My computer would freeze up & the drive was running non stop I was told to c

sheda

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
My computer started freezing up the minute it got to the Windows screen, its an HP Pavilion & it has never gave us any trouble. When it would freeze up the drive sounded like it was about to run out of the computer on its own. Immediately I thought it was the hard drive. So I asked someone if they knew anything about the situation. They told me it was most likely build up of dust in the computer, so I took it apart & sure enough it was caked on the fan. after I cleaned all the gunk off I put it back into the computer & rebooted. I got into a screen that said it was shutting down so that the CPU Unit didn't burn up fan not operating. It immediately shuts down, I removed everything again & made sure it was good & clean, my main fan wasn't turning on, so once I got both fans working I rebooted & the same screen, it is up for about a second & turns off. Both fans are running. The drive isn't making the loud noise it was, & both fans are running. Anyone have a suggestion. This computer has been the best we've ever owned, no problems until 2 days ago. Now no computer. Its our main desk top where we run the wireless network & the wireless printer. Its my husbands, all he ever does is check his email & uses i-tunes for his MP3 player.
Sheila

The large metal lump in under the fan is called a heat sink, is this firmly fixed to the motherboard, it should be as-if it were a part of the motherboard, if there is any movement between them then the heat sink is not properly connected to the chip. The chip is shutting down to protect its-self.

During the cleaning its possible that you could have dislogded the latching mechanism.

TRENDING THREADS