Modfied Setup... Need feedback

bluewavesix

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I posted yesterday about a setup. I'd done some more research on the suggestions made (Thank you to all that helped), and have come up with the following setup:

Okay, so I've modified my setup:

-COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

---I'm not dead set on a case right now, but its between this one and the Fractal XL. Fractal is out of stock as of right now. The only thing I don't like about the Fractal Design case is that it does not appear to have a top vent. I MIGHT get the Antec Lanboy Air, but I'm not sure. My instinct says no...

-ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

---I like the features of the Asus P8Z68 series, and I was going to buy the pro; however, it seems like there are issues with the PCIe lanes if I ever wanted to have a 2 card SLI setup. I read on one of the reviews here that if you use the bottom slot it shuts off controllers or other PCIe slots/lanes. I'm hoping this MB doesn't do that. If it does, then I will go with the much cheaper Z68 from ASRock.

-EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP ...

---Just seemed to be best price for performance card for me.

-SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

---Too much juice? Not enough?

-Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

---Pretty much set on this chip

-XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler bracket included I7 i5 775 1155 AMD and dual fan push pull compatible

---I think this is adequate for my needs. Is there anything better within $45-$100range? I'd like the option to overclock, and I like the push-pull capabilities. I'm still not completely ruling out liquid cooling.

-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL

-I feel like this should be very good for my needs. I don't plan on OCing memory, as I don't really have experience in doing so.

-Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

-Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

-TP-LINK TL-WN722N USB 2.0 High Gain Wireless Adapter

My main concern is the MB. The Asus P8Z68-V Pro lacks a PLX chip/bridge which will interfere with any peripherals if I decide to add some one later. I may later want to add a sound card with a front panel controls for media, or more likely a video capture card. Should I go with this board, or the ASRock? I like the Asus because of it's OC potential, buy maybe I could save $60 and just go with the ASRock.

So to me, this looks to be a SOLID build which should be more than capable of handling what I work with; Premier, After Effects, Maya, ZBrush, HD encoding, transcoding etc. Might not be bad for gaming either... Opinions?

Solution
The ASRock has a good OC potential too. Using the UEFI presets you can get the 2600K to run at 4.9 GHz. I have my 2500K running at 4.8 GHz on the UEFI preset. Plus, you can do trial & error and tweek it higher.