ASRock Z68 extreme3 gen3 not passing POST.

miketfromlv

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hey guys, need some help.

I got my ASRock Z68 extreme3 gen3 motherboard in the mail, as well as everything else I'm building with, and I'm having some issues.

I get everything hooked up, ready to go, and I go to power on my system to make sure everything is working. It doesn't pass its POST, and beeps 4 times. Dr. Debug is giving me error 55.

After some reading, I've come to the conclusion that the motherboard isn't accepting the ram, and that I probably need to update my BIOS. Are there any other things that could cause this problem? Everything's compatible, installed the way it should be, etc.

Thanks

CDdude55

Distinguished
Ya according to the manual "0x55" is memory related, what memory sticks are you using?

Also have you tried booting with a single stick installed?(sometimes it's easier for a system to address a single stick on startup)

miketfromlv

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

This RAM, and yes, I've tried using one stick. I've tried with both slots, and still no bueno.

1manG33kSquad

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I ran into this problem myself. If you think the RAM is still working then it's a bios issue. And yes, updating the bios fixed it.

This line shipped with a bios before the Ivy Bridge existed, and doesn't support it. Flashing a new bios isn't exactly possible unless you have a sandy bridge lying around, but if you call ASROCK they'll send you a chip with the new bios. If you bought the Mobo recently it will be free, otherwise it's $15. It's really easy to swap out the chip.

Good luck.