ORDERING TOMORROW AM I GOOD TO GO? $2000 GTX570/2500K BUILD

USAGE: gaming

SLI: maybe

Overclocking: yes

parts preference: 2500k mobo, evga gtx 570

please check out my public wishlist below for build info
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=20588327


in case you were wondering...

i am getting two hdd: one for data, one for backup or possibly may run raid 1,0 plus SSD boot drive
two optical drive to facilitate easier disc to disc copying/burning

will 850 watts be enough for SLI in the future?

is asus p8p67 pro good solid mobo? picked this over asrock extreme just because of the fact that it is an asus despite some bad reviews.

want to order tomorrow, so just wanted to get a final okay to make sure everything is compatible/logical:) and are good quality components, nothing rubbish. this is my first build.

Thanks!
16 answers Last reply
More about ordering tomorrow good 2000 gtx570 2500k build
  1. Nice build :) Couple of suggestions id make however, Since your thinking about SSD, it might be worth getting the ASUS P8Z68 mobo which supports SSD caching, and also, replace the DVD optical drive with a Blu Ray - just for some "future proofing" :)
  2. I'd also consider the Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3. It's cheaper (~$150) but will support SLI and is a good board. Another great board is the P67-UD4-B3.

    I personally think the power supply tester and toolkit are a waste. You only need to test the PSU if an issue arises (somewhat rare), and all you need to install a computer is a phillips screwdriver. Just my opinion though.

    That cable tester only tests network cables, and again is not necessary even if it did test other cables in a computer.

    The C300 isn't a great SSD and it had controller issues recently. For that price you can get a newer (and better) Intel 320, Intel 510, or OCZ Vertex 3, all of which use the better Sandforce controller and are FAST.

    You should be solid for SLI on the Corsair HX850 - it will be able to provide easily 900W within its design specs. It's commonly used to run 3-way SLI setups on X58, where the CPU uses ~150-200W, and each GPU uses ~210W.
  3. I'd go with the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 motherboard based off of what I saw in Tom's Z68 Roundup: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-z68-extreme4-asus-p8z68-v-pro-gigabyte-z68x-ud3h-b3,2939-18.html
    Your skepticism about ASRock is unfounded. ASRock is a top-notch brand (and a spin-off from ASUS, btw).

    $2000 sounded high, but you're getting a ton of extra stuff so it's not outrageous I guess.

    Honestly, I'd get a 6970 for Crossfire since it outperforms SLI'd GTX 570 by a wide margin--since SLI is your plan.

    Cooler: I'd get a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme because it's quieter than the Noctuas and a better cooler than the D14: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2562&page=5
    It's also cheaper and better looking.

    You're good on the PSU.

    And I second the Vertex 3 recommendation.

    If you look a little for deals and order over the course of a week, you could probably save $100. Newegg will almost certainly have some kind of sale this weekend.

    EDIT: Also, if I was spending that kind of money, I'd get a 27" screen since that actually impacts your computer using experience.
  4. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.668327
    works with promo code PSU624.

    The promo code and ALL COMBO DEALS disappear at the end of the month (tonight), so i would seriously consider ordering now instead of tomorrow.

    i5+p67pro
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.660725

    ^there are also i5 combos with many other mobos

    personally id go to Best Buy and see/feel mice before you buy. In particular, the logitech g9x and g500 have very similar components/prices but VERY different shapes and button layouts. not a "one size fits all" component.
  5. this ssd is much faster it is corsair's vertex 3 for much less- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233181&cm_re=corsair_force_3_120gb-_-20-233-181-_-Product

    whats with the tool kit you dont have a screwdriver? that is all you need

    ill tell you right now that psu will work great. no need for that tester. test it in your build and if it doesnt work (it will work) send it back

    i dont think you need the cable tester either

    here is a better cpu cooler for the same price 89.95$ free shipping- http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003XRAKLQ/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&qid=1309447557&sr=1-1&condition=new

    i dont like the haf series they suck in a lot of dust and its paint chips off here is another option- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068&cm_re=nzxt_phantom-_-11-146-068-_-Product

    gpu (cheaper after mail in rebate)- http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-PCI-Express-Graphics-012-P3-1573-KR/dp/B004O6MOC8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309447810&sr=8-2

    if you were thinking of sli dont get a 570 get a 6970- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161356&cm_re=6970_2gb-_-14-161-356-_-Product

    here is another option for your motherboard it is cheaper but still has lots of features- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128493&cm_re=z68_motherboard_gigabyte-_-13-128-493-_-Product

    i would invest in a better set of speakers. but that is just my opinion
  6. You don't need to spend that much on a case. Too big for what you're putting in there. Try the HAF 912 or 922.

