wake on wireless cards??

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2005 5:45:50 PM

Do wireless networks cards that support Wake On Wireless currently
exist? I have found multiple wireless chips, the Atheros AR5004X, SiS
163, and the Realtek RTL8180L, that say it is supported in their chip
but I cannot find anyone that has a card that says it is supported,
Cardbus, mini-PCI, or USB.

If anyone knows of any type of card that supports Wake on Wireless and
could direct me to it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

More about : wake wireless cards

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2005 7:15:31 PM

On 22 Jun 2005 13:45:50 -0700, gforret@microind.com wrote:

>Do wireless networks cards that support Wake On Wireless currently
>exist? I have found multiple wireless chips, the Atheros AR5004X, SiS
>163, and the Realtek RTL8180L, that say it is supported in their chip
>but I cannot find anyone that has a card that says it is supported,
>Cardbus, mini-PCI, or USB.
>
>If anyone knows of any type of card that supports Wake on Wireless and
>could direct me to it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

While you are looking for such beast. Alternate option is to get a
stand-alone WiFi box and attach this to your wired ethernet.
June 22, 2005 9:33:10 PM

bobb wrote:
> On 22 Jun 2005 13:45:50 -0700, gforret@microind.com wrote:
>

>>Do wireless networks cards that support Wake On Wireless currently
>>exist? I have found multiple wireless chips, the Atheros AR5004X, SiS
>>163, and the Realtek RTL8180L, that say it is supported in their chip
>>but I cannot find anyone that has a card that says it is supported,
>>Cardbus, mini-PCI, or USB.
>>
>>If anyone knows of any type of card that supports Wake on Wireless and
>>could direct me to it, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
>

> While you are looking for such beast. Alternate option is to get a
> stand-alone WiFi box and attach this to your wired ethernet.

I'd like to try this. Can you explain more how this works?
Every wake-on-lan I've ever built required a separate wire from
the ethernet controller to the motherboard.
mike

..
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2005 11:02:25 AM

you CANNOT wake up a device that's networked via a wireless connection.
you CAN wake up a wired network device from a wireless connection,
however.
all modern ethernet cards and motherboards support WOL without an
internal connector via the PCI bus.
i use my wireless machines regularly to wake up my wired home server.
send a magic packet to the server wirelessly, via the wireless access
point and wired router...
!