVI outputs can either output digitally VIA the DVI's digital pinout or analog using a dvi-a connector. The maximum depends on the quality of the cable used. A top notch DVI-A to Vga cable sould suffice for your needs.

Solution

nokia445pro

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011

Thanks for the information, i'm using a DVI-I dual link to vga adapter but it is rated for WUXGA@60Hz. The DVI-I dual link output from motherboard is NOT limited in anyway. Will the cable not be limited in the same way as the adapter? If no, why not?

Can you give me a link to a cable certified for this kind use beyond WUXGA? i checked newegg didnt find it.

Also is there an advantage to using a VGA to VGA cable if i get a graphics card with a D-sub output built-in in this situation over the DVI-I dual link to VGA cable?

PS: nice quotation on your profile!

Status
Not open for further replies.