Now that it's built... how to transport it across the world?

Milanna

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Ok, first of all forgive me guys. I'm pretty sure this isn't a good place to put a thread like this but I searched all over the rest of the forums and couldn't figure out where else it might fit so I'm sticking it here and hoping not to get eaten alive... (hoping any mods might move it before that happens...).

Quite unexpectedly I'm moving to Japan next month (currently USA). Most people suggest buying a new pc there but I don't think they realize I've dumped over 2k in this beautiful machine that runs CS5 like a champ just as I intended and transporting it would be way less expensive than buying something there that wouldn't be half as powerful as what I've got right now. So, the question comes...

What's the best/safest way to move a huge, heavy workhorse of computer halfway across the world? Should I pad the crap out of it with packing material and check an extra bag through the airline (this idea kind of scares me)? Should I pad the crap out of it and ship it express mail? Should I disassemble it, box the parts, and bring or ship those? Not really keen on the idea of disassembley since I can't get the heat sink on the mobo by myself (curse these tiny hands!) and I'm not gonna have anyone over there to help me.

This probably sounds really dumb but I have no clue and I can't afford another pc if I bust/lose this one so advice is much appreciated.

(On a similar note: does anyone know if I can just plug my computer in to a socket in Japan? I know most buildings don't have a ground but other than that I'm not sure how it works in foreign countries...).

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
If you have an address there, ship it via DHL (they are even on Okinawa). Box it up, and pad it heavily before shipping (if you have the biodegradeable starch packing peanuts, fill the case with em [no static issues with these]). If you are military (or a spouse), ship it with household goods (the second pickup, for kitchen stuff, ect...). As for the power issues, check the voltage ranges on the equipment (should be 100v-240v AC), if the voltage is fine then the worst you'll need is a new power cable/adaptor.

P.S. most decent power supplies are auto voltage, so you should be good to go (unless you bought one with a red voltage switch).

Milanna

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Oh wow. I don't know why I didn't realize DHL was in the US. I'm not military (but I'll be pretty close to Okinawa anyhow :D!) so I'm not sure about their shipping procedures.

But so basically, it is safe to ship assembled then?

Is there some reason DHL is better for shipping a computer than USPS? Do they have a track record of handling packages with more care? Because putting the same measurements in the DHL and USPS calculators... DHL is looking about $250 more than USPS...

Good call on the peanuts. I probably wouldn't have thought of the static issue until too late.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
DHL usually takes better care of the packages (less damage), especially since they are a smaller company (they are faster too). USPS be prepared to have things disappear, or be broken. USPS will take about 4-6 weeks to get there, DHL is around 10 days. DHL is similar to UPS or FedEx.

Milanna

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Hmm well I was thinking EMS (usps express) with full insurance since should be a week or less (depending on customs). I ship delicate collectibles overseas with EMS that are as large as (in size only, not weight) and worth almost as much as my PC all the time but since the PC is a little more vital I want to take extra care.

Not saying I won't go with DHL but I need a good reason to spend $250 more than USPS express so just trying to work this out :D.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Dont check it on an airplane they are ROUGH on checked luggage, you might be able to carry it on and stick it in the overhead bin though HAHA, dunno though it depends one the airline, and how airport security would react to it as a carry on.