Sign in with
Your question

My internet connection keeps disconnecting

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 20, 2010 7:33:35 PM

Hello, My internet connection keeps disconnecting, I've tried looking online, repairing it with the windows repair tool, unplugging the router and it still wont work. It started about 2 days ago and it just keeps getting worse and worse. At first it was like once every 30 minutes now it happens every 10 minutes!! I know this isn't alot to go on but tell me what you need to know to diagnose the problem and I'll try to answer you.
Thanks.

More about : internet connection disconnecting

Anonymous
December 20, 2010 7:40:43 PM

Establish whether it's the service coming into your home or the connection between your router and computer. You can do that simply by addressing the router's setup screens (see router manual for how) and observing whether the interruptions affect that connection.

If it's wireless see here:

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
December 20, 2010 7:48:22 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.
1) The router is already above furniture level.
2) What do you mean when you say experiment with channels? I don't know alot about computers.
3) Still don't understand what you mean with channels. :S
4) Ok, did that. I can't tell any difference.
5) I can't move my computer, I only have one spot in my room where I can put it.
Is there anything else I can do? I really appreciate the help by the way.
Related resources
Anonymous
December 20, 2010 7:52:37 PM

"2) What do you mean when you say experiment with channels? I don't know alot about computers.
3) Still don't understand what you mean with channels. :S"

See the router setup guide which should be a leaflet which came with it -- or download the router's full user manual, perhaps from CD which came with it, or from maker's support site.
December 20, 2010 7:53:16 PM

I don't know if this is relevant but it says that my connection is excellent, it has all five bars full, but it keeps disconnecting anyway. And I think it's my computer, we have 3 other computers connected to this network at the moment and they don't have any problems, it's just me.
Anonymous
December 20, 2010 7:58:59 PM

So, try connecting the computer to the router using the networking sockets and an ethernet cable. If the problems go away, probably your computer's wireless is on the fritz.

December 21, 2010 7:43:25 AM

I moved my phone like you said and somehow it got fixed. Thanks a bunch. :D 
March 23, 2013 5:46:29 AM

DCing said:
I don't know if this is relevant but it says that my connection is excellent, it has all five bars full, but it keeps disconnecting anyway. And I think it's my computer, we have 3 other computers connected to this network at the moment and they don't have any problems, it's just me.

Hi , did you ever get a solution to your problem? I see that this was in Dec... I have the very same problem..other computers in the house is not effected... hope you can help!! Thanks

DCing said:

Hi , did you ever get a solution to your problem? I see that this was in Dec... I have the very same problem..other computers in the house is not effected... hope you can help!! Thanks

DCing said:

!