Sign in with
Your question

Computer Problems! No Display, No USB power, read for more!

Last response: in Motherboards
June 18, 2012 1:03:38 AM

Hello guys! I've built this computer up, and worked when I booted up, but has gotten problems. My PC got this problem when one day, I switched my ram around, and then my display had no signal, as well as my mouse and keyboard weren't getting any power. I figured this out as my mouse doesn't light up when I plug it in to that specific computer, but works on others. I've had this problem once before, and the guy I took it to fixed because he said there was a loose stick of RAM. Also, there are no Motherboard beeps, and my PC doesn't turn off immediately with the power button.

Specs are listed here:
GTX 560
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
MSI 770-G45 Mobo
Cention 8GB Ram
Seagate 500GB HDD
CoolerMaster 700w PSU
a c 324 V Motherboard
June 18, 2012 1:46:10 AM

You may not be seating your memory sticks correctly. Open the latches on the sockets all the way. Insert the RAM sticks and press down on the ends. The latches should snap into the notches on the RAM sticks. If they aren't fully into the notches, the sticks aren't seated correctly.

When you press the power button to shut down your system, you have to hold it for 5 seconds or so before the system will power down. That's the normal way it works. But why would you want to shut down your system that way?
June 18, 2012 2:01:20 AM

I'll be checking the Ram right now, but I was a little confused at first cause my other PC shuts down at a touch. lol, thanks, keep posting if you have any other ideas guys!
Related resources
a c 324 V Motherboard
June 18, 2012 2:06:07 AM

If pressing down on the ends of the sticks doesn't automatically snap the latches into the notches, it's OK to 'help' them into the notches. The main thing is that the latches are in the notches. That indicates the sticks are seated deeply enough to make good electrical connection with the slot contacts.
June 18, 2012 3:02:27 AM

Okay, I looked in the case and the parts of ends stick out
a c 324 V Motherboard
June 18, 2012 3:06:28 AM

I hope you meant to say they are sticking fully in the notches.

Check for any wires you could have accidently pulled loose.
June 18, 2012 3:44:19 AM

So far, I don't think I see any wires. I secured the RAM, no difference, any other Ideas?
a c 324 V Motherboard
June 18, 2012 2:45:21 PM

Are your mouse and keyboard both USB? If so, Plugged into the back ports or the front ports?
June 18, 2012 10:49:16 PM

Backports
a c 324 V Motherboard
June 19, 2012 12:04:58 AM

Goldenarc said:
Backports

Those are, obviously, directly off the board. That makes me think you have a bad motherboard. Before all else, try resetting the BIOS to default*. See if the USB ports become active. Check in BIOS to see if they are 'enabled'. They should be at default.

* if you have no (USB) keyboard at bootup, this will be impossible to do. Do you have an old PS3 keyboard available to use instead of USB?
June 23, 2012 8:22:53 PM

How i do that? Monkey confuse
June 23, 2012 8:25:00 PM

How to i reset the bios with no display?
a c 324 V Motherboard
June 23, 2012 9:30:26 PM

Goldenarc said:
How to i reset the bios with no display?

If you turn off the power and remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard, you can use the CLR CMOS jumper on the board to short the pins for a few seconds. Replace the jumper back on its original pins, replace the battery, and power back up. This will leave the board's BIOS in factory new state. The instructions are in your board's manual if you need it. But it's pretty simple to do.

Are you using on-board display or a discrete card?
June 24, 2012 12:25:18 AM

discrete card, No onboard video
!