Upgrade?

ciand06

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Hi,

I'm currently using a Acer G235H Full HD LCD 23" monitor. Its a not bad screen,
decently sharp and bright. I wanted to change it to something larger with a little
better quality.

I'm looking at a Benq GL2440HM.

difference is the larger size (24") and its LED.

Worth the upgrade? Better picture? notice any larger size increase?

Upgraded the computer recently and thought I think a new monitor would compliment the upgrade!

Cheers

Solution
Doubt there would be much difference at all. The same res on a larger screen can look worse as the pixels are farther apart. LED will make the colors look a bit better, and the energy use will be lower, but thats it. Its more of a sideways move then an upgrade.

4745454b

Titan
Doubt there would be much difference at all. The same res on a larger screen can look worse as the pixels are farther apart. LED will make the colors look a bit better, and the energy use will be lower, but thats it. Its more of a sideways move then an upgrade.

Solution

Zenthar

Distinguished
And the fact that LED would make colors look better is contestable, some people actually prefer good old fluorescent backlit.

ciand06

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
yeah...i think im just looking for an excuse to spend money on a new monitor.

guess i better jump up to a 27" then since there is nothing inbetween.

what would be the cheapest upgrade option?

Zenthar

Distinguished
Actually, the Dell U2410 might be an in-between upgrade. It's a 24", but with a resolution of 1920x1200. The extra vertical pixels make it a great monitor for working, it has very good image quality and viewing angle.

Zenthar

Distinguished
The UltraSharps are priced that high because they are IPS monitors, not TN like most of the inexpensive ones. The benefits of IPS are better color quality, better viewing angle and often better contrast.

Yes, you could probably get a 27" TN, but would it even have higher resolution or still be 1920x1080? Just getting a bigger screen is far from getting a better screen. As 4745454b said earlier, you would just get bigger pixels which, up-close, could actually look worst.

I'm not trying to convince you of going one way or another, but I think people should be more aware of the pros and cons of their options so they don't fall victim to marketing hype.

ciand06

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
yeah i know.

i work in retail selling tv's. IPS doesnt really bother me, but i know when the screen gets larger the resoultion stays the same.

the 27" will still be full hd, so yeah pixels will be more visible.