    mjmjpfaff said:
    i dont like the haf series they suck in a lot of dust and its paint chips off here is another option


    I would expect so... they're called high air flow for a reason. As for the paint, mine is fine, and I've never heard anyone else complain about them before, and they're used here a lot.
  7. Good combos Genghiskron.

    I don't see where the Thermalright Silver Arrow beats a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme in any way--it costs more, cools the same, has about the same noise, and looks worse. But I guess it's personal opinion.

    Amazon's definitely cheaper for some parts. If you buy your CPU and mobo separately, you should buy the CPU on Amazon.

    If you spend $170 on a motherboard, I'd just spend $190 for the best: ASRock Z68 Extreme4. Otherwise, go for a cheaper Gigabyte with 8x/8x PCI-e lanes. Although the ASUS Pro combo linked by Ghengiskron is a great option as well.
  8. Taylor422 said:
    You don't need to spend that much on a case. Too big for what you're putting in there. Try the HAF 912 or 922.

    I would expect so... they're called high air flow for a reason. As for the paint, mine is fine, and I've never heard anyone else complain about them before, and they're used here a lot.

    my friend just built a rig with the haf 932 and its paint is chipping off. he didnt do anything to it.
  9. dalauder said:
    Good combos Genghiskron.

    I don't see where the Thermalright Silver Arrow beats a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme in any way--it costs more, cools the same, has about the same noise, and looks worse. But I guess it's personal opinion.

    Amazon's definitely cheaper for some parts. If you buy your CPU and mobo separately, you should buy the CPU on Amazon.

    If you spend $170 on a motherboard, I'd just spend $190 for the best: ASRock Z68 Extreme4. Otherwise, go for a cheaper Gigabyte with 8x/8x PCI-e lanes. Although the ASUS Pro combo linked by Ghengiskron is a great option as well.

    i wouldnt call the extreme4 the best. especially if you are gaming. it has outputs for the on-board graphics!

    this is where the silver arrow beats it
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-silver-arrow_6.html#sect0
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2535-14.html
  10. mjmjpfaff said:
    my friend just built a rig with the haf 932 and its paint is chipping off. he didnt do anything to it.


    Probably just bad luck.
  11. Taylor422 said:
    Probably just bad luck.

    probably. but i wouldnt take a chance on it. that is just me though......
    you here about corsair's new "high airflow" cases?- http://www.corsair.com/cases/carbide-series.html
  12. yeah it would be unwise to take on chance on a case that has 798 5-egg reviews and 10 1-egg reviews... (yeah yeah newegg reviews dont mean anything...sure)

    btw...corsair really nailed that white paint...
  13. genghiskron said:
    yeah it would be unwise to take on chance on a case that has 798 5-egg reviews and 10 1-egg reviews... (yeah yeah newegg reviews dont mean anything...sure)

    btw...corsair really nailed that white paint...

    i love the white one too.
  14. mjmjpfaff said:
    i wouldnt call the extreme4 the best. especially if you are gaming. it has outputs for the on-board graphics!
    I know that normally would mean it's low-end, but based of any benchmark I've seen, it's still top-notch.

    Also--the Tuniq looks a lot better on Frosty Tech than Tom's Hardware's reviews. It's crazy how huge the difference in reviews is.
  15. Quote:
    i wouldnt call the extreme4 the best. especially if you are gaming. it has outputs for the on-board graphics!


    It's a Z68 board. It's supposed to have the on-board graphics outputs.

    I hope Corsair's new mid-towers will end up cooling better than the 650D. Kind of reminds me of the Silverstone FT02.

    BTW, where is the OP? :whistle:
  16. dalauder said:
    I know that normally would mean it's low-end, but based of any benchmark I've seen, it's still top-notch.

    Also--the Tuniq looks a lot better on Frosty Tech than Tom's Hardware's reviews. It's crazy how huge the difference in reviews is.

    that is really weird i know. it makes it hard to compare cpu coolers
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product