First Gaming Build ~$1000

Approximate Purchase Date: Hopefully sometime in the very near future.

Budget Range: $1000, would like to be at or under... $1200 max (if it's absolutely worth it)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, really all that matters with this one. :)

Parts Not Required: Mouse/Keyboard/Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg mainly, unless another reputable site has an amazing deal.

Country of Origin: U.S.

Parts Preferences: Phenom X4 955/965 BE on an AM3+ MOBO (plan on upgrading in the future). Also looking to go with ATI GPU this time around. Haven't really made my mind up on anything else for sure at this point.

Overclocking: Yes, in the future when I need an extra boost.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, also in the future... don't really have the cash atm.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p, don't want anything smaller than a 22'

Additional Comments: My main goal with this setup is to "future-proof" it as much as possible.
11 answers Last reply
More about first gaming build 1000
  1. So many parts depend on personal preference and what you want from your machine other than future proofing, but here are the basics:

    CPU: 955 BE
    MOBO: Probably something in the $200 range with 990 FX chipset such as Asus Sabretooth 990FX
    MEMORY: 1.5V Low CAS ( 7 or 8 ) 1600Mhz memory 4-8GB - This according to reviews about LLano seemed to be the sweetspot but as soon as there are FX reviews we'll know better.
    GPU: Probably the most controversial part of the build, depends how much juice you want. Generally I would say 6870 and up.
    PSU: Unless you plan on going to the very highest end with crossfire( like 3x 6970 ), 850W PSU should do to future proof for XFire. ( Antec, Corsair, XFX have good options )
    Case: Something solid with good airflow Antec 300 illusion is a good baseline
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
    DVD: Pick whatever you feel like pretty much they are all about 20 bucks. Asus or Lite-on have been popular.

    Display: Whichever feels good in the about $200 range, for gaming 2ms response time would be good.

    I ran a quick check on it and came to about $1000 after rebates without the monitor.
    955BE, Sabertooth 990FX, RipjawsX CAS8 1600Mhz, MSI Twin Frozr III/PE 6950 2GB, Corsair HX850, Antec 300 Illusion, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, Lite-on DVD
    ~$996
  2. Thanks for the reply! Any input or examples helps, since there is so much to choose from.
  3. JackNaylorPE said:


    This. Don't listen to the guy who said AMD, for a $1000 system the AMD would be embarrassing.
  4. f4de2bl4ck said:
    Approximate Purchase Date: Hopefully sometime in the very near future.

    Budget Range: $1000, would like to be at or under... $1200 max (if it's absolutely worth it)

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, really all that matters with this one. :)

    Parts Not Required: Mouse/Keyboard/Speakers

    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg mainly, unless another reputable site has an amazing deal.

    Country of Origin: U.S.

    Parts Preferences: Phenom X4 955/965 BE on an AM3+ MOBO (plan on upgrading in the future). Also looking to go with ATI GPU this time around. Haven't really made my mind up on anything else for sure at this point.

    Overclocking: Yes, in the future when I need an extra boost.

    SLI or Crossfire: Yes, also in the future... don't really have the cash atm.

    Monitor Resolution: 1080p, don't want anything smaller than a 22'

    Additional Comments: My main goal with this setup is to "future-proof" it as much as possible.


    again amd is going the extra core route. their flagship cpu will be an 8 core cpu. do you really think it will be great for gaming? their 4 core cpu's will probably be weak and no match for the i5 2500k.

    i am not obsessed with intel, i am just trying to figure out the facts. i want amd to do well so it drives down prices and so i have another reason to build a new rig :D .
  5. I suggested parts according to the preferences, and if he wants a future proofed AMD rig, then the stuff I listed would do it.

    Until reviews of the final versions of the Bulldozer FX chips come out it's hard to tell if they will be worth it or not.

    But the fact of the matter does remain as suggested above that atm from a performance standpoint Intel sandy bridge would be the way to go.
  6. rvilkman said:
    I suggested parts according to the preferences, and if he wants a future proofed AMD rig, then the stuff I listed would do it.

    Until reviews of the final versions of the Bulldozer FX chips come out it's hard to tell if they will be worth it or not.


    But the fact of the matter does remain as suggested above that atm from a performance standpoint Intel sandy bridge would be the way to go.

    By the same logic I can say he can wait for Ivy Bridge since it will also be LGA1155 and the current SB processors crush the AMD chips. The i3-2100 is faster than the Phenom II X4 980 in gaming. Your recommendation is hardly "future proof" if there is such a thing considering the lowest SB i3 is faster than the fastest AMD chip.
  7. For a budget like that Intel Builds are better, they have great overclocking ablity. They beat top end AMD processors in it. Here's a review
    Here's a build with monitor and OS :

    CPU & Motherboard : $333- i5-2500K & MSI P67 G45 (Great processor and Dual SLI/Crossfire capable motherboard)

    RAM: $75 - GSkill RipJaw (2X 4GB)

    Case: $50- Cooler Master Elite 430 ( or Cooler Master HAF 912 for $60)

    Power Supply : $90- Antec EarthWatts EA750 (Capable to supply power to two cards)

    HDD : $60- Seagate Barracuda 1TB or Samsung Spinpoint 1TB from Amazon

    Optical Drive : $20 - Asus

    Monitor : $200- Asus VE248H 24" LED Backlit 2ms response (1920X1080)

    OS: $95- Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64bit)

    Graphic card : $240- EVGA Superclocked 560Ti (Great Card For this price)

    Total(excluding rebates) : 1163 USD

    Rebates : 35 USD

    If this gets overbudget. Consider the following :
    1. Drop to 23.6" monitor ( Asus VE247H for $190). Save $10
    2. Drop the RAM to 4GB ( like Mushkin enhanced blackine for $42) Save $33.
    3. Drop to 500 GB HDD (like Seagate Barracuda for $40). Save $20.
    4. If you have the OS then no need to buy it. Save $95

    Alternate option for graphic card : On AMD side you can get HIS Radeon 6950 2GB worth $275. It is capable of unlocking to 6970

    SLI performance 560Ti
    Crossfire performance 6950 2GB
  8. browsingtheworld said:
    By the same logic I can say he can wait for Ivy Bridge since it will also be LGA1155 and the current SB processors crush the AMD chips. The i3-2100 is faster than the Phenom II X4 980 in gaming. Your recommendation is hardly "future proof" if there is such a thing considering the lowest SB i3 is faster than the fastest AMD chip.


    I recommended a future proof AMD build according to the part preferences, the worth of the chips, platform or if there was something better out there was not in question. At the moment that future proofing is accomplished with a feature rich AM3+ board( 990FX, USB3, Sata 6Gb/s), a powerful enough PSU to run SLI/Crossfire and a case that has good airflow and space for large video cards.

    If you ask for a tasty apple and get a tastier orange it's not really the same thing now is it?.
  9. If anyone builds a $1000 gaming system with an AMD :pt1cable:
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product