ASUS P8Z77-Pro Fans compatible with four pins?

DW2012

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hi,

I have a P8Z77-V Pro in an Antec P280.

Can anyone recommend good 120mm chassis fans compatible with the motherboard's 4-pin connector?

Thanks!

DW2012

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hi,

Yes, thanks, I've been reading up. Ideally, four pin so that there can be control (for noise as well as performance). I was looking at the Cougar Vortex PWM or the Noctua NF-P12 PWM. Both 120mm.

Advice?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Just so you know, 3 wire fans are also able to have their speed controlled by the board's BIOS. Instead of Pulse Width Modulation, it simply uses variable voltage to controll the fan motor's speed.
But if you want a 4 wire fan with PWM to make use of the 4 pin headers and you want quiet, look for low decibel ratings. And remember that larger fans are generally quieter than smaller fans. Did you want a fan recommendation?

DW2012

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Hi, again,

Thanks for that. I'm wanting to get two more fans for other the front of the P280 or midcase. What would you recommend? Something that is quiet at low RPM but moves a lot of air through the case?

The reason I mentioned four pin, is because I just assumed that was required as the Z77 has four four-pin chassis inputs.

Thanks very much!

DW

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
From what I've found, your case is is limited to 120mm fans. The 2 120mm fans you listed are both good choices. I haven't used either one, but their specs are good as are their user ratings. Unless you want a lighted fan, I'd get a pair of either of them.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

zeusthunder

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Just to be clear:
The Asus P8Z77-V PRO board has a total of 6 fan headers, 4 chassis headers, 1 cpu header, and 1 cpu optional header.
4 Chassis = 3 or 4 pin compatible
cpu and cpu opt. = only 4 pin compatible